Jump to content

What’s the right pad for me?


Ollie

Recommended Posts

Hello,

I am playing at a very high highschool level and am on the ice 7 times a week. I currently have 35 +1.5 warrior g4 that are getting too small. I’m not sure what brand to get next as I was not too happy with these. In addition, I am not sure if I should get knee rolls or not knee rolls. I’m not a crazy big fan of the close rebounds, but the Vaughn v elites seem very nice. Idk I just I’m in between litterally every brand (Bauer, Vaughn, Brian’s, ccm).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What specifically do you not like about your Warriors?

What are your strapping needs? 

Do you like stiff or flexible pads overall and boots in particular?

Knee rolls don't do much other than theoretically affect rebound predictability. We don't land on the face of pads anymore. I think their relevance is primarily aesthetic, which I personally like the look of them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Ollie if u dont like the close rebounds youre gonna want to go to a stiffer pad. with the stiffer and flat face theyll give harder rebounds. a lot of pads are going away from knee rolls and theyre becoming flatter and going away as a design.

Two key things when buying a pad is how you like the puck to react off them, and how much flexibility you want your pads to have. A pad like the Bauer Vapors and Supremes will let out bigger rebounds, but youll need more flexibility to make them work

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you,

The warriors just broke down too fast, and started bending tortionally on the thigh rise. The strapping was pretty good as it was tight on the bottom and slightly looser at the top. I haven't had too much expirience in stiff or flexible boot in pads, but I think stiff overall is better (still have no clue what I like for the boot though). I also like bigger rebounds if that helps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ollie said:

Thank you,

The warriors just broke down too fast, and started bending tortionally on the thigh rise. The strapping was pretty good as it was tight on the bottom and slightly looser at the top. I haven't had too much expirience in stiff or flexible boot in pads, but I think stiff overall is better (still have no clue what I like for the boot though). I also like bigger rebounds if that helps.

If you like bigger rebounds, I would look at:

CCM Premier 2

Bauer 1X or 1S

Brian's Optik (or GNetik IV if you want go custom and get an extra hard face)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

If you like bigger rebounds, I would look at:

CCM Premier 2

Bauer 1X or 1S

Brian's Optik (or GNetik IV if you want go custom and get an extra hard face)

Maybe a bias because I have the P2s but its a good mix of a stiff to soft pad. It will definitely kick out your rebounds which I'm a big fan of. Haven't wore the Bauer's (2s or Vapors) but I believe is a much stiffer pad. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm a Warrior fan boy, and love my GT's.  Before that I used Smith forever.  Also have dabbled in Boddam and Passau.

Why not look at a smaller company like Passau or Kenesky?  Passau will build you a totally custom pad for likely the best price on the market:

http://www.passauhockey.com/en/products/pads

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmO0lyfnox_/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

The options are endless... And working with a guy like @GoalieTimmy33 will make you feel like a pro.  They also just released and updated pad platform.

I know Mike and Dave at Kenesky also have amazing custom service and they're gaining a lot of notoriety in the goalie world.  They have varying lines and options as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

I'm a Warrior fan boy, and love my GT's.  Before that I used Smith forever.  Also have dabbled in Boddam and Passau.

Why not look at a smaller company like Passau or Kenesky?  Passau will build you a totally custom pad for likely the best price on the market:

http://www.passauhockey.com/en/products/pads

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmO0lyfnox_/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

The options are endless... And working with a guy like @Tim_TRUEHockey will make you feel like a pro.  They also just released and updated pad platform.

I know Mike and Dave at Kenesky also have amazing custom service and they're gaining a lot of notoriety in the goalie world.  They have varying lines and options as well. 

Passau could be a good option.

@GoalieTimmy33 - Does Passau have some foam layups or materials to add for hotter rebounds?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you all for the feedback,

yes I would prefer stiffer then the warrior, only because it bends at the thigh rise too much, as they made it skinnier but sacrificed actual performance. I would not mind it be not as stiff (even though this is not my preference) as long as it keeps it’s form and has hard rebounds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Ollie said:

Thank you all for the feedback,

yes I would prefer stiffer then the warrior, only because it bends at the thigh rise too much, as they made it skinnier but sacrificed actual performance. I would not mind it be not as stiff (even though this is not my preference) as long as it keeps it’s form and has hard rebounds.

The GT series is actually stiffer in the thigh rise than the G3/4's.  I'd recommend 2S if you want stiff and hard rebounds.  I agree that the thinner pads are prone to warping and premature breakdown.  This has been my experience and anyone I know playing 4+ times per week has seen this.  Bauer still makes a decently robust pad, otherwise I would look at the P2's.  Of course if you can go custom, you'll have a lot more options.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jayluv54 said:

The GT series is actually stiffer in the thigh rise than the G3/4's.  I'd recommend 2S if you want stiff and hard rebounds.  I agree that the thinner pads are prone to warping and premature breakdown.  This has been my experience and anyone I know playing 4+ times per week has seen this.  Bauer still makes a decently robust pad, otherwise I would look at the P2's.  Of course if you can go custom, you'll have a lot more options.

