Biggest Gear Regret

TheGoalNet

2 hours ago, GoalieNut said:

I wonder what happened with whoever was behind Litespeed?  I know they went under or closed but did they go on to one of the other companies?

I knew the person and he didn't go to another company to make any gear,  Sean just stopped making gear. I knew him quite well back on the gsbb.   

Choosing Bauer's 1S knee guards over the 1X. I had Supreme knee guards before that, and they were great, but I'm on the ice 200+ times per year, so I go through gear fairly quickly. That said, figured this was just a continuation of the Supreme knee guards that I knew and loved. I couldn't have been more fucking wrong if I tried.

The 1S set was awful. The segments didn't overlap properly, and I took several awful shots to the bottom of the thigh...right above the kneecap. On top of that, I couldn't get the Curv segment to stay formed to my liking, and it rubbed the side of my thighs raw. Worst. Product. Ever.

Edited by madguitarist
  • Like 1

On 12/26/2019 at 4:48 PM, Chenner29 said:

Back in the mid-2000s, I bought a pair of RBK Premier 1 gloves off Nick Boucher on GSBB.  I forget what team he was playing for at the time, but the gloves were awesome.  Far and away the best 580 break glove I have worn - and those who have been around gear long enough know that as far as feel on gloves go, there are differences between gloves even in the same model year depending on how it is built/bound/strung together.

Were those P1 gloves white with dark green trim?? If so they would of been from his time here in the UK league; he moved over here around the same time I found the GSBB and back then it was pretty novel that you'd have insights from a pro on a BB. 

As far as my own gear regrets:

- Vaughn SLW XP glove (senior level) came from a well used pro V3 and the SLW was garbage, I can't remember ever catching anything cleanly in it 

- Bauer NXG C/A: body was great, mobile plenty of protection but the arms were terribly designed and had no protection down the sides - always felt like I was a shot away from having my arms broken. glad to see they addressed this in the 1S & 2S models

- Continuing to use Warrior foam cores: they always break the same way after a while...bottom of the blade cracks, foam spills out and the blade is immediately compromised.  Bought two CCM 1060s on a whim, and after 2yrs they're still going strong with no blade damage whatsoever

5 minutes ago, raucebyalien said:

Were those P1 gloves white with dark green trim?? If so they would of been from his time here in the UK league; he moved over here around the same time I found the GSBB and back then it was pretty novel that you'd have insights from a pro on a BB. 

- Vaughn SLW XP glove (senior level) came from a well used pro V3 and the SLW was garbage, I can't remember ever catching anything cleanly in it 

- Bauer NXG C/A: body was great, mobile plenty of protection but the arms were terribly designed and had no protection down the sides - always felt like I was a shot away from having my arms broken. glad to see they addressed this in the 1S & 2S models

- Continuing to use Warrior foam cores: they always break the same way after a while...bottom of the blade cracks, foam spills out and the blade is immediately compromised.  Bought two CCM 1060s on a whim, and after 2yrs they're still going strong with no blade damage whatsoever

No, they were white and navy Premier 1s.

1 hour ago, raucebyalien said:

I had the complete opposite outcome with my Warrior foam core sticks.  They were tanks for me.  

26 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I had the complete opposite outcome with my Warrior foam core sticks.  They were tanks for me.  

me too, i regularly used a warrior sr2 for over a year and it never broke till i snapped it in half one day. i got a swagger pro 2 for christmas and have used it twice so far and so far so good, but the paints starting to chip. i find the stick itself holds up extremely well but the paint does not.

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

1 hour ago, Max27 said:

me too, i regularly used a warrior sr2 for over a year and it never broke till i snapped it in half one day. i got a swagger pro 2 for christmas and have used it twice so far and so far so good, but the paints starting to chip. i find the stick itself holds up extremely well but the paint does not.

Willing to admit some of it might be how I use sticks - I'm quite active with the blade to break up passes etc and when I'm in butterfly the blade tends to be angled about 60 degrees back meaning the underside of the blade is exposed and takes some abuse. 

