Kova Suspenders

While I won't get a chance to wear them on the ice for a few days... my new Kova suspenders arrived today from Finland. @KovaGoalie was fantastic about helping when we ran into what seemed like a lost package... but all turned out well. No custom functional specs on these... just tan w/ embroidery. Kova's logo is laser engraved.

1652345957_Kova01.thumb.jpg.4fce59e6def42e147e4ab6841442b3ca.jpg

The main reason I picked these up... and was willing to pay what would be considered a premium for a set of suspenders... is Topi's design. You see, I'm not what most would consider tall at 5'10"... so after using a set of suspenders for years the elastic gets stretched out and you end up moving the sliders etc. The sliders on my Bauer suspenders were actually sitting on my clavicle... not ideal to have a hard piece of plastic there in the event I actually make a save there.

1459789168_WhyKova01.thumb.jpg.911a124038ec0d217c0c551f99d97d04.jpg  197055626_WhyKova02.thumb.jpg.eed32659d3646787f90d01d6fa93a44d.jpg

Topi's sliders reside on the back of the unit which completely removed the opportunity for them to be in this place again. While I can't say I've had an issue w/ plastic/rubber suspenders ripping at the button... the doubled up material makes for a strong and secure attachment. Another interesting piece is the velcro on the back. Given its location I doubt it's purpose was intended to be quick on/off like say Monster's shock cord suspenders... but it does allow for fine tuning the fit w/o having to adjust the sliders. More to come...

1638783734_Kova02.thumb.jpg.1a0497cff5bbb77806a0fd57b89ab36e.jpg

1090917776_Kova03.thumb.jpg.9c409840d533b2a41118884cf041cd8c.jpg  1686704958_Kova04.thumb.jpg.e45f1fcccfb0412d6eb74000a77dc3ba.jpg

16 minutes ago, estogoalie said:

How much did they set you back?

$75 USD

4 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

Company out of Calgary called 5 hole goal is now 1 offing the suspenders as well. The guy's entire business is copycat

You’re saying the guy at 5 hole goal in Calgary is copying Kova’s design? 

4 hours ago, cwarnar said:

Company out of Calgary called 5 hole goal is now 1 offing the suspenders as well. The guy's entire business is copycat

I dunno, they don't look exactly like KOVA's. But then to me suspenders kinda all look the same, and I don't think I'd ever spend more than $20 on a pair. But to each their own.

2 hours ago, estogoalie said:

I dunno, they don't look exactly like KOVA's. But then to me suspenders kinda all look the same, and I don't think I'd ever spend more than $20 on a pair. But to each their own.

I agree with you... similar... sorta... but not nearly enough to say copy. Sliders in a different location... no velcro... attachments are similar... but like you said... they’re suspenders. Some aspects of them have to be similar. 

More than $20 for suspenders is a bit much... let alone almost 4x that... but it’s a well made product and had some features that made me say why not? Anxious to get them on the ice... but the best review would be along the lines of... “My pants stayed up and they’re good looking.”

Built quality looks high. The suspenders being able to move a bit like the old Easton ones is a nice design too.

The elastic seems a bit lighter grade compared the Brown ones I am coming from. I am not sure if that's real or not, that something to watch long term with the durability of these.

The suspender straps work perfectly, buy I would suggest that Kova makes them like 2-3" for future orders.

65CA674F-FE05-43CC-A382-11A89421ED8A.jpeg

A69C1527-4884-4A75-A0DF-49DEC5B6BABA.jpeg

47408FCD-0A7E-483E-A78F-C93D7A0A204A.jpeg

987FBCB6-201C-4F5B-ACB8-2052011852E7.jpeg

F9B0F56C-D5AF-440F-B3B0-1FAAAD2F249F.jpeg

5 hours ago, cwarnar said:

What's the initial feedback on the suspender Straps

2 hours ago, Telfo said:

that Mrazek strap design is super interesting.  I think I am going to order a pair of these.  I have mrazek straps at the top of my floaters but not the bottom, may try to use that as a bottom strap.

Unreal. The suspender stays in place better because it's anchored to the strap. With a Mrazek strap on the C&A, the suspender can move under the strap and still has some play.

You can basically slide your strap around the floater to dial in the fit.

On 2/11/2019 at 5:25 PM, TheGoalNet said:

Unreal. The suspender stays in place better because it's anchored to the strap. With a Mrazek strap on the C&A, the suspender can move under the strap and still has some play.

You can basically slide your strap around the floater to dial in the fit.

Nice, are the Mrazek straps a standard add-on or was this something they did custom for you? And do you recall added cost for the straps?

On 2/20/2019 at 1:49 PM, dstew29 said:

@TheGoalNet so Mrazek Straps should be ordered 2-3" longer than your order right? Can you say what the longer adjusted length would be? I'm thinking about ordering a pair so would be helpful to know. My Passau Gen2 floaters look about similar width to your Shield II. Thanks

Yes, I already told Kova this too. The scratchy part of the velco is exposed on mine and gets stuck to the jersey

On 2/22/2019 at 10:17 AM, TheGoalNet said:

@BadAngle41 How are you finding yours?

To update my basic pair... they're great!!

• Sliders are no longer resting on my collar bone
  • They fit very well
  • Easy to adjust and have them stay in place

Like @TheGoalNet mentioned in his initial impressions, the elastic feels like a lighter grade than sets I've used before... but they're doing well and I do not feel as if performance is compromised. I too will be keeping an eye on it from a longer term durability standpoint though.

9 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Like @TheGoalNet mentioned in his initial impressions, the elastic feels like a lighter grade than sets I've used before... but they're doing well and I do not feel as if performance is compromised. I too will be keeping an eye on it from a longer term durability standpoint though.

@BadAngle41 & @TheGoalNet did you guys end up ordering the single or double elastic?

10 minutes ago, dstew29 said:

@BadAngle41 & @TheGoalNet did you guys end up ordering the single or double elastic?

Mine are single elastic. Only place it is doubled up is on the back from the Y split to the sliders. Double would certainly add to the durability w/ the tress if the stretch spread out over 2 pieces... just not sure if its necessary. I didn't even ask to see if double was an option. 

image.thumb.png.4104a7e87013aae593795e8d036833d2.png

• 1 year later...
On 2/26/2019 at 10:01 AM, BadAngle41 said:

Mine are single elastic. Only place it is doubled up is on the back from the Y split to the sliders. Double would certainly add to the durability w/ the tress if the stretch spread out over 2 pieces... just not sure if its necessary. I didn't even ask to see if double was an option. 

image.thumb.png.4104a7e87013aae593795e8d036833d2.png

How have they been holding up for you? Been using cheap suspenders and hate how they feel and seem to lose their elasticity pretty quick. 

Archived