Convince me to NOT buy a set of Bauer Reactor 6000 pads

bunnyman666

26 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

They are white with red and silver accents. I will cover the accents with HTV if I buy them.

Why would I not buy them? Why would they be a bad investment?

Please help me out here!

Thanks!!!

New, used? Cost? 

5 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

My only argument against you? You PAW pads are pretty new and I am sure they are not the only ones in your garage. 

Sorry, but this is not an argument against buy :D .

5 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

New $500

For 500, great price.  btw. in local bauer store they are in sale .. for 1075.  

I decided against. I just can't justify this purchase. If they were all white, I would have been all over them. Padskins/padwrap have never worked out all that well for me, and covering up entire sections on a brand new pad with HTV is silly. 

Thanks for intervening. Also- I think I would be losing certain body parts if I brought home another set of pads. I know- it's easier to beg for forgiveness than ask permission, but when it's for the same crime, eventually it gets old for a spouse who even though she has more in hand bags and shoes, she would be furious! Happy wife, happy life; remember that nobody talks about the husband LOL

And it would be a silly purchase. As it is, I have a basement full of goalie gear!

I had 6000's before my 9000's, 9000's were a major improvement and still my favorite pad to date.  6000's didn't slide, rotate, or seal well in my opinion, but very soft and comfortable if you like that old school style hybrid pad.  However, if you like to incorporate a lot of butterfly in your game, you will probably not like them. Otherwise I'd say $500 is a steal for a new set of pro gear, outdated or not. 

39 minutes ago, jayluv54 said:

I had 6000's before my 9000's, 9000's were a major improvement and still my favorite pad to date.  6000's didn't slide, rotate, or seal well in my opinion, but very soft and comfortable if you like that old school style hybrid pad.  However, if you like to incorporate a lot of butterfly in your game, you will probably not like them. Otherwise I'd say $500 is a steal for a new set of pro gear, outdated or not. 

This was the input I needed; thank you! 

I did have a set of Reactor 2000. These were what I taught myself to butterfly slide in. I may have played one drop in session with those. The toe trims are made of a totally different grade of Jenpro than the pad, as they are crumbling. The nylon bits on the leg channel were puffing up like downy feathers! So there is a LOT of Gorilla tape on the nylon. They will be street pads when I do a couple of mods on them. 

Whilst certain that the 6000 do not have the nylon problems in the leg channel like the 2000, you may be right that they could be a bit too soft. I know I am a hybrid goalie, but when play is close, I am down in the butterfly until I can smother the puck or get it to a defenseman (or the puck goes in!). I don't go down for every shot (though I think I should a bit more). 

I am still trying out different things as my goal game evovles. 

• 5 months later...
22 hours ago, ULTIMA said:

More goal pads do not get you laid. I'v tried.

/end thread

They do quite the opposite when you've been married for 16 years.... buying anything for oneself does not help the nookie situation lol. 

How does the more mask philosophy work?  Or are all the ladies you require painted on prothechsports lol.  too soon?

I'm not a married man, not yet anyway so you got me there.

I found it's different with masks. As long as it's the same mask, I can always change one to another and not feel any different. But having several leg pads, I always find a favorite and not wana use the others and they sit around. And the paint was to do something different, I don't do replicas or do other ideas. That's what I came up with.

12 minutes ago, Doobiesnax said:

They do quite the opposite when you've been married for 16 years.... buying anything for oneself does not help the nookie situation lol. 

How does the more mask philosophy work?  Or are all the ladies you require painted on prothechsports lol.  too soon?

My wife has a very impressive premium watch collection thanks to me; this allows a few more purchases. 

Just now, bunnyman666 said:

My wife has a very impressive premium watch collection thanks to me; this allows a few more purchases. 

I guess i have some wiggle room shoes and about 400 + bottles of wine are my wife's poison....  As long as im clearing out stuff i'm not using she doesn't really say anything.  When I get a whole new set next year I'm sure i'll have to shell out for a vacay or something equally distracting ;)

4 minutes ago, Doobiesnax said:

I guess i have some wiggle room shoes and about 400 + bottles of wine are my wife's poison....  As long as im clearing out stuff i'm not using she doesn't really say anything.  When I get a whole new set next year I'm sure i'll have to shell out for a vacay or something equally distracting ;)

Wifey has 350+ pair of shoes!!!!

22 hours ago, Doobiesnax said:

I just bought a set of like new retro 4000s to go with my new glove set ups for $150 cad!!!  ..... I plan on doing some strapping mods (elastics like most recent pads), de-branding and adding some monster knee stacks. #doublebreaklife 

Ive got the reactor 4000x's , keep me updated with your mods im interested to see how i can improve the pads

22 hours ago, Doobiesnax said:

I just bought a set of like new retro 4000s to go with my new glove set ups for $150 cad!!!  ..... I plan on doing some strapping mods (elastics like most recent pads), de-branding and adding some monster knee stacks. #doublebreaklife 

I have the exact same pads, same size as well. Except mine is heavily modded, and i've replaced the toe bindings. 

22 hours ago, Znowleopard said:

Ive got the reactor 4000x's , keep me updated with your mods im interested to see how i can improve the pads

Strapping mods and knee cradle mods are easy on this pad. 

Archived