Bauer 2024 - Shadow

ZeroGravitas

This line is no revolution it seems like.

Supreme is the goal line that checks all my boxes for gear, likely upgrading my Mach to shadow. Still torn on the glove wrist strap however, I do not have one on my mach and it feels great, and I have trouble seeing why bauer would add it back when Supreme is in all honesty pretty much a custom only line at this point.

55 minutes ago, maxtm30 said:

Supreme is the goal line that checks all my boxes for gear, likely upgrading my Mach to shadow. Still torn on the glove wrist strap however, I do not have one on my mach and it feels great, and I have trouble seeing why bauer would add it back when Supreme is in all honesty pretty much a custom only line at this point.

I bet ya you can order it without wrist strap. The standard Pro Custom option. 

1 minute ago, maxtm30 said:

Yeah @coopaloop1234, I know I can. It’s just a bit jarring to see bauer do a 180 on something when they rarely do. 

I think the Mach did so poorly that they reverted back to a more Ultrasonic style build. What they needed to do was to refine the Mach ROM system and it would have been great.

From what I know, the Shadow wrist strap is a thinner, more low profile variant than what Bauer traditionally has used. Kind of a middle ground. 

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 4:28 PM, TheGoalNet said:

You bought good gear. The "lack" of sales is just due to lack of education, people being scared to take a risk, etc

The lack of sales also is contributed to people knowing what they like.. I wouldn't say people are uneducated because they prefer a soft pad to a stiff pad, nor if they prefer a hand closure to a pinching closure. 

2 hours ago, Madmedic6 said:

The lack of sales also is contributed to people knowing what they like.. I wouldn't say people are uneducated because they prefer a soft pad to a stiff pad, nor if they prefer a hand closure to a pinching closure. 

I was using eflex before switch to a supreme 2s pro back in 2018 (feels like decades ago at this point). I took a risk based on what I didn’t like on my past setups and It paid off in my case. 

I also sold hockey gear for half a decade and a lot people (players and goalies alike) definitely have a lot of inertia when it comes to trying new things. Sometimes you think you know what you like but maybe you actually don’t.

1 hour ago, maxtm30 said:

I was using eflex before switch to a supreme 2s pro back in 2018 (feels like decades ago at this point). I took a risk based on what I didn’t like on my past setups and It paid off in my case. 

I also sold hockey gear for half a decade and a lot people (players and goalies alike) definitely have a lot of inertia when it comes to trying new things. Sometimes you think you know what you like but maybe you actually don’t.

Valid statement. 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 9:36 AM, maxtm30 said:

Most CCM 580 pro goalies are using the 580 with the Cross Form (no wrist strap). I don't think Bauer was wrong to remove the wrist strap. Better still be on the customizer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

Most CCM 580 pro goalies are using the 580 with the Cross Form (no wrist strap). I don't think Bauer was wrong to remove the wrist strap. Better still be on the customizer.

Do you have evidence of the crossform strap being used in normal 580s?

Seems 50/50 since Levi and Demko have traditional 580s while Markstrom and Skinner share a custom glove build with the 5#1 backhand (and presumably crossform strap) on a normal 580 build

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

Mach is my favourite glove of all time. Fingers crossed it is. 

Now, the elephant in the room, let’s talk about that stick graphic 🤯

image.thumb.png.7fcf29e5c5d6a653b3a061ebe94398e5.png

1 minute ago, maxtm30 said:

Mach is my favourite glove of all time. Fingers crossed it is. 

Now, the elephant in the room, let’s talk about that stick graphic 🤯

image.thumb.png.7fcf29e5c5d6a653b3a061ebe94398e5.png

Hopefully this means we can finally get supreme sticks with a white paddle

Edited by ThatCarGuy

Just now, ThatCarGuy said:

Hopefully this means we can finally get supreme sticks with a white paddle

Not sure about this, the logo will likely have the background’s colour with a chrome/iridescent outline.

Maybe white paddle paint but they’ll lock white from the paddle graphic?

