23-24 Playoffs

Fullright

6 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

I swear, I feel like I’m watching a beer leaguer play goal for the Oilers. Not flexible, narrow butterfly, not technically sound with modern technique. Yet, he’s hanging in there, somehow. 

I mean, Picks has been around the block and does know what he's doing. I've got a lot of respect for him continuing to plug away at it and truly show he can hang this year when thrown to it after how Edmonton's season started.

I've been getting to see him play since his time in Seattle (with the Thunderbirds). While I want Vancouver to win, I also want Pickard to succeed.

• Like 2

Maybe I am just crabby or frustrated that I am still parked but it seems to me that aside from a few, most of the goaltending has been ordinary. Igor, Bob, Swayman, & Silas have been great. Pickard has shown a lot of perseverance. The rest have been ok. They probably have not cost their teams a series but they likewise have not carried or bailed out their team. Isnt that supposed to be the job during the playoffs? Seeing goals fart in off the head or shoulder or backside in the mechanical application of reverse VH or non reverse VH makes me want to throw a brick at the TV. The skaters are just waiting for the goalie to put himself in that position. 

Yes, that is the one downside of modern goaltending. However, I think modern goaltending is light years ahead of goaltending from any era. I watch the pros play today and they look like aliens with how well they move and they have an answer for every scenario. I contend any pro goalie today would dominate previous eras. Similarly previous era goalies would be eviscerated in today’s game. The standards are so much higher for goalies today. I think if you went back and watched full games from previous eras, you would see how much slower the game was and how the goalies were less impressive. Don’t watch goalie highlights from previous eras, those won’t show the lowlights. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, keeperton said:

I mean, Picks has been around the block and does know what he's doing. I've got a lot of respect for him continuing to plug away at it and truly show he can hang this year when thrown to it after how Edmonton's season started.

I've been getting to see him play since his time in Seattle (with the Thunderbirds). While I want Vancouver to win, I also want Pickard to succeed.

Last time I saw Pickard play was in an elimination game against Silvos. 

Fingers crossed a similar outcome happens on Saturday. 

WhatsAppImage2024-05-14at14_53_24.thumb.jpeg.2b97eefbb6ab1df41c61e5fa71235953.jpeg

• Like 1

That would be cool. Another good matchup would be Rangers vs Oilers. The Messier Series. Oilers coming back to the Cup for the first time since Shawn Horcoff played for the team and Dwayne Roloson was their goalie. Perhaps they might get their first win since Grant Fuhr was on the team and Mark Messier was their captain.

3 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

That would be cool. Another good matchup would be Rangers vs Oilers. The Messier Series. Oilers coming back to the Cup for the first time since Shawn Horcoff played for the team and Dwayne Roloson was their goalie. Perhaps they might get their first win since Grant Fuhr was on the team and Mark Messier was their captain.

Nah, coilers can pack their damn bags. 

I'm rooting for either Canadian team at this point. All the goalies have been impressive so far.

What do you think of the 2 contacts with Silovs in last night's game? Over sold? I think so.

Could someone who’s more experienced let me know if I’m analyzing this properly?

I didn’t watch it too closely but from first view the first goal that Shesterkin let in and the goal that got called back were similar shots, off speed shot that crossed from the goalie’s right to left that kind of catches him off balance (through traffic as well). It also looks like before the goal he’s way over in an overlap and takes him an extra beat to get over to his glove side.

Posted (edited)

I cannot comment. I do not understand the overlap theory. The logic of protecting the goal outside the posts escapes me but I am sure there's a reason for it.

I do think @WillyGrips13 is 1000% right that today's goalies are better than previous generations. No question - I've said it elsewhere here. However, many of them seem ordinary but the ones left are all great. I keep hoping that one of the Edmonton guys would just take the job over and make it his. It seems there's a level of competence they've all reached but only a handful exceed that. Perhaps it has always been this way. Whatever edge the position had over the skaters in recent years is no longer there. 

Edited by Fullright

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Fullright said:

I cannot comment. I do not understand the overlap theory. The logic of protecting the goal outside the posts escapes me but I am sure there's a reason for it.

Overlap is just using the same theory of a butterfly save for sharp angle shots. You're putting your center mass between the puck and the net and is removing almost all short side holes. 

It's main purpose is to be used to cover the short side before going into a RVH (or VH) as the RVH is best used for goal line shots that are in close or for net drives coming from the goal line. 

Edited by coopaloop1234
  • Like 1

On 5/17/2024 at 4:54 AM, keeperton said:

I play with his brother Chet fairly regularly (drafted as a goalie by Nashville), but he plays out now, and he's pretty good! Super nice guy, too. Calvin did a great "After Hours" HNIC interview late in the season and I agree with you...lots to respect about his game and how he battles, and how hard he works. Great attitude.

• Like 1

McDavid hasn’t been great in this game. Skating into coverage, turning pucks over, making bad passes. Kane keeps finding himself with the puck on his stick, but his attempts keep getting blocked. He seems to be waiting too long to release his shot.

Ya'll seen my boy Igor yesterday? ;) Florida was hands down better, but Shesterkin gave them a chance. Now only to see if the Rangers can keep(step) it up.

Also, I can't stop drooling at Bobroksky's perfect butterfly seal in his Hzrdus pads. Is that typical of Hzrdus, or does he have some crazy stiff specs? 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2024 at 7:58 AM, IpaddyTECH said:

Ya'll seen my boy Igor yesterday? ;) Florida was hands down better, but Shesterkin gave them a chance. Now only to see if the Rangers can keep(step) it up.

Also, I can't stop drooling at Bobroksky's perfect butterfly seal in his Hzrdus pads. Is that typical of Hzrdus, or does he have some crazy stiff specs? 

Bob is an absolute specimen.  It's not the pads.

• Like 1