Bauer Glove Breaks

BadAngle41

3 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Will Bauer allow retail consumers to skin models? 

As in I liked the 2S blocker, and the glove break on the 2S is closer to my beloved 580. Would they allow me to order 2X pads and skin the 2S blocker and glove as 2X for me?

First off... we need to get you to a Dr ASAP. 1S = 600, Vapor = 590, and Reimer is the only person I can think of with a 580 clone Bauer...

Back to the question at hand? I don't know the exact answer to that. My gut says yes, because they are allowing custom graphics at retail now. So why would they stop someone from ordering the 2S graphic on a 2X pad?

With that said, I don't believe Bauer's spec customizer will be open like Brian's or as detailed as CCM's yet... so I wouldn't take anything as a lock yet. My insider Bauer knowledge is not as good as with some other brands, so I don't have much certainty either way.

@maxtm30 - Anything to add on new custom options being released with custom graphics?

15 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

First off... we need to get you to a Dr ASAP. 1S = 600, Vapor = 590, and Reimer is the only person I can think of with a 580 clone Bauer...

Ha. I said the 2S was closer to 580, as in closer than the 1X was. Just can’t do the 590 60 degree... the 600 75 degree is closer. Certainly not thinking they’d do a 580 clone for a retail customer. 

I guess it’s encouraging that at least from your knowledge it isn’t a hard no and maybe even a possibility. 🤔

@BadAngle41 I have that same thing on my 2S knee blocks (although I ordered them with Vapor blocks...)  Was kind of disappointed out of the box, but haven't really noticed them since then when I was combing over them with a critical eye.  

I'm not excusing it entirely, but I've seen enough puffy blocker skin and frayed straps (after a handful of use) on other Made in Canada gear that I kind of just take this in stride.  This seems like more of a design issue than factory finish, with how they've designed that sandwich to be laced to the pad.  

Note: after typing that, I'm not trying to suggest you're arguing an Overseas vs. Domestic quality issue.  Just trying to give a sense of how I think the big 4 (or whatever) all have their issues with finish.  Some may just be set to set, based on who's building each set, some are design things that trickles down to everything.

34 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

Isn't it the other way around?  600=baseball closure aka 60 degree,  590=75 degree and 580= roughly 90 degree? 

8 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

600 break = 75 degree

590 break = 60 degree

You're correct that 580 break = 90 degree.

NOPE... 580 is 90 degree... then they went way off to 60 degree on the 590... and reeled it back in w/ the 600 at 75 degrees.

Image result for hockey glove break angle

image.png.2cfb0876eee4054f270525037a580bd6.png

15 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

Ha. I said the 2S was closer to 580, as in closer than the 1X was. Just can’t do the 590 60 degree... the 600 75 degree is closer. Certainly not thinking they’d do a 580 clone for a retail customer. 

I guess it’s encouraging that at least from your knowledge it isn’t a hard no and maybe even a possibility. 🤔

You lost me again... 

obviously if you hate 590, that’s fair... but as a blanket statement, 580 to 590 should be easier than 580 to 600

6 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Never played baseball, so I have no idea.

But I was correcting the other user's mix ups between the 600 and 590 breaks.

That’s fine, I think calling something a baseball confuses most people 

580 = almost exclusively  use your fingers to close the glove 

590 / Vapor  = mostly fingers, but a lil thumb 

600 / Supreme = equal parts thumb and fingers. Flex point of the glove is directly across your palm 

This is still the best description of glove breaks I've seen, primarily because it actually shows the hand position in each of them. I have no idea how each of them compare to CCM glove break numbers though because I've never used a CCM glove. My Passau is definitely on the 60° end of the spectrum or even possibly a bit farther than shown, actually. My Brians S-Series (which used the original GNETik graphics though I have no idea how much, if any, part of the rest of the build design came from that line) was closer to somewhere between the 75° and the 90° where the thumb stays stationary and isn't really used for closing the glove.

IMG_1186.thumb.JPG.9845651b07bb4bbe5e6bf88b3149fc35.JPG

2 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

This is a good baseline... but what I find sorta funny is how different brands will feel for the same break. My buddy's new G4 has a 90 degree liner and it feels VERY different from my 580. Yeah it was largely fingers to palm closure... it felt more like a 75 degree. 

4 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

This is a good baseline... but what I find sorta funny is how different brands will feel for the same break. My buddy's new G4 has a 90 degree liner and it feels VERY different from my 580. Yeah it was largely fingers to palm closure... it felt more like a 75 degree. 

For sure, and everyones perception of what they're feeling will be different too. The new GNETik IV is the first retail glove I've felt that is even close to the closure of the Passau 60. Not as close to "baseball glove" as the Passau, but as close as I've felt. But like I said, different people will describe how a break feels in different ways. 