GT thigh rise is only stiffer than G3. G4 is stiffer. The thinner pad has a trade off so to speak. Pad will break down a little quicker but have better performance as they wont be as "chunky" or clunky/punching at each other.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/16/2018 at 11:16 PM, Ollie said:

Hello,

I am playing at a very high highschool level and am on the ice 7 times a week. I currently have 35 +1.5 warrior g4 that are getting too small. I’m not sure what brand to get next as I was not too happy with these. In addition, I am not sure if I should get knee rolls or not knee rolls. I’m not a crazy big fan of the close rebounds, but the Vaughn v elites seem very nice. Idk I just I’m in between litterally every brand (Bauer, Vaughn, Brian’s, ccm).

Based on all the information you've provided, without asking any questions and respectfully ignoring everything after your original post including everyone else's comments my answer is:

CCM Premier 2, Bauer Supreme 2S or wait for the new Vaughn Ventus

Good luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/16/2018 at 10:16 PM, Ollie said:

Hello,

I am playing at a very high highschool level and am on the ice 7 times a week. I currently have 35 +1.5 warrior g4 that are getting too small. I’m not sure what brand to get next as I was not too happy with these. In addition, I am not sure if I should get knee rolls or not knee rolls. I’m not a crazy big fan of the close rebounds, but the Vaughn v elites seem very nice. Idk I just I’m in between litterally every brand (Bauer, Vaughn, Brian’s, ccm).

Ollie - I empathize with your struggle.  When we were starting Passau we said "why don't we make the gear for each client versus hoping we can pre-make stuff that the client likes."  That's a big part of our process, to get to know you and your preferences and then build the gear accordingly.  From flex, to strapping to graphics, there's very little we cannot do.  If you have any questions and/or would like to learn more, please reach out to me directly - tim.mccarthy@Passauhockey.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Max27 said:

GT thigh rise is only stiffer than G3. G4 is stiffer. The thinner pad has a trade off so to speak. Pad will break down a little quicker but have better performance as they wont be as "chunky" or clunky/punching at each other.

I don't really care what the marketing nonsense or You Tubers who use it once say, having owned the pro version of each model with the G4's being in my current rotation, I'd have to disagree there.  The GT is a stiffer pad at the boot and above the knee, regardless of torsional flex.  The GT thigh rise was designed to have a slight precurve, but mostly stay straight, the G3's and G4's are designed to curve at the top and it is not difficult to do.  Naturally, there will be more flex and bend there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jayluv54 said:

I don't really care what the marketing nonsense or You Tubers who use it once say, having owned the pro version of each model with the G4's being in my current rotation, I'd have to disagree there.  The GT is a stiffer pad at the boot and above the knee, regardless of torsional flex.  The GT thigh rise was designed to have a slight precurve, but mostly stay straight, the G3's and G4's are designed to curve at the top and it is not difficult to do.  Naturally, there will be more flex and bend there.

So you're saying is that there is little to no breakdown in the boot break of the GTs? A 35"+1 will remain so for almost the life of the pads?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jayluv54 said:

I don't really care what the marketing nonsense or You Tubers who use it once say, having owned the pro version of each model with the G4's being in my current rotation, I'd have to disagree there.  The GT is a stiffer pad at the boot and above the knee, regardless of torsional flex.  The GT thigh rise was designed to have a slight precurve, but mostly stay straight, the G3's and G4's are designed to curve at the top and it is not difficult to do.  Naturally, there will be more flex and bend there.

Kirk Allen said the g4 is stiffer lmao 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you all for the feedback,

the customs from Passau seem interesting, and the list of hard faced odd seem nice as well. It gets a little more complicated thought when you start speaking glove and blocker for a matching set. I like the 590 style break which the premiers have and Vaughn gloves from my experience are somewhat similar. Bauer gloves on the other hand are very stiff and never truly break in. Anything more on the Passaic gloves?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Ollie said:

Thank you all for the feedback,

the customs from Passau seem interesting, and the list of hard faced odd seem nice as well. It gets a little more complicated thought when you start speaking glove and blocker for a matching set. I like the 590 style break which the premiers have and Vaughn gloves from my experience are somewhat similar. Bauer gloves on the other hand are very stiff and never truly break in. Anything more on the Passaic gloves?

590 is the industry standard and everyone makes something of thier version.

Passau had something similar, Vaughn does with the new VE8, Bauer 1X (and I believe 2X Pro is an improved glove), and Brian's closest would GNetik IV (but I'd also recommend trying on Optik. Both breaks can feel similar).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, RichMan said:

So you're saying is that there is little to no breakdown in the boot break of the GTs? A 35"+1 will remain so for almost the life of the pads?

No, I said it was stiffer.  I don't know the breakdown cycle and pad life is something different to everyone.  Warrior also uses a stiff boot riser which I assume helps to keep the structural rigidity of the boot while maintaining size.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 29 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
  • Member Statistics

    2,008
    Total Members
    2,646
    Most Online
    b709
    Newest Member
    b709
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...