Biggest Gear Regret

TheGoalNet

Ever torn between two pieces of gear and regretted it years later? Post it here 

Mine was Heaton Z and Koho 580. Loved my 580 set, but I've come to appreciate that the Heaton Z was ahead of its time and I had silly reasons for not buying them.   This is probably one of those decisions I'd regret either way, if I had went with the Zs, I'd probably regret not getting the 580s haha

On 3/25/2017 at 5:08 PM, TheGoalNet said:

What was so bad about the flat face?

I just wasn't used to it.  I had taken some time off while I was deployed to Iraq and was still wearing the old Bauer Reactor 4 pads.  Plus I was just playing roller at the time.  I had no idea how to do toe ties***, when I wore the Reactors I didn't use ties.  So my first time out with the one95 I had severe over rotation in both directions.  They were just all over the place.  They lasted one period on my legs and I went back to the Reactors during the intermission haha.  This is when I ended up going with the Velocity 4.

***Fun fact: This is how I found the GSBB.  I googled "How to tie toe ties" and that was one of if not the first link that came up haha.

• Like 1

Not picking up a brians dx2 pro chest protector due to price.  Have never found anything that fit as well and I sure liked the idea of the floating neck protector.  

Second regret would be not picking up a second Koho goalie mask while they were still available.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Bauer Nxg skates. 

Loved the feel and performance that came with them, unfortunately my feet absolutely don't fit bauer toe caps. 

I made a very solid effort to make it work but it just left me with massive foot pain on and off the ice. So I had to shelve them 

Got a good deal on them, so wasn't too upset at my loss, but was unable to sell them off due to my foot size. Ended up going to a consignment 

Bought Eagle Fusions.  They were great flat faced pads just werent for me.  I've always been better in softer pads.

Selling most of my old stuff is big regret.  I used to have a pair of areoflex pads back in the day.  Sold them and my koho 550 pads.  Should have hung onto more gear.

Before I joined GSBB, I got my fix of goalie gear simply by surfing eBay. I bought so much gear in the mid-2000s because of it. I did sell most of it after I tried it for a while.

Two sets of leg pads I bought during that period I now regret selling. Heaton Brodeur-series pads that were nearly new. I sold them because they didn’t match the colors of my gloves (idiot!🤯). I played well in them in the limited time I had them. The other set was a Vaughn set that was similar to the 6000 series although I think they were officially XPs. Different from the XPs that later came out and were cheaper versions of the Velocity. I never got these pads dialed in right. I know now that it was likely due to the toe-tie situation and had I known about all the knowledge available to me on the GSBB, I likely would have figured out how to make them work. Interestingly, since joining GSBB and now here, I buy less gear because I have the knowledge of what will work best for me. 

Edited by WillyGrips13
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RyanR3KC said:

These aren’t worth buying. The material is cheap and tears easy and the “padding” is also poorly made. 

https://www.goaliemonkey.com/vaughn-goalie-accessories-velocity-ve8-compression-pant-sr.html

Got a pair as well and agree the padding insets “smooshed” after a single skate. Love the crotch / butt vent though 😄

Worst thing I ever did was getting a Battram XLP catch glove.   Coming from a T3500 with a U break, the V style break in the Battram glove was really hard to get used to and the extra 4 inches around the perimeter threw the balance off horribly.  That XLP was the first of many regrettable choices I made in gloves until I found my way back to my VE8.  I don't get it out often anymore as it doesn't match either custom set I have and the CCM 590 and Warrior 75 degree breaks work well enough, but I'm planning to hang on to it as a backup for a while.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2019 at 6:04 PM, WillyGrips13 said:

Before I joined GSBB, I got my fix of goalie gear simply by surfing eBay. I bought so much gear in the mid-2000s because of it. I did sell most of it after I tried it for a while.

Two sets of leg pads I bought during that period I now regret selling. Heaton Brodeur-series pads that were nearly new. I sold them because they didn’t match the colors of my gloves (idiot!🤯). I played well in them in the limited time I had them. The other set was a Vaughn set that was similar to the 6000 series although I think they were officially XPs. Different from the XPs that later came out and were cheaper versions of the Velocity. I never got these pads dialed in right. I know now that it was likely due to the toe-tie situation and had I known about all the knowledge available to me on the GSBB, I likely would have figured out how to make them work. Interestingly, since joining GSBB and now here, I buy less gear because I have the knowledge of what will work best for me. 

Quoting myself so I can add pictures and more content.

Boddam Blaze pads I used at the end of high school and through college. They were my first brand new pads. I played well in them, but they were just too small by the time I was fully grown. Using them here in adult league. Woman by my feet is my girlfriend still to this day. Image-22.thumb.jpg.a156088ad3c95b27c35b27c93b3f6224.jpg

Got the original Vaughn Velocity pads as my second brand new set. This photo was playing for a adult league team that travelled to Vegas for a tournament. Incidentally, the guy kneeling next to me has a son now in the Red Wings organization, Robert Mastrosimone. He played at Shattuck St. Mary's, for Chicago Steel in the USHL and is now at Boston University. He was probably two or three when this picture was taken.

Image-23.thumb.jpg.51d75e8af784bc4c4e7a618c6f6527ac.jpg

Although I played well in the Velocity pads, I did have some difficulty with them that led me to try out some more traditional pads while still holding on to the Velocities. 

First the aforementioned Brodeur Heaton's. Look at how new they look. Should've kept them! As you can see by all the awesome technology behind me, this is an old picture.

Image-19.thumb.jpg.14d3a83f2040ce5c20d658b84083c841.jpg

Then the Vaughn XP's (More like a 6000 line). I forgot I had the gloves, too. Should've kept these, too. Just had to figure out the toe-ties. Only picture I could find was this damaged polaroid.

Image-20.thumb.jpg.db5746293cfc8b5bbcea8e6c3043fc09.jpg

I bought and sold plenty of other gear, some I probably don't even remember. Now I am rotating between two sets I've had for seven plus years.

Edited by WillyGrips13

Giving Agatone my money for gear and never seeing an ounce of it.

Selling my Heaton Helite Z pads.

Missing out on a brand new pro-return H5 c/a by a couple minutes.

Buying 452 CCM Tacks...ohhh my feet!!!

Buying a Miller c/a (not from Glen but from Paul at the GSBB) that turned out to be a full right and thin as shit. I was never told.