CCM Premier 2 Full Set - Pads Glove Blocker

CCM by Lefevre Premier 2 Full Set 

03CB1C2D-5FA3-4BD0-A7CD-EAE819B3D9D1.jpeg

When TGN and the website were first created, I may have picked on CCM a bit. I try to be as neutral as possible, and this next statement is probably somewhat of an exaggeration, but I was of the opinion that CCM is conservative and does not innovate anymore. As an outside observer, it looked like CCM waited until someone else created demand for new tech and then added it.

65C64B35-0548-4D45-8FDC-57C314656027.jpeg

The reality is that the CCM team has a history of innovation. They have invented as much gear technology as any company out there. There are some differences with CCM though and it's in how they innovate. The current CCM product team is the unique mixture of the Lefebvre family and the people behind Heaton, Koho, RBK, and Reebok. They are all working together and bringing decades of design experience to CCM.

D8835152-19A0-4731-B717-6A522BC9ADAB.jpeg

If we pause and just look at the innovations among that group; they are astounding. Heaton invented the stock graphic, Koho had the first molded pad face, RBK had the first molded solid core pad and adjustable strapping, Reebok started the conversation on pads generating hot rebounds, and the list goes on. Many of their designs, like the Blockade, were literally 10 years ahead of their time. 

6FC68F1D-0614-4607-86E3-04E58EE8427C.jpegThe Premier by Lefevre line is no different and has been around for over 10 years. Without wasting my time with a fact check, the Premier line is the longest active line of gear on the market or second to the Velocity. Like with anything, some releases have been evolutionary and others have been revolutions. The OG RBK Premier was a true revolution and nearly every company on the market tried to create a similar pad. Alliare / Giggy’s style was all the rage when that pad was created and people wanted something square and flat. The game and position have evolved just a bit since then. Price and Fleury probably best exemplify the 2 different modern styles of goaltending in 2018. Price is precise and reactionary. Fleury has solid fundamentals and uses his athleticism to meet the requirements of the save. Both guys incorporate modern techniques like RVH and neither looks anything like Giguere circa 2003 or really to each other.

12E10B09-5CAA-4326-A81D-1B90D4064FE3.jpeg

If we consider the evolution of the position, we must acknowledge the equipment has had to change with it. The P2 is the perfect evolution of that change. It has all the modern features you could want like a light weight core, materials to enhance sliding, no leather strapping, flexible boot, and hot rebounds. All this new tech does not compromise what the Premier is though. This revolutionary release will not lose any of the loyal Premier following among Pro and amateur goalies.

82989D06-F26F-4E16-9DA1-4769AA2F2298.jpeg

In terms of the on ice performance, the first and foremost thing I noticed about the P2 was the seal. The pads have a certain “snap” to them when they hit the ice. There is absolutely no room for a puck to slide under them. In a half dozen skates, I have not had a single instance of under or over rotation. Nearly every other pad I have worn will do it at least every couple of skates. I may bump into under rotation a bit more than your typical guy because I favor a tightly strapped pad, but it’s a non-issue with the Premier.

990A76F9-7956-415B-A908-E9F2EA5D759C.jpeg

I also feel like I am insanely square in this gear. I feel a bit bigger and bulkier, in a positive way, wearing this gear. I feel like Chara could wind up from below the circles and I’d just take it in stride. It’s a very confident feeling. The functionality of stiffness is something that CCM has really pioneered over the years. For anyone who wonders why they are number 1 in the NHL, with 50% of the NHL goalies in their gear, it’s not because of endorsements. It’s because of their set to set consistency and every innovation, like the seal, is solely performance based.

2CC8A6A7-DF97-4E1E-B23F-9F089C6D0500.jpeg

CCM is not going to spend valuable R&D time developing a way for beer league goalies to get their favorite “Rose Bud” setup they missed out on as a kid. They are going to figure out how light they can make a pad core before the seal is compromised. For anyone who has read the VTX review, you know that rigidity and a heavy weight usually go in hand in hand. By comparion; when you make something lighter, you typically make it softer.

With that context, CCM has done a special job of making the P2 sub 5lbs. It’s amazing they did it without compromising the Premier’s overall thigh rise stability or legendary seal. All of their removed weight should also not lead to early pad degradation, sag, or a torsionally warped pad core. The Lite Core Technology will give you some additional flexibility in the boot, which helps in tight for RVH, and also create CCM’s lightest pad to date. In typical CCM fashion, the innovation is under the hood and not a gimmick to make a 12 yr old consumer buy it.  

