23-24 Playoffs

Fullright

I’m wondering if he didn’t want to step out to intercept the puck as it caromed out from the corner because he didn’t want to miss it and have the series end with an empty net goal. I feel like the Leafs defense was equally as asleep on the play. 

• Like 1

Overall though the puck was just too close to the crease to not make a play on it. At the top of his crease he would have easily gotten to the puck way before.
Like, puck is in the neutral zone coming at you, top of the crease, you get the puck before anyone else. I know when I was being taught from an early age it was made clear to not let pucks cross so close to to crease. A 2 pad stack coming out would have been fire. 
It reminded me of the world juniors a few years back where Canada won with a similar play. D

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

It’s a shame because otherwise I thought he played well, which I was happy about. I don’t like to see any goalie made to look bad. 

I understand, but if you look at his previous games before they put in Woll, his game, his body language was different. Game 7, he made the saves by being in the way at the right time but his energy...he looked like he was nonchalant. The media is gonna tear him up.

Side notes: Nylander woke up fast and was an active danger. Domi was also very much a force in each presence. Matthews looked sick or injured. He clearly wasn't the same guy like in game 1.

Edited by RichMan
  • Like 2

I was pulling for the Leafs .. too bad it had to end like that. Where he may question himself whether or not he should've gone for it. 

I think he could've maybe gotten on it but Pastrnak was coming in so fast  .. it's not fair to say he should've done this or that.

But it is kind of a shoulda woulda coulda play in hindsight ☹ sorry Leafs nation. 

26 minutes ago, Scythe said:

I was pulling for the Leafs .. too bad it had to end like that. Where he may question himself whether or not he should've gone for it. 

I think he could've maybe gotten on it but Pastrnak was coming in so fast  .. it's not fair to say he should've done this or that.

But it is kind of a shoulda woulda coulda play in hindsight ☹ sorry Leafs nation. 

I get it, but at that level and under the given circumstances, you go all out, you take the bump if you have to. That's why the big money is there. Its gonna haunt him for sure.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, RichMan said:

Samsonov fell asleep at the wheel is what it is. He looked/behaved weird all game. He had plenty of time to play the puck or at least jump on it as it bounced back in front. 

He lost the series for the leafs.

Nothing on Marner and Reilly both missing their assignments in the 1-3-1 on that play? You're right on Samsonov being too passive on that playthough.

Samsonov played fine that game, so did the leafs. They could've won. 

Though I'm so glad they didn't. Lol. 

But I'm a certified hater 

Edited by coopaloop1234

Posted (edited)

Looked to me like a set play. Pasternak began winding up his MPH below center ice red line and pass/dump in caught Leafs' D flat footed. Samsanov was caught flat footed as well. Tough decision whether to retrieve the puck or stay in his net. What was up with Woll? He played great in G6.

I like Ulmark but can we stop this nonsense of rotating? Run with Swayman until he loses. Little surprised with some of the struggles in net on some of the teams. It almost seems that some who have a chance to make the job his own arent taking it.

Edited by Fullright

Posted (edited)

A set play for sure, I think Marner has a responsibility there, but it was Reilly for the most part imo. Samsonov played well that game, I don't think he was the issue there (but unfortunately he was the issue for at least 2 of the other games), that bounce was juuuust far enough that he would have to commit hard to get a stick on it, it really was the perfect placement to make him think and freeze him. Leafs have some really tough decisions to make soon. 

I would start Ullmark to give Swayman a bit of a rest, then go back to Sway if Ullmark loses, but both teams looking like paper tigers as the series went on. 

Edited by johncho
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, johncho said:

A set play for sure, I think Marner has a responsibility there, but it was Reilly for the most part imo. Samsonov played well that game, I don't think he was the issue there (but unfortunately he was the issue for at least 2 of the other games), that bounce was juuuust far enough that he would have to commit hard to get a stick on it, it really was the perfect placement to make him think and freeze him. Leafs have some really tough decisions to make soon. 

I would start Ullmark to give Swayman a bit of a rest, then go back to Sway if Ullmark loses, but both teams looking like paper tigers as the series went on. 

Dude - share that meme you dropped in the pickup chat - 😆

• Haha 1

For those blaming Samsonov for not coming out - including Kelly Hrudey, who I like - watch a replay from the crease POV. Oh wait, they don’t have one…? Kinda hard to say what heat Samsonov saw coming in, and how he calculated all the factors in real time. Moreover, the only reason there is so much discussion is because Pasta finished, literally engaging Clutch Mode in the last seconds of the series he was otherwise unremarkable in. I swear, if a puck is 4” across, there was maybe 6” between Samsonov and the post.

I’m no Leafs lover, nor am I a Samsonov apologist, but I’m willing to give the NHL goalie the benefit of the doubt on this one. 

• Like 3

Uh oh, I can sense the Stuart Skinner sucks folks itching to shout it out. He definitely had a rough second half of the game. However, according to the commentator, the Oilers didn’t take a shot on goal since Zach Hyman scored at 13:11 in the second period until roughly five minutes LEFT in the THIRD period. They completely stopped playing. Credit to Vancouver for coming back, though. They certainly know how to do that. Just ask the Predators.

Also, WTF happened with the Bruins? They were a total no show. 

27 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Uh oh, I can sense the Stuart Skinner sucks folks itching to shout it out. He definitely had a rough second half of the game. However, according to the commentator, the Oilers didn’t take a shot on goal since Zach Hyman scored at 13:11 in the second period until roughly five minutes LEFT in the THIRD period. They completely stopped playing. Credit to Vancouver for coming back, though. They certainly know how to do that. Just ask the Predators.

Also, WTF happened with the Bruins? They were a total no show. 

Mcdavid had zero shots that game. Talk about your most important player not showing up. Lolololol 

Bruins got smoked like we all expected them to be. Thst first game was an anomaly 

Skinner had one of those "ah f$@&" games. You just can't seem to time anything. We all have those. For a moment I thought Silovs was gonna get the reality check but his boys came through.

Boston got outplayed, outmanoeuvred, out-checked, outdone period. Swayman did fine, just good shots and odd bounces. He proved he's human. His attitude goes beyond his game, giving Ullmark a pat on the back "go get them tiger" is just golden. A true professional. Next game will be a murder fest I know it. Boston will come in with axes and shit and try to destroy everyone. Lets see if Florida can play as dirty.

Shesterkin is putting on a clinic, strong performance. Rangers might get it in 4 or 5 at most. 

7 hours ago, johncho said:

Oh so Keefe is finally held accountable.

I mean, that comment he made at the post-game presser for Game 7 was probably a sneak preview of him getting fired.

Guessing the GM told him if they don't make it out of the first round this year, he's out of a job

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

My favourite part of the playoffs is going on Reddit and pointlessly causing shit. 

They're always so sensitive on that site. 

If this board has taught me one thing, it's not drama until someone dies and comes back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I don’t think these referees know what they’re doing in the NHL. Even with replay, they seem to come to some odd conclusions. 
I’m rooting for Boston, yet I thought that should have been goalie interference on the McAvoy goal. Not for the stick being knocked out of Bob’s hand, but for the attacker’s stick pushing the pad and skate of Bob, which was clearly in the crease.

But what do I know?🤷‍♂️

• Like 1