39 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

This is still the best description of glove breaks I've seen, primarily because it actually shows the hand position in each of them. I have no idea how each of them compare to CCM glove break numbers though because I've never used a CCM glove. My Passau is definitely on the 60° end of the spectrum or even possibly a bit farther than shown, actually. My Brians S-Series (which used the original GNETik graphics though I have no idea how much, if any, part of the rest of the build design came from that line) was closer to somewhere between the 75° and the 90° where the thumb stays stationary and isn't really used for closing the glove.

That was the illustration I was referring to.   

This is all bizarre to me.  Love the Warrior GT Pro glove, which is a 70 degree.  I hated the 600 when I tried it on in store... but felt the 590 was my favorite of the CCM line.  Which is bizarre because I did not like the Passau 60 degree.  Could it have more to do with feeling on the hand vs break angle?

I was a TPS loyalist prior to moving in the Smith line.  Bionic forever, followed by the Summit.  

2 hours ago, cwarnar said:

Could it have more to do with feeling on the hand vs break angle?

Yes. 

You have the break angle, back of hand adjustment (location of and type,) pocket, T, cuff/cheater, palm, fingers (curl vs flat “pancake”), list goes on...

For me a glove is the most personal preference driven piece of equipment. I could make do or figure out ways to make a C/A, leg pads or blocker work... but not a glove. It’s a go/no-go situation. Makes it tough when looking for a new set but being stuck on a 580. 

5 hours ago, cwarnar said:

This is all bizarre to me.  Love the Warrior GT Pro glove, which is a 70 degree.  I hated the 600 when I tried it on in store... but felt the 590 was my favorite of the CCM line.  Which is bizarre because I did not like the Passau 60 degree.  Could it have more to do with feeling on the hand vs break angle?

I was a TPS loyalist prior to moving in the Smith line.  Bionic forever, followed by the Summit.  

Absolutely, especially the fact that the Passau 60 has such completely different internals. The little "inner glove" rather than any sort of traditional loops and such for the thumb and pinkie, etc. It felt weird as hell at first but now I struggle with normal gloves. I was a catcher for years as a kid/teen so that Passau glove feels super natural to me. But I can totally see why others would have a hard time without spending the time to get used to it. It's NOT a quick transition, IMO, but a worthwhile one (other than the fact that I'm basically locked into a mfgr at this point...lol)

2 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

Yes. 

You have the break angle, back of hand adjustment (location of and type,) pocket, T, cuff/cheater, palm, fingers (curl vs flat “pancake”), list goes on...

For me a glove is the most personal preference driven piece of equipment. I could make do or figure out ways to make a C/A, leg pads or blocker work... but not a glove. It’s a go/no-go situation. Makes it tough when looking for a new set but being stuck on a 580. 

Completely agree. Now that most brands are using some kind of elastic strapping I could make almost any leg pad work. A blocker is a blocker. But man, gloves are a very personal thing. I try on every glove in the store and nothing feels right (that is, until the GNETik IV came out). 

On 1/29/2019 at 10:38 PM, TheGoalNet said:

Back to the question at hand? I don't know the exact answer to that. My gut says yes, because they are allowing custom graphics at retail now. So why would they stop someone from ordering the 2S graphic on a 2X pad?

With that said, I don't believe Bauer's spec customizer will be open like Brian's or as detailed as CCM's yet... so I wouldn't take anything as a lock yet. My insider Bauer knowledge is not as good as with some other brands, so I don't have much certainty either way.

@maxtm30 - Anything to add on new custom options being released with custom graphics?

The limit is pretty much that if you skin a 2X Pro glove in a 2S Pro, you will have an upcharge and it'll be branded with the 2X logo. So when myBauer full custom debuts, you better go all out to make it worth your while. Again, all the info we have from bauer about the custom program is vague and contradicts itself a lot, so take everything I said here with a grain of salt, especially since the original launch was supposed to be before 2019.

I’m guessing they had a hard time with the Shark teal color, which is the only color nor offered on a the graphic on the 2s Pro

On 1/30/2019 at 7:33 PM, BadAngle41 said:

Yes. 

That's a tough one to be stuck on too!  There aren't many other gloves that feel like a 580.   

On 2/2/2019 at 8:55 PM, TheGoalNet said:

@BadAngle41 - This would solve all your problems 

You're damn right it would... which is why I'm not banking on it being available as a retail option. Best "Pro" claim I could make would be if I got on as EBUG for ECHL. Not sure if knowing this is possible makes it better or worse for me... the quest continues...

Archived