Bauer Vapor 2X vs 2X pro

Westcoast Tender

I was at a hockey store recently and was looking at the vapor 2X pro pads. Big price tag $1900.  The young guy working there told me, I could consider the senior level pad vapor 2X at a price tag of $1000. He told me they were very similar and the senior was almost as good as the pro. When I asked him for more details on the difference between the two, he could really tell be other than to say the internal foams were probably different. Does that really explain the $900 price difference?

I could not find anything on line to explain the differences.

Anyone have any information of the differences?

Anyone have the senior 2X? If so, how do they perform, any wear issues..?

I have 2X and I like them so far, they slide really well and are VERY light. Big adjustment switching from Vaughn. If there is anything else you would like to know just let me know. One big difference I know is the fact that the 2X (non-pro) only have CortechST on the sliding surface.

7 minutes ago, Westcoast Tender said:

So the exterior material is different?  That was one of the things he told me was the same because they made improvements on it. 

The knee and calf wedge (basically the butterfly landing surfaces) of the 2X are covered with CorTechST, just like 2X Pro.
However, the rest of the 2X (face, sidewall, etc) is not CorTech, but some other synthetic leather. 2X Pro is 100% CorTechST throughout.

I believe the X900 and 1X Pro were the same way in that the knee/calf of the X900 was CorTech while the rest of the pad was synthietic leather, while the 1X Pro was 100% CorTech.

Bauer upgraded the CorTech material itself (CorTech vs CorTechST) with the update from the 1S to the 2S line. Vapor also benefits from the material upgrade.

• 5 months later...
On 7/4/2019 at 9:38 AM, Peter36 said:

I have 2X and I like them so far, they slide really well and are VERY light. Big adjustment switching from Vaughn. If there is anything else you would like to know just let me know. One big difference I know is the fact that the 2X (non-pro) only have CortechST on the sliding surface.

Hey thanks for this post! A lot of the stuff out there only focuses on the pro version. 

My questions:

- How has the durability of the synthetic leather on the face been for you? any threads loose or much discolouration?

- I guess coming from Vaughn all rebounds would be crazy, but how are the rebounds on the 2X version, still booming?

- have they softened up a lot over the last few months?

Thanks for your help!

3 hours ago, gotc said:

Hey thanks for this post! A lot of the stuff out there only focuses on the pro version. 

My questions:

- How has the durability of the synthetic leather on the face been for you? any threads loose or much discolouration?

- I guess coming from Vaughn all rebounds would be crazy, but how are the rebounds on the 2X version, still booming?

- have they softened up a lot over the last few months?

Thanks for your help!

- On don't have any complaints on the durability of the synthetic leather. A couple threads have ripped though. 

- The rebounds are definitely harder. They don't absolutely fly off the pad, but they have solid rebounds. I'm sure on the Pro pad they would fly off.

- They have softened up significantly over the last few months. I've been using them since August and they are pretty beat up and soft now.

To be fair, I really need a Pro level pad 😂. I'm on the ice like 10 times a week playing AAA, and I think the 2X (non-pro) pads aren't made to be used like that.

You'll almost never get a full, detailed explanation of what EXACTLY is going on internally of goalie equipment from a retailer. Quite frankly they just don't know. And it's not their fault, it's simply proprietary to the brand and their company. The usual answer is the different grades are made to accommodate the different levels of hockey but you'll be hard pressed to an in-depth answer as to what exactly is going on inside to justify the cost differential in grades of equipment.

5 hours ago, Peter36 said:

- On don't have any complaints on the durability of the synthetic leather. A couple threads have ripped though. 

- The rebounds are definitely harder. They don't absolutely fly off the pad, but they have solid rebounds. I'm sure on the Pro pad they would fly off.

- They have softened up significantly over the last few months. I've been using them since August and they are pretty beat up and soft now.

To be fair, I really need a Pro level pad 😂. I'm on the ice like 10 times a week playing AAA, and I think the 2X (non-pro) pads aren't made to be used like that.

That's possible! haha. That's quite a lot of hockey, definitely pro level needed.

Thanks for your help!

8 hours ago, ULTIMA said:

You'll almost never get a full, detailed explanation of what EXACTLY is going on internally of goalie equipment from a retailer. Quite frankly they just don't know. And it's not their fault, it's simply proprietary to the brand and their company. The usual answer is the different grades are made to accommodate the different levels of hockey but you'll be hard pressed to an in-depth answer as to what exactly is going on inside to justify the cost differential in grades of equipment.