The other biggest thing I notice with the performance of the pads is the Max Rebound Technology. Nearly every other pad on the market achieves their hot rebounds by compounding the puck. The pad face is as hard as possible and the puck compresses at impact, like a golf ball hitting a titanium driver face. The shots' energy is then redirected away from the pads and the puck goes shooting off.

B6A7220B-6A56-4B0B-BF1D-737D1B721806.jpeg

CCM took a different approach. It’s another one of those innovations you can barely see. They went with a layer of softer foam in the face and a rock hard core behind it. The foam is similar to the cushioning one might find in a running shoe midsole.  There’s a material coupon of it included with the pads so you can see and squeeze the material. 

025F2117-56A7-4ADE-B191-A1ECFF777457.jpeg

Instead of compacting the puck, the CCM Max Rebound Technlology lets the pad foam compress and the foam’s energy redirects the puck away. The pucks fly off these things. CCM’s internal testing is done with a 75 mph shot. They found the P2 shoots pucks away 10 mph faster than the previous Premier.

For me, I noticed it more on the softer shots compared to pads with the harder face. Most pads on the market today are hot on the hard shots. CCM’s pads felt the most consistent to me on the widest range of shots. More shots of different speeds were able to be redirected further away from me.

D1988EA1-0C9A-4601-AAB6-DF9996932193.jpeg

Earlier in this article, we discussed firsts to market. CCM has innovated as much as anyone… but there’s a curious position to their current state of innovation. CCM is number 1 in the pros and retail. They have a winning formula. The burden is on them to incorporate the latest demands, without sacrificing their legendary consistency, feel, and seal. With the Quick Motion Strapping, CCM was not the first elastic strapping on the market, but they waited until they got it right.

9B851884-2B7D-492E-B2C3-BE015F4E725B.jpeg

Like with any design concept, there are better and worse versions of that same concept. Some of the other elastic straps on the market are downright cumbersome and many goalies modify the strapping. My demo P2 set has a tight fit leg channel, loose is stock, and no boot or Lundy strap. I can put on each pad in about 30 seconds. My setup is secured via 2X elastic straps and 1 nylon. The strapping can be worn snugly and feels connected when I am moving in my crease or recovering. As to be expected with CCM, and already mentioned earlier, the new strapping still rotates perfectly in the butterfly.

BC5EBB38-624C-4E7A-BE4F-D8BE4140AFD3.jpeg

The other cool thing with the strapping is that CCM has data  showing it gets the pads to the ice faster. To over simplify the research by Dr. Ryan Frayne at the University of W.Ontario, the nylon strapping on the wraps is more efficient at energy transfer than elastic. This gets the pads down 1.5 puck heights faster than competitor’s elastic strapping systems. That quantifies the elimination of squeakers.

E30EF8D6-A057-4E5B-B6E4-B0567EA29CE6.jpeg

Continuing with all the new technology in this pad, one of the most frequent questions I got during the initial test was “how well does the Speed Skin work?”. The simply answer is that they absolutely slide better than Jenpro or weave! I also believe that some NHL goalies will be converting to Speed Skin for 2019. Many people will love Speed Skin and it improves the overall performance of the pad. It will be most welcomed to anyone using older Premiers or traditional sliding materials.

However, I had somehow muted enthusiasm toward Speed Skin. This comes from comparing it to some of the other products available on the market. I found the Speed Skin to be a bit slower than other sliding specific materials and that it definitely loses some of its zip on choppy ice. The biggest place I notice this is starting from a static butterfly position and sliding across the crease. RVH post to post would be an example of this. Depending on what you are looking for in a pad and what pads you are coming out of, you may or not may not agreement with assessment of Speed Skin.

8217EEBE-A5DB-4457-BBED-92DDDB02B0C9.jpeg

Again, Speed Skin is better than any traditional material. It also only one of many performance components that combine to make up the P2. With some of the pads I feel might be faster, you could be sacrificing seal or their strapping is not as nice. There is no perfect product on the market and you need to understand what items are most beneficial to your game.  If you have only ever used Jenpro, you will probably feel like you are flying in Speed Skin and it will improve your slides. 

C776CE02-B13B-48F1-9F91-71726936FEFC.jpegBelieve it or not, the blocker is the other piece of gear that was most upgraded for the P2. It has a new cuff, reduced weight, and updated sidewall. The new cuff is very versatile. If you want a connected feel, you can use the Velcro to pull it snug. I prefer a more open cuff and have this wide open. It performs well as an open cuff and you have to respect the flexibility of this stock design. The reduced weight is also great and instantly noticeable when trying on the blocker.

