Gear changes

ethanallen

I am getting the impression that many here wear gear, then switch. It's cool with me. My main sport was golf before and I was odd because my clubs are three generations old. I have re-shafted my driver and putter a few times, mainly due to growing, but my fitter and coach see no real reason to switch my equipment and all I do is think about my swing. I will probably replace my driver before next season, but I found a NOS Aeroburner driver that I will re-shaft with my favorite stiff flex shaft. My putter has been sinking putts for many years and I see no reason to change it. I have a Scottie Cameron that I will probably use until I quit. I have a feeling that I will be using my chest protector, neck guard and knee guards until they fall apart, as well as my new glove and blocker. I will stretch my pads as long as possible. Trying the Bauer GSX showed me how bad my TronX pads are LOL Am I an oddity in liking and sticking to what works? 

Had I not tried a buddy's Bauer GSX pad, I probably would have thought I was doomed to bad wearing TronX pads, so point taken. Those TronX are making saves but are heavy and falling apart. I have a feeling my gear will look like Irbes until it can't be repaired anymore. Until I got into Red Rooster Golf's subscrption program, I wore a golf glove that had holes and now I use the same gloves with my goalie gear. 

The only things I have changed that was not really necessary, is my glove and skates. Just because I have always wanted a 580 and now that Bauer makes one I finally got one. And my skates were because I got Konekts because they are supposed to be better for your knees and hips which I honestly feel a lot less strain on my knees and hips with them. Every thing else was because I outgrew it. Or sticks that were about to break but that doesn’t count. 

• Thanks 1

I've changed my equipment gradually over the 20 years since I returned to hockey. I used some for 4-5 years and changed them due to complete wear and tear, some in search of the most suitable one for me, including the transition from the lowest price category to pro. At the moment I have a set that completely suits me and I plan to change its parts only in case of complete destruction

• Like 2

In the past I would often change equipment pretty frequently (sometimes multiple times a season). It's been a struggle to find pieces that fit me well and perform how I'd like. I would love to say I'm in my forever set now but odds are I'll still upgrade when I can so long as the new versions aren't too different from the what I'm using now

I am surprised by the answers, but then again, I also know that I'm not so different. I have read many threads and Instagram posts about people who are constantly trying to get the perfect set up and never do because they are trying for all the latest and greatest things on the market. I am not against finding what can make you play better, I was not certain about going with a stiff golf club shaft on my driver and irons until I tried it, and I was getting great numbers on my yardages. @Wonder35 inspired me to write this post. 

• Like 1

I stick with what I like and run it into the ground. only update when necassary or if protection becomes an issue.

As much as I would love to have a endless money pit to sink into gear and rotate multiple sets, if I'm honest with myself I would likely prefer going with one set of gear for the conistant feel alone. 

To each their own though. That's what makes this sport/position so interesting. Many different goalies out there who all like different things..

Edited by creasecollector

6 minutes ago, creasecollector said:

I stick with what I like and run it into the ground. only update when necassary or if protection becomes an issue.

As much as I would love to have a endless money pit to sink into gear and rotate multiple sets, if I'm honest with myself I would likely prefer going with one set of gear for the conistant feel alone. 

To each their own though. That's what makes this sport/position so interesting. Many different goalies out there who all like different things..

This ☝️

I understand those who go through multiple sets to test the waters, but those who actually rotate through 3-4-5-6 different sets, brands, even styles...not for me. Getting comfortable in just one piece of equipment, let alone a full set is enough of a challenge on itself. If it works, it stays. If it doesn't, back on the selling block it goes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@RichMan I think I am understanding where this is going. I am in a place where I don't have the extra funds to buy and sell, so I guess that I have always adapted to my equipment. I had no idea how long I was going to be playing goal, so I bought what felt okay. TronX pads are going to be trash pretty soon because of the five plus ice times a week. LT80 chesty was in sorry shape. My Eagle blocker is pretty amazing for how old it is, as is my Battram leather trapper. Heck I could keep it going.  

• Like 2

My Battram Leather Gloves IMG_1843.thumb.jpeg.99d4b457fdd101e526ae98ccdbb91b8b.jpegare my only set. I don’t wear their matching Battram pads as much (heavy) but near 15 years late the gloves are my choice. Granted, leather demands some upkeep but the dividends ………

My arthritic hands suffer less hurt due to the leather absorbing much of the shock from a hard shot.

Edited by Wonder35
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@ethanallen, not at all. 

Even though I suck when I am not injured, I have used the same pads since 1982. There's film floating around here some where with my real mask when buildings let me use it.

I've tried modern pads but they just killed my hips and going from 13 lbs dry down to 8 ounces for each leg made me feel top heavy and off balance. The biggest change I made was replacing my Brown blocker and Vaughn T1000 (Mr. Vaughn was shocked any one still used that model) with Passau gloves. 

Use what works for you!

Edited by Fullright
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fullright said:

@ethanallen, not at all. 

Even though I suck when I am not injured, I have used the same pads since 1982. There's film floating around here some where with my real mask when buildings let me use it.

I've tried modern pads but they just killed my hips and going from 13 lbs dry down to 8 ounces for each leg made me feel top heavy and off balance. The biggest change I made was replacing my Brown blocker and Vaughn T1000 (Mr. Vaughn was shocked any one still used that model) with D&R gloves. 

Use what works for you!

First time I strapped on modern pads, as soon as my skates touched the ice, I fell on my ass. The difference was massive and my brain wasn't ready lolll.

The T1000 or T1010 was quite popular just a decade ago in these forums. Mine was a pro return under Eagle (who were previously with Vaughn). Kenesky makes a beautiful copy. If you want all leather, Glen Miller is your man. I'd love to see John Brown produce one of his original copies.

Which D&R gloves you use? I had a thing for the S4D and I did use a Quantum blocker that was well balanced.

@RichMan & @ethanallen, apologies gentlemen. My gloves are Passau (60 degree catch glove with floating double T - no palm padding (guess I like pain more than pop outs) and Passau blocker (cant recall the name of the pattern on the front). When I wrote D&R, I meant to say my pads (LG55#31).

Sorry about that. 

Edited by Fullright

42 minutes ago, Fullright said:

@RichMan & @ethanallen, apologies gentlemen. My gloves are Passau (60 degree catch glove with floating double T - no palm padding (guess I like pain more than pop outs) and Passau blocker (cant recall the name of the pattern on the front). When I wrote D&R, I meant to say my pads (LG55#31).

Sorry about that. 

How dare you mislead us like that!! ;) :P 

• Like 1

Well, my pads are RichMan's old V1 pads. I think they're 1999 edition.

V1 Blocker that I have repalmed a few times.

T4000 catch because it's the best.

I think the Bauer stick I started using again I bought a long time ago. I retired it and recently put it back in service... maybe a 2010. Don't laugh, I used it for roller only for years then retired it.

IMG_9829.JPG

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MTH said:

Well, my pads are RichMan's old V1 pads. I think they're 1999 edition.

V1 Blocker that I have repalmed a few times.

T4000 catch because it's the best.

I think the Bauer stick I started using again I bought a long time ago. I retired it and recently put it back in service... maybe a 2010. Don't laugh, I used it for roller only for years then retired it.

IMG_9829.JPG

I can never not comment how I love the bucket. 

• Like 3