Glove Comparison Database

TheGoalNet

As we know, most manufacturers describe and build their glove breaks differently... But there are generally some similarities.

Each glove will have it's own fit and should be tried on before purchase, but I'd like to try and make a chart to compare models so people can easily identify what is the closest glove from a different company to the glove they are wearing...

For now, let's compile a list and then actually develop a chart. Please chime in with your knowledge below!!!

Fingers Only Closure: CCM 580 Break - 

Break at Bottom Finger / Top of Palm Knuckles - CCM 590 Break - Bauer 1X Vapor Glove - Warrior GT

Fingers & Thumb Closure: CCM 600 Break - Vaughn 5500 Break - Factory Mad - Bauer 1S Glove - Warrior Ritual 

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed when I see a lot of Vaughn setups these days it'll be pads, blocker, and then a glove of a different brand (usually CCMeflex ) 
Any insight on why people seem to be going for a CCM 600 or (maybe they're a 590) instead of say the Vaughn 5500 or new Ventus?

On 5/3/2017 at 8:17 AM, A10airknight said:

Not sure. Never used a 5500. It's just described as a 35 degree break.

So Brian's is a bit different than anyone else... 

but basically...

GNetik is most simialr too 590ish 

SZ is most similar to 600ish

8 hours ago, Elliott29 said:

I've noticed when I see a lot of Vaughn setups these days it'll be pads, blocker, and then a glove of a different brand (usually CCMeflex ) 
Any insight on why people seem to be going for a CCM 600 or (maybe they're a 590) instead of say the Vaughn 5500 or new Ventus?

There's nothing wrong with a Vaughn, but it's probably a feel thing. 

Brians & CCM glove generally feel the best in the store

No particular reason really just ended up buying a new set of Genetiks and figured I'd give a Brian's glove a shot but will most likely end up going back to a Vaughn. Brian's gloves just don't sit well on my hand for some reason. A Vaughn rep popped by the shop I work at the other week and we had a long talk about gloves, long story short probably looking at getting a velocity XF glove, he said they're really popular with guys with smaller hands where something like a 9500 might not feel so natural on a smaller hand. Lots to consider...too much in fact. 

On 6/1/2017 at 0:00 PM, Elliott29 said:

totally off topic but we were also talking about the recent acquisition of GRAF and there's talks of a new two piece goal skate.  

I actually heard a RUMOR (beware) that Vaughn actually had their own two piece skate made before Bauer but being new to the skate market, they were reluctant to dive in head first 

On 6/1/2017 at 11:53 AM, Elliott29 said:

No particular reason really just ended up buying a new set of Genetiks and figured I'd give a Brian's glove a shot but will most likely end up going back to a Vaughn. Brian's gloves just don't sit well on my hand for some reason. A Vaughn rep popped by the shop I work at the other week and we had a long talk about gloves, long story short probably looking at getting a velocity XF glove, he said they're really popular with guys with smaller hands where something like a 9500 might not feel so natural on a smaller hand. Lots to consider...too much in fact. 

Makes sense, I have smaller hands. I generally don't like that 5500 style break and love the Brian's 

On 5/24/2017 at 10:57 AM, Elliott29 said:

The main reason I went from a 5500 to an Eflex 3 600 break glove was the difference in protection and size between the two. Vaughn's equipment is well made, but has always been on the slimmer side. I didn't feel confident enough with the protection the 5500 had to offer, even with a pro palm. Even with a stiffened T and not pressing down on the T like a lot of people do, it would cave in on me on a regular basis when making a glove save. The Eflex 3 glove is the complete opposite - beefy, T closes well, and is much bigger in size. I think Vaughn's pads and blocker provide adequate protection and their pads are nice because they are so bendable, but most people go with a different glove because their gloves do not provide enough protection and break down very quickly.

I think this is a very useful topic and when I was looking for a glove, it was hard to understand the terminology. I would love to add my two cents but I am not sure I understand the terms. If we have some definitions, it would help to add accurate remarks. I don't want to lead some one in the wrong direction or misinform some one.

20 hours ago, Fullright said:

I think this is a very useful topic and when I was looking for a glove, it was hard to understand the terminology. I would love to add my two cents but I am not sure I understand the terms. If we have some definitions, it would help to add accurate remarks. I don't want to lead some one in the wrong direction or misinform some one.