180F3982-4B6C-4950-A999-A0EAEF28FAE1.jpeg

The sidewall and visible lacing is something I have covered on the Instagram account extensively. Many of the NHL pros converted to this option, even if they wear EF3 gear. The visible lacing is designed to attach the new index finger pad to the sidewall. The new pad sits at an angle and prevents ramp ups from catching your index finder. The index finger of the glove itself is also equipped with D30. If you have a concern with ramp ups or sidewall protection, I don’t think there is a more secure blocker on the market.

D5583588-7587-4ED0-9048-A80A263CA0C5.jpeg

There are a couple minor nitpicks on the blocker though, feel free to laugh at me after reading the first one. Whenever possible, I like leaving my blocker on to drink net water. I use the thin green Gatorade bottles on my net. The new finger pad insert makes it difficult to do this and I pop off my blocker when grabbing water. I get it, it’s sorta silly… but it ties into my next more functional point.

D58A0B0C-1189-4094-A2FE-31999A10A337.jpeg

The second issue is a bit more practical, but also may be somewhat limited to how I tape my stick. I like a small knob so I can hold the very top of the handle playing the puck. I am currently using the Butt Endz Flux. Aaron Dell and Dave Leggio both use the same knob. When I drop my stick, I have limited space to slide my fingers underneath the stick and grab the shaft due to the smaller knob. The benefit of the smaller knob is puck handling, but the tradeoff is recovery from a dropped stick. This is one of the reasons young goalies are often instructed to use a Holtbeast big knob.

28056780-EDE0-45D1-86C3-D18B57BF2817.jpeg

With my knob set up, the floating index finger pad makes picking up the dropped stick a bit cumbersome. These might be unique issues to me and some of my quirks, but its something I regularly noticed during my demo sessions. I love the protection of this sidewall, but it does have a couple minor tradeoffs for me. Fortunately, I don’t drop my stick too often!

C749C264-9C43-49C8-9F11-A04FCB9D8EE8.jpeg

Lastly, the trapper. This glove is the bestselling glove in hockey and that’s the 590 break. The demo unit has a game ready break in, D30 palm, single T, and leather wrist strap. The leather wrist strap is sick!

87E24045-D02C-41EE-8F06-89993D907A1B.jpeg

During my time with Optik, I came to realize that a nylon strap just never set my glove as secure and consistent as I need. The leather strap allows you to wear the glove much more snugly at the wrist and it stays consistently tight throughout a skate.

0E341603-C19F-4C2D-B0A6-E822B34CBA2F.jpeg

I am surprised this design is not more popular. I rarely see it on pro returns or custom order set ups. Also of note, the leather strap is also positioned more on the back of the hand and not so much on the wrist. This ensures that there is still great mobility and range of motion with the extreme security of a leather strap.

E49238FD-E8AA-4059-B739-38A4B503DF0C.jpeg

The game ready break on the CCM glove is fair and functional. I wore it a couple days after opening the box. The only additional break in I do is a stretcher after the game and then tie it shut the next day. The glove has a very firm and anti-stinger feel to it. That’s the benefit to CCM’s approach of a slightly stiffer closure. Your hand is more protected and stable, but it is not the most floppy or easiest to close game ready break available.

041EEE89-D13F-405C-B26B-1C3529AFA4ED.jpeg

In closing the CCM P2 gear is well executed and their most upgraded set of equipment in a long time... maybe since EF1? This will appeal to the hardcore Premier fans, people who left CCM because there were “lighter pastures”, or goalies wanting a stiffer style pad and amazing seal. As many people know, I work in manufacturing and have a soft spot for anything made in Canada or the USA. Unfortunately, companies that off-shored are most likely not bringing production back. There’s a variety of infrastructure and training issues around this and it’s not purely a cost saving maneuver. For anyone skeptical of offshore gear, I have some good news.

BBBA269B-1A1B-4DC2-981B-7A98386D4BEE.jpeg

CCM clearly has the quality control of their manufacturing process dialed in. Out of the box, there was not a stitch out of place or piece of loose material. Long term, I will be curious to monitor the durability, but I have no issues with the initial fit and finish. In fact, it’s probably strongest suite of this gear I’ve yet to mention.

15 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@coopaloop1234 did you read it? Longest review yet... clearly not as lazy as I once was!!! 

Oh I read it, and it's fantastic. Definitely appreciate the research done to explain the back history and how it ties together with this new pad.

I mean, there's no pictures so what's really the point right? Everyone knows a review is useless without eye candy. ;)

But it seems like the general consensus of this pad is the ol' tired and true premier pad, but rebuilt with modern parts. I played around with them in store a bit, feels like a premier pad, looks like a premier pad but there's something different about it.  

