Lehner-NYI

Max27

Something cool I wanted to share.

As you all know, Robin Lehner dealt with depression, bipolar, ADHD, PTSD, Alcoholism, and Substance Abuse. After being let go by Buffalo, he has been one of the best comeback stories in sports. After finishing the season with a 25-13-5 record, a 2.13 GAA, and a .930 Save%, He is a finalist for the Vezina, as well as the Masterson, and partnered with Thomas Greiss, also who had a fantastic turnaround, took home the Jennings Trophy, after they gave up only 196 Goals the entire season, Which is a combined 2.39 GAA for the team. They won by a significant amount, as the closest team to them, the Stars, had let up 202, a combined 2.51 GAA for the team. Dallas´ Bishop, as well as Tampas Vasilevskiy are the other 2 Vezina finalists, and the Blue Jackets Nick Foligno, and the Sharks Joe Thornton are the other 2 Masterton Finalists. 

18 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

It really is a great story. I’m very happy for him and his family. 

Yeah, me too. Very happy for him and happy for his recovery

17 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

He should win the masterton no doubt. If either of them win over Lehner thats a huge mistake

I dont see a situation where he doesnt win the Masterson. Lehners story is way more heavy and he had to battle through way  more

On 4/21/2019 at 1:03 PM, Goalieinneed said:

he is one of the biggest reasons i chose the islanders over the pens in my bracket

me too, with him in goal the sky is the limit with how far they can go

On 4/21/2019 at 2:24 PM, southpawtendy48 said:

me too, I had the islanders winning before then 

I had the Isles in 7. Happy I was wrong:D

On 4/20/2019 at 5:53 PM, southpawtendy48 said:

He should win the masterton no doubt. If either of them win over Lehner thats a huge mistake

On 4/21/2019 at 11:52 AM, Max27 said:

I dont see a situation where he doesnt win the Masterson. Lehners story is way more heavy and he had to battle through way  more

I think the Masterson might be the one trophy where it's kind of dumb to argue about who deserves it most— because you invariably end up arguing over whose personal tragedy/hardship was worse. "Fighting cancer is worse than having your brother die in an auto accident!" "Are you kidding me, losing a newborn is much worse than finding out your wife has Alzheimers." See how subjective (and gross) that can be?

Yes, in this particular case, it's easy to single out Joe Thornton as an outlier... he was essentially nominated for being the "old guy without a Cup who still brings it every day, and inspires his teammates". That's not a particularly comparable hardship to being diagnosed with mental health issues or watching 2 of your 3 children suffer serious health scares. 

@Max27 I know you are a big fan and admirer of Lehner's (and that's great, really), but you (or anyone, for that matter) have no idea if Lehner's diagnoses/recovery took more battling than Foligno watching two of his young children skirt death and deal with serious health scares. That is some seriously, seriously tough stuff to deal with. When it comes to mental health, deaths, children, illnesses... it's so subjective (and pointless) to argue about what's "heavier". Not to mention kind of macabre.

I guarantee you that pretty much nobody nominated for the Masterson has ever been upset over not winning it. No matter who wins, the other two guys will earnestly applaud someone who persevered and overcame their own hardship. And I'm sure that the two 'losers' are far, far happier with the personal victory of having overcome their battles — they won't be pouting if they're not recognized for it with a trophy. Neither should anyone else.

3 hours ago, stackem30 said:

I think the Masterson might be the one trophy where it's kind of dumb to argue about who deserves it most— because you invariably end up arguing over whose personal tragedy/hardship was worse. "Fighting cancer is worse than having your brother die in an auto accident!" "Are you kidding me, losing a newborn is much worse than finding out your wife has Alzheimers." See how subjective (and gross) that can be?

Yes, in this particular case, it's easy to single out Joe Thornton as an outlier... he was essentially nominated for being the "old guy without a Cup who still brings it every day, and inspires his teammates". That's not a particularly comparable hardship to being diagnosed with mental health issues or watching 2 of your 3 children suffer serious health scares. 

@Max27 I know you are a big fan and admirer of Lehner's (and that's great, really), but you (or anyone, for that matter) have no idea if Lehner's diagnoses/recovery took more battling than Foligno watching two of his young children skirt death and deal with serious health scares. That is some seriously, seriously tough stuff to deal with. When it comes to mental health, deaths, children, illnesses... it's so subjective (and pointless) to argue about what's "heavier". Not to mention kind of macabre.

I guarantee you that pretty much nobody nominated for the Masterson has ever been upset over not winning it. No matter who wins, the other two guys will earnestly applaud someone who persevered and overcame their own hardship. And I'm sure that the two 'losers' are far, far happier with the personal victory of having overcome their battles — they won't be pouting if they're not recognized for it with a trophy. Neither should anyone else.