When talking about gloves more often than not people will use a CCM break as the comparison (580, 590, 600). So they may say something like "the 1S is more of a 590 break style" meaning more of a fingers to base of the thumb type of closure. There's some good videos on youtube talking about it. 

1 hour ago, Elliott29 said:

When talking about gloves more often than not people will use a CCM break as the comparison (580, 590, 600). So they may say something like "the 1S is more of a 590 break style" meaning more of a fingers to base of the thumb type of closure. There's some good videos on youtube talking about it. 

I have a GNetik, 580, and 9500 Vaughn here now. I will try make some quick video clips 

I use a 590 and I absolutely love it to death, it's easily the best break that I've ever used, it's like a vacuum. Mark my words every puck shot at my glove is caught, haven't got scored on off of a straight on glove shot since I changed from Bauer 4 years ago. I've tried the 600 and I couldn't catch a puck if my life depended on it. 590 in my opinion is the best break ever. IMO

• Like 1

17 hours ago, EwanSoutar33 said:

I use a 590 and I absolutely love it to death, it's easily the best break that I've ever used, it's like a vacuum. Mark my words every puck shot at my glove is caught, haven't got scored on off of a straight on glove shot since I changed from Bauer 4 years ago. I've tried the 600 and I couldn't catch a puck if my life depended on it. 590 in my opinion is the best break ever. IMO

I used to be of that mind set. I had both 580 and 590 and preferred either of those to the 600 / 5500 style. I have recently worn a Factory Mad and Vaughn 9500, which are fingers to thumb break. 

I find the gloves uncomfortable, but I noticed I naturally catch more pucks with them. Instead of hitting the thumb, the puck goes right into the pocket. I believe that angle sets better with my stance. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

On 02/05/2017 at 9:54 AM, TheGoalNet said:

As we know, most manufacturers describe and build their glove breaks differently... But there are generally some similarities.

Each glove will have it's own fit and should be tried on before purchase, but I'd like to try and make a chart to compare models so people can easily identify what is the closest glove from a different company to the glove they are wearing...

For now, let's compile a list and then actually develop a chart. Please chime in with your knowledge below!!!

Fingers Only Closure: CCM 580 Break - 

Break at Knuckles - CCM 590 Break - Bauer 1X Vapor Glove - Warrior GT

Fingers & Thumb Closure: CCM 600 Break - Vaughn 5500 Break - Factory Mad - Bauer 1S Glove - Warrior Ritual 

On 06/06/2017 at 10:31 AM, TheGoalNet said:

IMG_6812.JPG

IMG_6813.JPG

IMG_6814.MOV

IMG_6815.MOV

@Hills - Any trick to embed the videos?

isnt this the opposite of the original post?  

The 590 is fingers to thumb (top pic) and the 580 would be more like the bottom pic, or full palm closure...

warrior-goalie-accessories-ritual-g2-glove-liner-sr-inset4.thumb.jpg.daee5d5d69c1a8632d2bfdc035ebff6e.jpg

MEYNuER.jpg

Edited by Doobiesnax

The baseball style closure (the 600 in the above photos) was something that took some getting used to. However, I think I can catch the puck better with it. Probably because of all those years of being a catcher playing baseball.

The other style break (590) I had a hard time closing because my hands aren't very big. Maybe intermediate internals would have helped me. However I found it MUCH better for stickhandling. I'm having a hard time getting a good grip with the 600. 

Even though I am a runt height-wise (5'5"), I have relatively wide and long hands. The Paussau 60 degree fits just fine and has thumb and fingers closure. Two Velcro straps across the top of the hand internal of the glove itself and a wide Velcro at the base of the forearm. I use the two across the hand tight and just loosely thread into the closing clip the wide strap. No finger or thumb loops which took a skate or two to become acclimated. Very light, airs out well even during the skate, very durable and broke in about a skate or two. Mine has the double T with skate laces for webbing with a base (read as none) palm. Stingers, I guess, I am just used to - we never had different palms when I played for real. One thing I think gets overlooked in these conversations is the wrist pad/protector. The 60 has a monster pad that is wide and thick; no dents to the bottom of my forearm.  A great glove if you are looking for a baseball mitt type of glove.