Biggest Gear Regret

TheGoalNet

On 3/9/2023 at 10:23 AM, chile57 said:

What the hell - I'll throw my hat in this ring...

I think I'd have to go with a set of custom Battrams I ordered back in February 2012. At the time - I was quoted five weeks. Without ever being appraised about any delays - they showed up some seventeen weeks later in June. Upon prompts from myself - I was told there were life and supply chain issues which I can totally understand. Admittedly I was a bit bummed that I was stuck tracking those answers down myself instead of being informed. What I couldn't understand was that none of the custom modifications we talked about (all agreed upon on the phone and followed up via email) were incorporated: no double break, no two piece trapper cuff, no no logos... and others I'm probably forgetting. Only after they were delivered and I asked was I given "reasons" for all these changes to what I'd asked for. Just completely left a bad taste in my mouth all around. I think I wore them maybe twice before I sold them off for well less than half what I had paid. Really just kind of turned me off not only to custom orders but smaller manufacturers for a bit. I guess since I'm talking about it over ten years later - maybe I'm still not over it. 🤔

I think I'm completely done with small manufacturers.  I don't know what it is about them not being able to hit dates.

What's really sad about the whole Battram situation is that instead of going online and being apologetic about it to the general public he started ripping back on people.  I think it had something to do with a divorce or separation he was going through at the time?

If it makes you feel any better, I once waited 15 months for a chest protector.  I provided an original for this small manufacturer to copy, they started selling them to NHLers and retail people before even starting on mine.  Original shipped 2/13/18 and received mine 5/7/2019

• Like 2

You're not wrong on any of the above @Chenner29. Credit where credit is due - I have had zero issues with some other smaller manufacturers (including Brown, PAW, Pro's Choice and Macmasks to name a few) but those few times you're left twisting in the wind kind of sour the whole lot unfortunately/unfairly. If its a small operation with one point of contact and you are getting stonewalled - you're mostly screwed. If I order some Vaughns or Warriors or whatever - I can get ahold of the shop where they were purchased (and bounce around on contacts if one is awful), the manufacturer, etc. I 100% get that life gets in the way - I 100% do NOT get ordering something completely custom and then having it show up with none of those requests incorporated - not only unapologetically but combatively as you noted above. There was no attempt even to offer to "make it right". Crazy.

Also - yes - its always strangely comforting to know that others share your pain (though your story seems to add a little salt to the wound). Misery loves company - right? Although I'm not wishing anything terrible on any of my fellow keepers.

8 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I think I'm completely done with small manufacturers.  I don't know what it is about them not being able to hit dates.

What's really sad about the whole Battram situation is that instead of going online and being apologetic about it to the general public he started ripping back on people.  I think it had something to do with a divorce or separation he was going through at the time?

If it makes you feel any better, I once waited 15 months for a chest protector.  I provided an original for this small manufacturer to copy, they started selling them to NHLers and retail people before even starting on mine.  Original shipped 2/13/18 and received mine 5/7/2019

Edited by chile57

• 4 weeks later...

I love the idea of this thread, but never could really think of anything I regretted with my gear. I just found some old pictures of me, and yes, when I say old I mean maybe 8 or so years ago only. Man, how great with this setup have looked if I just put sport gold padskins over the silver here! Ugh! I guess either way, the Hiller tribute was in full swing!

IMG_2281.JPG

IMG_2275 (1).JPG

Edited by A.YOUNGoalie13
  • Like 3

The only thing I would regret which isn’t bad but more annoying is getting a hyperlite blocker when I have mach leg pads and glove. Like I said more annoying than anything not having a full matching set but at least it’s all all white so not that noticeable. 

5 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

I love the idea of this thread, but never could really think of anything I regretted with my gear. I just found some old pictures of me, and yes, when I say old I mean maybe 8 or so years ago only. Man, how great with this setup have looked if I just put sport gold padskins over the silver here! Ugh! I guess either way, the Hiller tribute was in full swing!

IMG_2281.JPG

IMG_2275 (1).JPG

KOHO 4ever 😎

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Biggest recent gear regret for me was ordering a Mach glove instead of hyperlite with my last set. I couldn’t catch with that thing no matter what I did to it and the shape threw off my stance

In my opinion you did make that thing pretty good tho. Way better to close then my stock Mach glove which I love. 

1 hour ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Biggest recent gear regret for me was ordering a Mach glove instead of hyperlite with my last set. I couldn’t catch with that thing no matter what I did to it and the shape threw off my stance

I got a mach a few months back for the purpose of trying it out. I really like how it catches, but you're right, the shape is weird. It messes me up especially when I'm projecting my hands in tight.

• Like 1

Not buying PAW knee pads sooner.  After years of thinking about it, but instead going with off the shelf solutions, I finally ordered a pair a few months back.  Not that my other knee pads were terrible, but I’m absolutely in love with the PAWs.  Even over a pair of compression pants - with no garter (I did get the garter JIC), no socks, no tape - they don’t budge.  While I haven’t taken a shot directly off them yet, the protection seems bulletproof - at least as good, and likely better than what I have used previously.  They obviously fit like a glove, move like an extension of my leg, and look great in Kelly green!