Why do some sales staff make things up when they don’t know? I have been quite amused by this practise, as some will literally tell tall tales, usually unprompted, making things up to seem more knowledgeable and hopefully close the sale. Management seems to play along, which is weird. I don’t call them out on it, as when I was younger, I made a thing or two up, as I needed to compensate for my youth and lack of knowledge. The difference is that when I finally figured out the incredulous tone in the “I see” answers, I stopped and learnt that the less you say, the more credibility you earn. If I am fed one line of balderdash, I make a bee-line to the next retailer or buy my stuff on line. Why reward dumb behaviour ?

But I would rather they say they aren’t certain what elements changed in lesser lines than to make things up. I generally don’t press as you can clearly feel a difference when holding the item in your hands, as the tactile feel of the faux leather is definitely different, the strapping materials feel lesser and the nylons feel more brittle. You can feel that a lower level of product is not going to last if you play more than three times per week on a consistent basis. 

It always killed me when Brian’s claimed their off-shore line used 75% of what their North American made line used, but was never specific on what 25% was lesser. That is another subject for another day...

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

Why do some sales staff make things up when they don’t know? I have been quite amused by this practise, as some will literally tell tall tales, usually unprompted, making things up to seem more knowledgeable and hopefully close the sale. Management seems to play along, which is weird. I don’t call them out on it, as when I was younger, I made a thing or two up, as I needed to compensate for my youth and lack of knowledge. The difference is that when I finally figured out the incredulous tone in the “I see” answers, I stopped and learnt that the less you say, the more credibility you earn. If I am fed one line of balderdash, I make a bee-line to the next retailer or buy my stuff on line. Why reward dumb behaviour ?

Its the old "blind em with bullshit" line.  i work in sales but if there is something I don't know i get the answer before opening my mouth.  as retailer they should be doing the same, to provide a well informed answer.  granted the front line staff is probably not making more than minimum wage so they may not care as much as the managers should.

3 minutes ago, Netnewbie said:

Its the old "blind em with bullshit" line.  i work in sales but if there is something I don't know i get the answer before opening my mouth.  as retailer they should be doing the same, to provide a well informed answer.  granted the front line staff is probably not making more than minimum wage so they may not care as much as the managers should.

Exactly. I used to be in sales, as well; thankfully, every manager I ever had would get on people for spreading baloney! Not knowing your products led to being asked to sign a resignation letter “you” wrote LOL

7 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Exactly. I used to be in sales, as well; thankfully, every manager I ever had would get on people for spreading baloney! Not knowing your products led to being asked to sign a resignation letter “you” wrote LOL

On the other hand, I used to love shattering the ageist assumptions made by some patrons when I worked in a hardware store while going to Cegep and University (7 years all told).

Sometimes I would tell them the simple truth of a product/installation/custom ordering, they would politely thank me, and then go find someone who looked older. Then that older colleague would bring them right back to me, saying “THIS guy Lucky Pucker knows the most about this, Sir. Ask him.” LOL! 

Another favourite was when someone would try to return something NOT from our store without a bill for a store credit. Cashier would call me, client would say “yeah, I bought it here - probably before you started working here...” and I’d say “that’s possible, but I’ve never seen it in the 7 years I’ve worked here, and the store credit is only good for items in inventory for the last 2 years.”

mic drop, you presumptuous prick.

24 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

On the other hand, I used to love shattering the ageist assumptions made by some patrons when I worked in a hardware store while going to Cegep and University (7 years all told).

Sometimes I would tell them the simple truth of a product/installation/custom ordering, they would politely thank me, and then go find someone who looked older. Then that older colleague would bring them right back to me, saying “THIS guy Lucky Pucker knows the most about this, Sir. Ask him.” LOL! 

Another favourite was when someone would try to return something NOT from our store without a bill for a store credit. Cashier would call me, client would say “yeah, I bought it here - probably before you started working here...” and I’d say “that’s possible, but I’ve never seen it in the 7 years I’ve worked here, and the store credit is only good for items in inventory for the last 2 years.”

mic drop, you presumptuous prick.

Believe me- I know ALL about what you speak. My family’s Dick Clark gene pooters out at about 50-ish; mine pootered out prematurely when I got ill. I looked to be about 12 until my mid thirties, in which then I still got carded to buy liquor until I stopped colouring my hair. Of course the last three years aged me a fair bit.

I understand that I am many of the kids (working in the stores) dads’ age if not older. But don’t bullshit me for the sake of bull shit!

Archived