Biggest Gear Regret

TheGoalNet

On 11/29/2019 at 12:20 PM, RichMan said:

Giving Agatone my money for gear and never seeing an ounce of it.

Selling my Heaton Helite Z pads.

Missing out on a brand new pro-return H5 c/a by a couple minutes.

Buying 452 CCM Tacks...ohhh my feet!!!

Buying a Miller c/a (not from Glen but from Paul at the GSBB) that turned out to be a full right and thin as shit. I was never told.

A full right c/a? How long ago was that?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RichMan said:

Almost 20 years ago or so.

John Brown used to (might still) offer regular or full-right setups on demand.

I do believe he still does offer the option of a catch left or full right cladding for his chesties. I know it was standard to specify left or right catch hand for a John Brown for a long time.

3 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Why would you not on a custom chesty? Silly not to IMO

Because in this day and age of the mindset of the "disposable society" , even with custom, people still buy with the thought of future selling the piece.  Having full right limits re-sale value.  

• Thanks 1

Brian's sticks, True sticks, Bauer NME mask. Hated them all.

But by far the worst were my Eflex 400's. It was my first set, but I wish I would have done more research or increased my budget before I got them. I HATED that set so much. The trapper was like concrete to close. The nylon buckles were so annoying and never rotated right. The pads were as heavy as cinder blocks with unpredictable rebounds. They came with Toe Hooks and I hated those too. Eventually moved to Supreme One.9's and now I'm on my fifth set of Bauer's. But man, I doubt I'll ever seriously consider Eflex pads because there's still a bad taste in my mouth.

On 12/3/2019 at 5:39 AM, RichMan said:

Almost 20 years ago or so.

John Brown used to (might still) offer regular or full-right setups on demand.

Fair enough. I don't know that I've ever seen one like that in person though. I'd definitely love a couple of handedness tweaks to my c/a though.

17 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

True played well for me; that is the pity. I may try Warrior one of these days.

True sticks seem to be pretty hit or miss. I've never played with one, but holding them I don't think they'd be my thing based on their balance.

On 12/3/2019 at 10:08 PM, ThatCarGuy said:

I posted that right before I got it. It’s safe to say I’m not going back either if I can help it. Hopefully Warrior lasts longer than True.

I slammed my CR2 into the post the other night; full-on baseball style, edge of the paddle, chopping through the post kind of motion. The impact, right where my stick met the post, chewed up the outer layer a bit. But, so far as I can tell, that's all it did. Pretty sure if I got some epoxy and glued the fragments down (or taped them down) it would be perfectly serviceable.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, keeperton said:

Fair enough. I don't know that I've ever seen one like that in person though. I'd definitely love a couple of handedness tweaks to my c/a though.

True sticks seem to be pretty hit or miss. I've never played with one, but holding them I don't think they'd be my thing based on their balance.

Weirdly, a large enough knob on the end made it feel okay for me. I always cut 4-6” from the shaft for better leverage when I (poorly) play the puck. I love the way pucks launch from these with little effort. 

I noticed a spare had some cracks on the edge of the paddle when I was re-taping my edge. I am quite active with the stick and it could be actually cracked if these sticks are as fragile as their rep says. Did not bother to look to see if it was superficial or structural. I throw my car wrap material on (I hate advertising for other people) and it’s covered. I should flex the stick to check. 

I am in love with the Bauer Reactor Hybrids, but my current beef with Monkey prevents me from buying any more, even at 2/$100.

Edited by bunnyman666

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Gunleather said:

I wish I would have tried Bauer skates sooner. I always wore CCM then found a set of Bauer Supreme 7000 at the local pro shop when they were cleaning out old never sold items. They fit my so much better then the CCM’s. I still ware my old Super Tacks when I skate out. 

Of course Bauer Supreme 7000 and modern Bauers (heck-most modern skates for that matter) are like comparing apples to pineapples. I think Graf still makes a skate like that on a 100% custom order, like a 705 or something; of course the dealer network for Graf is almost as bad as it is for Eagle (both Vaughn owned brands), so you may have trouble getting a skate like that again. 

6 hours ago, Gunleather said:

I wish I would have tried Bauer skates sooner. I always wore CCM then found a set of Bauer Supreme 7000 at the local pro shop when they were cleaning out old never sold items. They fit my so much better then the CCM’s. I still ware my old Super Tacks when I skate out. 

What size do you wear in the 7000s?

• Like 1

Back in the mid-2000s, I bought a pair of RBK Premier 1 gloves off Nick Boucher on GSBB.  I forget what team he was playing for at the time, but the gloves were awesome.  Far and away the best 580 break glove I have worn - and those who have been around gear long enough know that as far as feel on gloves go, there are differences between gloves even in the same model year depending on how it is built/bound/strung together.