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Oh I read it, and it's fantastic. Definitely appreciate the research done to explain the back history and how it ties together with this new pad.

I mean, there's no pictures so what's really the point right? Everyone knows a review is useless without eye candy. ;)

But it seems like the general consensus of this pad is the ol' tired and true premier pad, but rebuilt with modern parts. I played around with them in store a bit, feels like a premier pad, looks like a premier pad but there's something different about it.  

Exactly, it will appeal to anybody who was previously wearing the line and started to wonder if there’s something better out there

It will also appeal to people that have other brands of gear that need something with a better seal 

3 hours ago, dreadlockgoalie said:

Was it you that during your initial skates, you were feeling a bit fatigued in the P2s?  If so, did you ever figure that out or did it just go away?

I’ve been expeiramenting with different strapping configurations. I’ve found that looser is better. I also think I got more adjusted to it over time. It’s also interesting that stock is loose fit and I went with tight. 

Im wearing my Brian’s now for league playoffs and then will be back to CCM this summer. I’d like to continue to use them and get them to a long terms review status 

2 hours ago, BauerHockey47 said:

@TheGoalNet, great review! I can't wait to order a set to replace my Reebok Premier III's. I wore RBKs in juniors and Reeboks in college, and I know this will be a vast improvement without sacrificing the parts that I enjoy most. 

Exactly.

I’m also curious if CCM will convert any new users to CCM. There’s a lot to like here 

I still own pics ?

15 hours ago, aircanuck said:

Boy, oh boy! That is a seriously dynamite review. I think as things progress, I could see myself in a set of those pads. I appreciate the detail you went into. Merci!

They’re honestly a great set. 

Also... the longest review to date. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I was curious about what custom options you have for your inner leg channel and calf strap, and also your knee strap? Because in the catalog for the custom options it does not show what it would look like with no buckles and a 2” webbing.

• 2 months later...
On 5/27/2018 at 2:07 PM, Generals31 said:

Hello, I was curious about what custom options you have for your inner leg channel and calf strap, and also your knee strap? Because in the catalog for the custom options it does not show what it would look like with no buckles and a 2” webbing.

this is stock strapping. 

The only changes:

- Tight fight instead of loose 

So I’ve used this stuff a lot more since my “Initial Impressions” was posted

Here’s some brief updates:

- Love this gear more and more with every skate. It’s just really well done. 

-  Anyone who thinks CCM is old fashion or doesn’t innovate anymore is missing out 

-  I messed around the blocker adjust ability a lot. I have it set so I’m more comfortable with the cuff now. I basically have it set as loose as it goes and the cuff is out of my way 

- the extra finger protection broke in a bit more since my initial reviews easier now to pick up a dropped stick or do the bottle without taking off the blocker 

- Keep in mind, I’m very quirky with my blocker too. I have a feeling 80% of goalies will love this. 

- I’ve started to figure out Speed Skin more. I still maintain it’s not the most effortless on bad ice for sliding, but it also may have more control than some of the other sliding techs out there. I feel like Speed Skin is faster than Jenpro, but it’s sorta like you get in what you put out. Big push push and you fly. Smaller push and it’s more controlled. 

Is it faster than the weave Jenpro too? How does it stack against whatever material Bauer uses? The one downside I found with my 1X pads is that the material is so good at sliding you have to really focus your pushes or else you wind up going farther and faster than you want on some plays.

11 hours ago, Moose75 said:

Is it faster than the weave Jenpro too? How does it stack against whatever material Bauer uses? The one downside I found with my 1X pads is that the material is so good at sliding you have to really focus your pushes or else you wind up going farther and faster than you want on some plays.

It’s so long since I used Bauer, haha I almost forgot 

Yes, it’s faster than traditional materials 

From memory, the Bauer might be the fastest in good ice, but the speed changed quit a bit once the ice conditions get choppy 

CCM is bit more controlled 

Brian’s seems the most consistent across ice conditions and sorta effortless. It might be a bit less controlled than CCM 

The reality is that they’re all better than traditional materials

@TheGoalNet great review!

Regarding the leather wrist strap.  I would suggest treating it with a leather conditioner.  The leather wrist strap is actually an old idea... all of John Brown's gloves from the 80's had it, as did some Cooper GM21's.  The leather wrist strap does not age well from the sweat it gets soaked in, and can become quite uncomfortable to wear snugly over time.  Make sure to wipe down the buckle portion as well so it has no chance to rust.  Treating the leather will make it comfortable for a much longer time.  That is, of course, providing you intend to keep and use this set for several years.

Archived