I didn’t mean to make it sound like what he went through was worse, they’re all nominated for good reasons and should be proud of what they overcome, admittedly, I didn’t know much of what Foligno went through, and I’m not downplaying it, I think people notice Lehner more because of how he bounced back vs last season. 

20 hours ago, stackem30 said:

What im saying is I think that what Lehner battled through was a more adverse story than what Foligno had. Lehner had more of a "feel good" story where he comes off fresh telling the world his issues, and ends up top 5 in GAA, and Save%. Lehner dealt with his personal struggles since he entered the NHL, while what Foligno went through was a quicker timelapse. And Lehners comeback was much more noteable as his stats took a ridicuolous increase in every category of any previous year. Im not diminishing what Foligno went through by any means.What both went through was awful and im happy all is well with the Foligno family and the Lehner family. I wouldnt be upset if Foligno won it, I just dont see a situation where he wins it. If it was interpreted that way/came off as me diminishing Folignos struggles, I apologize. 

23 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

You don't think they would?

I think they will and hell want to stay because of how his career was rebirthed here but  I cant help but of Tavares now every time a good player for the Isles heads into free agency 😂 In a perfect world him, Jordan Eberle, Anders Lee, and Brock Nelson are all able to stay with reasonable terms and the Islanders can make 

2 hours ago, Max27 said:

What im saying is I think that what Lehner battled through was a more adverse story than what Foligno had. Lehner had more of a "feel good" story where he comes off fresh telling the world his issues, and ends up top 5 in GAA, and Save%. Lehner dealt with his personal struggles since he entered the NHL, while what Foligno went through was a quicker timelapse. And Lehners comeback was much more noteable as his stats took a ridicuolous increase in every category of any previous year. Im not diminishing what Foligno went through by any means.What both went through was awful and im happy all is well with the Foligno family and the Lehner family. I wouldnt be upset if Foligno won it, I just dont see a situation where he wins it. If it was interpreted that way/came off as me diminishing Folignos struggles, I apologize. 

I think they will and hell want to stay because of how his career was rebirthed here but  I cant help but of Tavares now every time a good player for the Isles heads into free agency 😂 In a perfect world him, Jordan Eberle, Anders Lee, and Brock Nelson are all able to stay with reasonable terms and the Islanders can make 

No need to apologize, Max — I wasn't offended by what you wrote. I do still think some of your logic is a stretch.

• "A more adverse story" doesn't make sense. Do you mean he battled through more adversity? That'd the same level of subjectivity I mentioned in my examples above. 
  • You also put a lot of emphasis on Lehner's stats, and while they do supplement the narrative that he rebounded from his struggles tremendously, I can almost guarantee that his GAA and SV% won't be in the forefront of voter's minds when they vote. They're going to look at the bigger picture (which still bodes well for Lehner).
  • Also, who says that the duration of their struggles is a factor? Say Clink Malarchuck gets his throat cut in 2019, returns from the injury, plays well, and gets nominated for the Masterdon. And there's another nominee who battled a chronic illness. Are you going to say the chronic illness wins, because what Malarchuk went through was a quicker time lapse? I just think that leads you to the same fuzzy logic.

Not trying to chastise or correct, or even steer the conversation. I just feel it's much better to say, "I think Lehner's a great candidate for the Masterson — I can't imagine a better story!", and not, "It's a mistake if they don't give it to him" or "His story was heavier, he had to battle through more." 

Having said all this, I do think Lehner will probably win the Masterdon. It would be incredibly well-deserved, too. I think the reason he's the strong favorite has less to do with what he went through (or how it compares to others), and more to do with the way the story unfolded. Player essays/editorials, like those found on The Players Tribune, are en vogue, and garner a lot of attention. I think the fact that Lehner went public with his battle in such a personal, 'confessional' format made his story resonate with fans and the media that much more. I think the best part about his story is how it might help other people who are dealing with similar battles — Bell's "Let's Talk" is a great idea, but I don't often see players doing much more than supporting the cause with a social media post. Lehner really put his neck out on the line, and told people his story. That's inspiring and valuable to people, and adds to what a strong nominee he is. I just stop short of saying "he deserves to win more than XYZ".

1 hour ago, stackem30 said:

. I think the fact that Lehner went public with his battle in such a personal, 'confessional' format made his story resonate with fans and the media that much more. I think the best part about his story is how it might help other people who are dealing with similar battles — Bell's "Let's Talk" is a great idea, but I don't often see players doing much more than supporting the cause with a social media post. Lehner really put his neck out on the line, and told people his story. That's inspiring and valuable to people, and adds to what a strong nominee he is. I just stop short of saying "he deserves to win more than XYZ".

