NHL Teams Can Now Sell On-Ice Ads Outside Neutral Zone

SaveByRichter35

4 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Why don’t they just go ahead and sell adverts on socks, sleeves, goalie pads and blockers? They may as well go there...

They tested the waters with that a few years ago and there was a massive amount of negative reaction to it.

It's coming, but I'm sure it'll be the last thing to happen.

4 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

While I am not a fan of this, at all, this is being confined to the areas in the corners of the ice below the goal line.  Basically outside of the trapezoid.  As long as it doesn't get any worse than this it should be fine.  I rarely even notice the ones at center ice.

You know that it will get worse lol.

Real ads are one thing - but the tv imposed ads are where it's going to explode.

canucks.jpg

ESPN recently had their own ads on the boards instead of the real ads that were there:

CslKMUAWYAAwssT.jpg

It works both ways too - I have the 10 greatest Flyers games DVD set. They whitewashed out all the old ads on the boards and all. Looks like white rectangles - but it's refreshing to see plain white boards again.

The NHL uses their lame-o all star game annually to test new things. They had the corner ice ads for that game:

DlvqM0XU4AAYy0J.jpg

Next thing you know: Chroma Key strips on the sweaters so the sweaters can advertise on players whilst playing; change the ads every 10-30 seconds. Put chroma key strips on the helmets, too! Make the players have flat places on the gloves for logos! 

Every penalty gets announced by the ref and will be preceeded with “This penalty brought to you by (place name here)”. Then the linesmen will sing a commercial jingle after the player goes in the box.

7 hours ago, RichMan said:

I can live with the corner ads, but anything else in front of the goal will surely mess with puck tracking to a certain level.

They would increase scoring; maybe that is Boris Bettman’s ultimate two-pronged reasoning for the sale of ads on the ice.

Why doesn’t he make the puck white to increase scoring?

46 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

They would increase scoring; maybe that is Boris Bettman’s ultimate two-pronged reasoning for the sale of ads on the ice.

Why doesn’t he make the puck white to increase scoring?

Forwards wouldn't be able to find the puck. Their walnut-sized brains can only handle so much as it is now.

He's too busy paying people to run a smear campaign on the KHL. This way when the inevitable lockout number four hits, players will be afraid to sign there and come crawling back. 

2 hours ago, MTH said:

My hometown Flyers were branded the most mediocre team in sports. Thanks Bettman.

I love hockey but have a hard time liking the NHL anymore.

I have to agree. With their core guys I think they should have achieved so much more by now. Hey, maybe they can get Price since the Canadiens are having a fire sale. 

Strong agree. I've been watching more KHL, SHL, and NLA where ever I can find a stream. It's not necessarily better, but it's more interesting and a different game. I think NHL players have become so good across the board it's accidentally made the game like watching milquetoast.

3 minutes ago, Moose75 said:

I have to agree. With their core guys I think they should have achieved so much more by now. Hey, maybe they can get Price since the Canadiens are having a fire sale. 

Strong agree. I've been watching more KHL, SHL, and NLA where ever I can find a stream. It's not necessarily better, but it's more interesting and a different game. I think NHL players have become so good across the board it's accidentally made the game like watching milquetoast.

I've been catching quite a bit of the AIHL (Australia).

It's pretty entertaining to watch. It's professional beer league.

And who doesn't love a good Australian accent commenting hockey?

11 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I've been catching quite a bit of the AIHL (Australia).

It's pretty entertaining to watch. It's professional beer league.

And who doesn't love a good Australian accent commenting hockey?

Two of my buddies played there! One played for both Gold Coast and Melbourne. Then he went to the New Zealand league before he retired due to concussions. He lives there now.

"Aye nye! He toorkeh stick to the fyce! He'll hafta get cleaned up in the dunny!"

Archived