6 hours ago, maxtm30 said:

To be fair, in a retail environment you're asking someone to make the leap from one type of pad to another at a price tag north of 3k for a full pro setup.   It's understandable that some folks may be risk adverse at that number.    Stores that do demo/loaner sets are doing more to push acceptance of new features forward than just about any other channel.   A lot of people who try something new realize how much R/D went into ensuring that new features will meet with broad acceptance.

18 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

To be fair, in a retail environment you're asking someone to make the leap from one type of pad to another at a price tag north of 3k for a full pro setup.   It's understandable that some folks may be risk adverse at that number.    Stores that do demo/loaner sets are doing more to push acceptance of new features forward than just about any other channel.   A lot of people who try something new realize how much R/D went into ensuring that new features will meet with broad acceptance.

Though, there are a lot more avenues for the general consumer to test out different brands and styles.  Sideline Swap has been a bit of a godsend for me nailing down my preferences. 

In less than two years I've had the ability to test:

- Bauer 2S Pro Set
- Warrior G5 Pro Set
- VE8 Pro Carbon C/A
- Bauer Pants
- Bauer 3S
- Bauer 2X Pro Catcher
- Bauer Hyperlite Catcher
- Bauer Mach Set
- Another G5 Catcher with INT liner
- Bauer Mach C/A
- Bauer Ultrasonic Catcher

These are just from Sideline Swap or GGSU and don't include any store demo's or new purchases. If I hadn't been able to test out a multitude of gear, my preferences would have been less adventurous for the same reasons you listed:

The price tag. 

I'm glad I've been able to explore in a most cost friendly manner. The Bauer gear I'm wearing (Leg pads, blocker, mask, C/A) are all up there for some of my favourite pieces I've ever worn and without this type of 3rd party reselling site, I'd still be in my Blue RGT2's.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I don’t think that sample size really says much in comparison to the True 580 users who use do use a wrist strap, with quite a few still using leather wrist straps. 

Edited by RedX

2 hours ago, RedX said:

I don’t think that sample size really says much in comparison to the True 580 users who use do use a wrist strap, with quite a few still using leather wrist straps. 

True does not offer a glove with no wrist strap, so that is not really a comparison? CCM made it available to their pro goalies and must switched.

Yes, small sample size, but validates that it's well received when promoted and well executed.

Most Bauer pros in Supreme use older glove models.

CCM's pros are also younger and possibly a little less set in their ways than the True guys.   I've always found it interesting that, despite having access to new toys with a much lower bar to entry than your average Joe, an awful lot of professional hockey players seem to cling to what they know as they age.   They'll update their training methods, eat better, work with new coaches to try different drills, etc.... but cling to the same old gear they've used forever.   And it's not just goalies.   The example I'm most familiar with is Filip Hronek.   Last year with Detroit he went from using a stick with a flat toe and a heel curve to a standard P28 curve and stuck with it all summer.   The result was his best offensive season and he netted a 1st and a 4th from Vancouver at the deadline.  At the start of the year we were hoping we'd get a 2nd for the guy!  

New gear certainly isn't a panacea for guys, but you really only see guys make a switch and try it out long term if they're in full blown desperation mode like Jack Campbell or Antti Ranta (who's already gone back to Brian's).  

To bring it back to CCM, removing the wrist strap makes the glove much more functional.   The easy range of motion was the best thing about Warrior gloves back in the day, and the CCM version I tried on last year felt amazing as well.   There's very little loss of attachment and much less resistance moving the glove around.    

Edited by Puckstopper
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

True does not offer a glove with no wrist strap, so that is not really a comparison? CCM made it available to their pro goalies and must switched.

Yes, small sample size, but validates that it's well received when promoted and well executed.

I still only count 50/50 as far as ccm 580s go. Who all is using the crossform strap in a 580 build?

7 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Fair I guess. But if the lack of a wrist strap was essential, the True guys would be wearing CCM.  

As you said all the Bauer guys have the option of a glove without a wrist strap and choose gloves with one. 

17 minutes ago, RedX said:

As you said all the Bauer guys have the option of a glove without a wrist strap and choose gloves with one. 

Probably because Bauer's wristless solution was just the deletion of the wrist strap and they didn't really change how the glove straps to your hand. 

CCM and Warrior both have multiple adjustment points and strap lower on your hand. Bauer is a one and done.