Suggestions For a New Stick?

ccsgoalie

So I've gotten tired of dragging my way to heavy wooden stick to practice every day. I've decided to spend my birthday money on a new stick. So far I'm open to all options, but I've looked the most into the Premier 2, 2s and CR1.

The Premier 2 seems like a good option, it seems well balanced and a safe option to go with. $200 is a lot to spend however, would it be worth it to go for the 2.9? 

The 2s is the lightest stick as far as i know, maybe wait and see if the 2x is much lighter? Again $300 will break the bank but hey, why not?

The CR1 seems to get mixed reviews, and i don't really know what to think about it. Anyone know how it compares to the rest of these sticks? Or maybe even go with a CR2?

Or maybe you guys have another option, just looking for a light stick that doesn't kill my wallet.

The Premier ll sounds awesome, and if it's within your budget, I'd say go for it. They look like great composites. Once you get used to using a composite stick (how it feels while playing + how the pucks react off of it), I think you'll love it.

I still use the original Premier sticks and I love mine. I have 3 and I'm still one my first stick. Been good for about 10 months now (using it once a week on average). 

I will say I'm currently using a Warrior CR1 and I absolutely love it. I find the control and precision when playing the puck (which I do a lot) to be exceptional and it is more than rigid enough for standing blade saves.

I previously used True 6.0 and Bauer 1S, both of which had tacky grips...

...my one dislike of the CR1 is how slick and slippery the grip is,  which they've done intentionally for "improved sliding" of the blocker hand.  I really disliked this the first time I used it and I was quite concerned about dropping it.

Life hack: I wrapped tacky electrical tape on the grip and now I consider the CR1 perfect and my favorite stick ever.

Just something to consider.

16 hours ago, ccsgoalie said:

So I've gotten tired of dragging my way to heavy wooden stick to practice every day. I've decided to spend my birthday money on a new stick. So far I'm open to all options, but I've looked the most into the Premier 2, 2s and CR1.

The Premier 2 seems like a good option, it seems well balanced and a safe option to go with. $200 is a lot to spend however, would it be worth it to go for the 2.9? 

The 2s is the lightest stick as far as i know, maybe wait and see if the 2x is much lighter? Again $300 will break the bank but hey, why not?

The CR1 seems to get mixed reviews, and i don't really know what to think about it. Anyone know how it compares to the rest of these sticks? Or maybe even go with a CR2?

Or maybe you guys have another option, just looking for a light stick that doesn't kill my wallet.

I can relate... while not using completely wood sticks... I had been using foam cores with wood shaft (Passau Heavy 21 to be exact.) My only prior experience w/ a full composite stick was a first gen and not a good one... vibrated terribly and broke pretty easily. That said, it was a number of years ago and I figured if I was going to give one a try... might as well go in the deep end. Picked up (2) 2S Pro for about $220 a piece on SidelineSwap. By no means cheap... but beats $300 each + shipping. 

I've been very happy with them, and only have about 12 skates in now. Haven't noticed signs of durability issues yet. Does take some getting used to though in terms of the rebounding off the paddle & blade. Crazy light though. Only real problem I have is what to do w/ the new batch of Passaus I haven't used. Sure I can use them, but not sure I want to go back to a club now that I've had a sword in my hands. 

again, no one talks about the Sherwood BPM150. If you want a light stick that also holds up to heavy shots, I’d recommend it, it’s the best stick I’ve used. Obviously the Bauer 2s is the lightest stick out there but don’t expect it to be the most durable. 

The CCM Premier 2 would be a good alternative if you want to save $30, with that said, the $230 Sherwood is completely worth the money. Only thing I’d say is if you don’t tape your paddle it would be pretty slippery there. 

16 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

I can relate... while not using completely wood sticks... I had been using foam cores with wood shaft (Passau Heavy 21 to be exact.) My only prior experience w/ a full composite stick was a first gen and not a good one... vibrated terribly and broke pretty easily. That said, it was a number of years ago and I figured if I was going to give one a try... might as well go in the deep end. Picked up (2) 2S Pro for about $220 a piece on SidelineSwap. By no means cheap... but beats $300 each + shipping. 

I've been very happy with them, and only have about 12 skates in now. Haven't noticed signs of durability issues yet. Does take some getting used to though in terms of the rebounding off the paddle & blade. Crazy light though. Only real problem I have is what to do w/ the new batch of Passaus I haven't used. Sure I can use them, but not sure I want to go back to a club now that I've had a sword in my hands. 

Keep them for warmup sticks.  This will help twofold.  The heavier foamcore/wood sticks will make your composite game stick feel even lighter.  It will also help protect the composite stick from all the repeated blows it would take during warmups, hopefully extending its lifespan.  Of course anything can happen in a game to break a stick as well, but, not having to be subjected to continuous shots during warmups should help.

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Keep them for warmup sticks.  This will help twofold.  The heavier foamcore/wood sticks will make your composite game stick feel even lighter.  It will also help protect the composite stick from all the repeated blows it would take during warmups, hopefully extending its lifespan.  Of course anything can happen in a game to break a stick as well, but, not having to be subjected to continuous shots during warmups should help.

Good point... and bless you for thinking I play on teams that do anything but pick corners and fire at my dome during warmups. If only they could shoot that well in games.

Archived