Custom gear order through your local dealer

Lucky Pucker

My investigation into possibly buying Pro Brian's pads continues. Some pretty obscene numbers have been thrown around (and that's without discussing my stats) but thus far there has been minimal collateral damage to the state of my marriage.

I was wondering if anyone can speak to a few questions:

• How do you save your design and then get your design from the customizer to your LHS for order placement?
  • How does payment work? Is it usually a deposit when order is placed, and balance on delivery?
  • Does the LHS dealer have any wiggle room on price, or will it be the MSR?

Cheers folks!

Since you're talking Brian's, are you going for a full custom design?

If not then the process will be like this (more or less).

- Bring in a completed customizer sheet or do one on site
- Pay a deposit. My Warrior pads were a $600 deposit and the rest due on pickup.
- I'm sure there is some wiggle room with different manufacturers and suppliers. THS saves you the tax (15% off) when buying a complete set. Though, some manufactures are very inflexible on their pricing. I know Vaughn is one, I'm assuming Brian's is too. Especially being Canadian made, they have smaller margins to negotiate with.

I paid a $200 deposit on just a glove and the rest will be paid once it reaches the shop in Surrey. 

In addition to Rance, Cam at The Hockey Shop is awesome.  Super nice guy and super helpful and incredibly informative and knowledgeable.  I had a really great experience there talking to him and eventually communicating via email for my glove.

5 minutes ago, seagoal said:

I paid a $200 deposit on just a glove and the rest will be paid once it reaches the shop in Surrey. 

In addition to Rance, Cam at The Hockey Shop is awesome.  Super nice guy and super helpful and incredibly informative and knowledgeable.  I had a really great experience there talking to him and eventually communicating via email for my glove.

Too bad he's a crummy goalie. :giggle:

12 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

He's actually a good goalie lol.

And sometimes. I've played against him throughout the years with no real consistency. Though this year we'll both be in the same division.

Which Division of how many total?

I would recommend shopping around for sure. My local dealer wanted over $600 more than what I ended up paying for my Brians set from the Goalie Crease. It was $1000 deposit with the rest paid when they arrived in store. You get a code off the Brian’s web site when you finish in the customizer, send that code to the shop and then phone them to discuss any Mods you might want to do with the set that are not featured on the website. Brian’s is really good at not up-charging for most mods. I was able to get most of my mods included in the price but did pay an extra $125 for a deeper pocket on my glove. 

4 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Nice.  Wow, 12 Divisions. 

Hockey isn't tough to find around here. Where I play (and where @Flyers27 used to play) isn't even the biggest league.

ASHL in Burnaby 8 rinks is massive:

- Weekend League: 10 Divisions
- Women League: 7 Divisions
- 18+ League: 20 Divisons
- 30+ League: 12 Divisons
- 40+ League: 4 Divisons

That's 53 separate divisions of 5-8 teams.

Sorry to hijack your thread @Lucky Pucker

5 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

I was wondering if anyone can speak to a few questions: 

• How do you save your design and then get your design from the customizer to your LHS for order placement?

Complete the Brian's customizer and save the code it generates at the end.
You can print out the spec list too and bring it to the shop if you want to.

How does payment work? Is it usually a deposit when order is placed, and balance on delivery? 

This depends on the shop. My shop requires payment in full to place the order.

Does the LHS dealer have any wiggle room on price, or will it be the MSR?

Probably, but they likely won't budge. With Brian's, some custom options may result in an up-charge.

Another rather dumb question, for those familiar with the custom order Gnetik IVs - where on the pads do these embroideries end up?

Would love to see a pic of an example if someone has (and is willing to post; I understand privacy/identity concerns where actual names are concerned might preclude sharing for some)

image.png.6f329d2c82c27804aa2b128a8b393d52.png

1 hour ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Another rather dumb question, for those familiar with the custom order Gnetik IVs - where on the pads do these embroideries end up?

Would love to see a pic of an example if someone has (and is willing to post; I understand privacy/identity concerns where actual names are concerned might preclude sharing for some)

I took this screenshot from the hockeyreviews.ca video comparison of the GNetik 4 and Optik pads. This is how it looks on the GNetik ones:

image.png.037c7102761918b6953e5d15a4e5a14e.png

2 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

@Lucky Pucker I feel like you should go for more red and use black just for a small accented affect.

Unless you're going for that dark + Light mixed look?

Maybe, but I'm trying to find a compromise between the fact that I like black (all black base with accents would be great!), and the fact that I'm locked into the gloves pictured above. I'm trying to find something that's got a bit more black, but still works at a glance with the gloves I already have. I also have white and black jerseys, and black pants, so the red is all but banished to being an accent colour in the overall look

...of course if you can float me a brotherly loan, I'll just get a complete set in black! That would be real solid of you, @coopaloop1234

16 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

...of course if you can float me a brotherly loan, I'll just get a complete set in black! That would be real solid of you, @coopaloop1234

Buddy, my available gear fund is recently tapped out. :giggle:

Your second image works better in my opinion. Maybe a bit more red? Or even a full red base with black and white accents?

So looking at my gloves again, I think you were right @coopaloop1234 - I need a bit more red. I've added a few more tries above that I think work better.

As much as I'd like a "block" of black -especially in that weave - I don't think it really works with my gloves. Plus, I feel like a block of black is restricted to the bottom of the pad, as it (at least visually/psychologically) has a "weight" too it, and would somehow make the pads look top heavy if the block was in the thigh rise (if that makes any sense).

I might just decide "feck it - the black is damned cool" anyway.

I'm in the camp that as long as the colors match, each piece doesn't have to match 100%.  I like the look of the pads with more black in it.  As long as its all red, white, black its still going to look good.  I also agree with Cwarner about using the different fabrics to add depth to the graphic.

Archived