That said, the CCM 1060's have still been a lot more hardy in that respect - probably due to the graphite layers in the blade. (for comparison the Warriors I've had are Swagger TF2's, Rinne pro returns and the retail Swaggers. Also had a couple of Vaughn branded sticks from the same Finnish Warrior / Montreal factory that had the same happen to them) 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

CCM Premier 1.9 chest protector. Was wearing a older Warrior c/a and took a shot right above the funny bone and decided it was time for an upgrade. I chose the CCM because, not being an overly wide guy, it was big so seemed like it would offer good coverage and it also had really good protection for the inside of the arm. Took a little time to get used to and adjusted but after the very first skate the belly extension fell off. It looked like it was only sewn on in 3 small areas. After a few months of skating in it, one of the leather loops on the side that the elastic straps run through to tighten it to your stomach had ripped off. One of the last times I used it, I had found that one of the plastic cinch clips on the elastic straps was broken. And for the entire time of wearing it, my arm would always bind up on the shoulder floater when drinking from my water bottle. Switched back to a Warrior GT2 and I can't say enough good things about it. Wore it right away to a league game and after one period I was completely comfortable in it. The shoulders are extremely mobile, it's light, and it is ridiculously comfortable to wear. It is a big C/A but not bulky.

ccmr19chest_07358949-050f-424d-b7c1-30a37df58a17_1200x.jpg

Warrior-Ritual-GT2-Goalie-Chest-Protector-Front_1024x1024.jpg

I don't really have any big gear regrets but i'd say back when the reebok premier 2 came on the market i regret not buying the MAF all yellow with silver accent and buying all withe with yellow accent because i didn'T wanted to wait till they got a new shipment back and i wanted them now 😭

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xdave90x said:

I don't really have any big gear regrets but i'd say back when the reebok premier 2 came on the market i regret not buying the MAF all yellow with silver accent and buying all withe with yellow accent because i didn'T wanted to wait till they got a new shipment back and i wanted them now 😭

Loved MAF's Premier 2's. I didn't have that colour combo, but I loved my blue/white/silver set back in the day. 

• 2 years later...
On 11/29/2019 at 1:28 PM, WillyGrips13 said:

Then the Vaughn XP's (More like a 6000 line). I forgot I had the gloves, too. Should've kept these, too. Just had to figure out the toe-ties. Only picture I could find was this damaged polaroid.

Image-20.thumb.jpg.db5746293cfc8b5bbcea8e6c3043fc09.jpg

I've been thinking about this set recently. I found the eBay receipt for these an subsequently found a CD that had the pictures of these on them.

Vaughn.jpg.c572f68ee6168b74aeffa5a4fd36a949.jpgVaughn2.jpg.43eb5d6fb350da6b3ca449990dd22410.jpgVaughnLeg.jpg.520b8e89fd596c7d6d4c43750afb6732.jpgVaughnLeg3.thumb.jpg.8846ab38d4816d5bdeb55bebc441860f.jpgVaughnLeg2.jpg.13ffb06ecf4a3bff066c091ee5194161.jpgVaughn5.jpg.64f54857742391a155e063ea81726e57.jpgVaughnLeg5.thumb.jpg.b74bda6e4697840a531e79e528ff6918.jpg

These were always curious to me because I never saw pads branded as XP looking like these. These look like 6000s. Later XPs were the senior version of Velocitys.

Still mad I got rid of these. I just hope the people who bought these (Gloves and pads sold separately) enjoyed them.

VaughnLeg6.jpg

VaughnLeg4.jpg

Vaughn6.jpg

Vaughn4.jpg

Vaughn3.jpg

• Like 1

What the hell - I'll throw my hat in this ring...

I think I'd have to go with a set of custom Battrams I ordered back in February 2012. At the time - I was quoted five weeks. Without ever being appraised about any delays - they showed up some seventeen weeks later in June. Upon prompts from myself - I was told there were life and supply chain issues which I can totally understand. Admittedly I was a bit bummed that I was stuck tracking those answers down myself instead of being informed. What I couldn't understand was that none of the custom modifications we talked about (all agreed upon on the phone and followed up via email) were incorporated: no double break, no two piece trapper cuff, no no logos... and others I'm probably forgetting. Only after they were delivered and I asked was I given "reasons" for all these changes to what I'd asked for. Just completely left a bad taste in my mouth all around. I think I wore them maybe twice before I sold them off for well less than half what I had paid. Really just kind of turned me off not only to custom orders but smaller manufacturers for a bit. I guess since I'm talking about it over ten years later - maybe I'm still not over it. 🤔

Edited by chile57
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...