Well said.

4 hours ago, stackem30 said:

No need to apologize, Max — I wasn't offended by what you wrote. I do still think some of your logic is a stretch.

• "A more adverse story" doesn't make sense. Do you mean he battled through more adversity? That'd the same level of subjectivity I mentioned in my examples above. 
  • You also put a lot of emphasis on Lehner's stats, and while they do supplement the narrative that he rebounded from his struggles tremendously, I can almost guarantee that his GAA and SV% won't be in the forefront of voter's minds when they vote. They're going to look at the bigger picture (which still bodes well for Lehner).
  • Also, who says that the duration of their struggles is a factor? Say Clink Malarchuck gets his throat cut in 2019, returns from the injury, plays well, and gets nominated for the Masterdon. And there's another nominee who battled a chronic illness. Are you going to say the chronic illness wins, because what Malarchuk went through was a quicker time lapse? I just think that leads you to the same fuzzy logic.

Not trying to chastise or correct, or even steer the conversation. I just feel it's much better to say, "I think Lehner's a great candidate for the Masterson — I can't imagine a better story!", and not, "It's a mistake if they don't give it to him" or "His story was heavier, he had to battle through more." 

Having said all this, I do think Lehner will probably win the Masterdon. It would be incredibly well-deserved, too. I think the reason he's the strong favorite has less to do with what he went through (or how it compares to others), and more to do with the way the story unfolded. Player essays/editorials, like those found on The Players Tribune, are en vogue, and garner a lot of attention. I think the fact that Lehner went public with his battle in such a personal, 'confessional' format made his story resonate with fans and the media that much more. I think the best part about his story is how it might help other people who are dealing with similar battles — Bell's "Let's Talk" is a great idea, but I don't often see players doing much more than supporting the cause with a social media post. Lehner really put his neck out on the line, and told people his story. That's inspiring and valuable to people, and adds to what a strong nominee he is. I just stop short of saying "he deserves to win more than XYZ".

Well said. I get what you mean and agree with it all, what you stated about how it was "confessional" was what I really saw his story as. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2019 at 12:04 PM, stackem30 said:

I just stop short of saying "he deserves to win more than XYZ".

On 4/24/2019 at 12:04 PM, stackem30 said:

I think the reason some people might think he’s gone through more is the fact that it was publicized so much, or more so lehner publicized it and he didn’t need to do it, not foligno or anyone else especially out to the public. It takes a lot especially so a professional athlete to do that. I definitely should’ve reworded what I said earlier. Personally no one of the three deserves the trophy more than others, if I could give it to all of them I would. 

With that being said, I’m sure a lot of people can relate in saying they’ve been through a lot, including me. I won’t get into details about it. I didn’t really think about sending the message before thinking about it and I thought it was pretty shitty of me to say especially since I can say I’ve been through a lot of shitty things as well.  

7 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

With that being said, I’m sure a lot of people can relate in saying they’ve been through a lot, including me. I won’t get into details about it. I didn’t really think about sending the message before thinking about it and I thought it was pretty shitty of me to say especially since I can say I’ve been through a lot of shitty things as well.  

Southy, don't beat yourself up about it! Putting our foot in our mouths is part of the human condition... I do it everyday, in one way or the other. You didn't mean to imply anything negative, you were just impressed by Lehner's story. When talking awards, it's pretty common to debate who should win. The Masterdon trophy just presents a weird conundrum, because saying someone should win can result in some subjective, unintentionally callous debates about "who had it worse". 

Good luck with whatever you're going through — you (probably) won't be nominated for the Masterson, but like we were saying, displaying courage and fighting to overcome a personal hardship really is rewarding in and of itself.

4 hours ago, stackem30 said:

Good luck with whatever you're going through — you (probably) won't be nominated for the Masterson, but like we were saying, displaying courage and fighting to overcome a personal hardship really is rewarding in and of itself.

maybe I shouldn’t beat myself up over it but I wanted to say something anyway.

also, much appreciated. 

On 5/7/2019 at 9:57 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

:facepalm:

?

On 5/7/2019 at 10:30 PM, TheGoalNet said:

Be fascinating to see what he does this off season. Could a team that losses out on Bobs be a good fit for him? Does he want to stay on the Island? Could he replace Bobs in CBJ when he bolts to FLA?

I sure hell hope he stays. If he and/or Anders Lee dont resign, July 1st is gonna give me PTSD anytime I see that date lol

Archived