Goalie jock and knee pads are falling down.. how to fix this?

Hi goalies!

Looking for help, otherwise, I don't feel safe protecting nets.

I am just wondering how do you deal with the 'goalie jock' thus it is not falling down? 

For me, it is falling down, even though it's tight enough. Maybe it's been used for a quite long time and straps are loose now.

Same for the knee pads they fall down. They are attached to a garter belt.

To be precise garter belt is on the same level as goalie jock and I believe garter belt pulls down both itself and goalie jock.

My question is, what is your setup, thus everything stays in place?

1 hour ago, goalieisalwaysgoalie said:

Hi goalies!

Looking for help, otherwise, I don't feel safe protecting nets.

I am just wondering how do you deal with the 'goalie jock' thus it is not falling down? 

For me, it is falling down, even though it's tight enough. Maybe it's been used for a quite long time and straps are loose now.

Same for the knee pads they fall down. They are attached to a garter belt.

To be precise garter belt is on the same level as goalie jock and I believe garter belt pulls down both itself and goalie jock.

My question is, what is your setup, thus everything stays in place?

I have tied my kneepads to my pants with skatelace and I tape them lightly just below my knee. Which kneepads you are using?

For jock I've seen some goalies taping it even tighter but I'd prolly just go for a new one if you can afford it. It's one of the most important pieces of gear you wear!

I wear nylon hockey socks over my kneepads, the bottom half of which I tuck up underneath the bottom-most strap of my kneepads. Never had a problem with them falling down my knee, after I started doing that.

If the garter belt is pulling down your jock, then fixing your kneepads should fix your jock.

9 hours ago, Henkkath said:

I have tied my kneepads to my pants with skatelace and I tape them lightly just below my knee. Which kneepads you are using?

For jock I've seen some goalies taping it even tighter but I'd prolly just go for a new one if you can afford it. It's one of the most important pieces of gear you wear!

Do you have a picture how did you tied with the skatelace?

(found pic on google) but I got Reebok Sr knee pads like this:

d774f24e0099c5b5_small.jpeg

Basically every time you use tape to make the jock tighter? How exactly you do that?

7 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

I wear nylon hockey socks over my kneepads, the bottom half of which I tuck up underneath the bottom-most strap of my kneepads. Never had a problem with them falling down my knee, after I started doing that.

If the garter belt is pulling down your jock, then fixing your kneepads should fix your jock.

Basically you wear your knee pads then socks over your knee pads? Or you wear two socks, one for skates and one over knee pads?

'the bottom half of which I tuck up underneath the bottom-most strap of my kneepads.' I am trying to image how do you tuck up.. if you would have a pic I would appreciate so much.

12 minutes ago, goalieisalwaysgoalie said:

Do you have a picture how did you tied with the skatelace?

(found pic on google) but I got Reebok Sr knee pads like this:

d774f24e0099c5b5_small.jpeg

Basically every time you use tape to make the jock tighter? How exactly you do that?

I don't have a picture at the moment, I'll try to remember to take one later today.

Also I'm not taping my jock, I've seen someone do it. They just tape it around their waist.

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

You could disconnect the knee pads and the jock, tighten the jock, and just use clear sock tape around the straps of your knee pads.

That's what I do and they don't move or slide down at all. I've done this forever and have never had this problem at all. 

Thanks for the tip!

Does sock tape won't hurt your legs if you use to tight? or you have found the 'middle way'?

Also is your jock still or it moves slightly?

5 hours ago, goalieisalwaysgoalie said:

Basically you wear your knee pads then socks over your knee pads? Or you wear two socks, one for skates and one over knee pads?

'the bottom half of which I tuck up underneath the bottom-most strap of my kneepads.' I am trying to image how do you tuck up.. if you would have a pic I would appreciate so much.

I'll take a pic tonight. Basically though, when I put the hockey socks over my kneepads they hang down my leg because they were designed to go overtop of player shin guards. So all of the loose fabric underneath the bottom-most strap of my knee pad, I just tuck it up.

6 hours ago, goalieisalwaysgoalie said:

Thanks for the tip!

Does sock tape won't hurt your legs if you use to tight? or you have found the 'middle way'?

Also is your jock still or it moves slightly?

Nah.  I mean the tape stings for a second in the locker room but I just wrap it around the straps of my knee pads and then I never feel it again.  I wrap them pretty tight and I don't have any discomfort whatsoever.  To be fair, I'm used to it, but I don't think it's that big of a deal to get used to.   Here are my knee pads and I just tape around the 3 straps, tight enough to compress the pads a bit but not too tight to be restrictive or uncomfortable.

I can't say my jock has ever moved at all.  My pants fit properly and here is what I wear in order of how I put things on:  compression shorts with a regular cup / goalie jock / loose hockey shorts with velcro / leg socks.

Things always feel snug and comfortable and everything stays in place for me.

knee1.jpg

Knee2.jpg

Another tip to keep knee pads up: criss cross your elastic straps into an "X".

If you only have two, high strap attaches low, low strap attaches high - easy. If you have three, you simply X the bottom two straps and leave the thigh as is.

6 hours ago, seagoal said:

Nah.  I mean the tape stings for a second in the locker room but I just wrap it around the straps of my knee pads and then I never feel it again.  I wrap them pretty tight and I don't have any discomfort whatsoever.  To be fair, I'm used to it, but I don't think it's that big of a deal to get used to.   Here are my knee pads and I just tape around the 3 straps, tight enough to compress the pads a bit but not too tight to be restrictive or uncomfortable.

I can't say my jock has ever moved at all.  My pants fit properly and here is what I wear in order of how I put things on:  compression shorts with a regular cup / goalie jock / loose hockey shorts with velcro / leg socks.

Things always feel snug and comfortable and everything stays in place for me.

knee1.jpg

Knee2.jpg

Thank you for having a time to take a picture! Now it makes sense.

I will see how my knee pads can be used in this way.

What is your goalie jock?

I guess double protection as you do (compression shorts with a regular cup + goalie jock) is better than my 'rbk sr pro jock'  (random link from google - https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/rbk-reebok-pro-goalie-cup-jock-136756571 

and a picture

rbk-reebok-pro-goalie-cup-jock_1_1927f19 

1 minute ago, goalieisalwaysgoalie said:

Thank you for having a time to take a picture! Now it makes sense.

I will see how my knee pads can be used in this way.

What is your goalie jock?

I guess double protection as you do (compression shorts with a regular cup + goalie jock) is better than my 'rbk sr pro jock'  (random link from google - https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/rbk-reebok-pro-goalie-cup-jock-136756571 

and a picture

rbk-reebok-pro-goalie-cup-jock_1_1927f19 

image.png.60420e5b13d00e79783458b031147fa9.png

I wear a Vaughn LT90 jock with the outer “cup” (it is slightly more protective than felt) chopped and Factory Mad Gen 1 knee guards with a cheap base layer tight/legging OVER them. Garret Sparks spat this idea out and I ran with it. I tape kevlar/dyneema hockey socks over the knee guards. My shit stays where it’s supposed to.

Here is my Bauer senior garter attached to my Warrior knee pads.  These go over gform kneepads and a Bauer bottom goes over all that.  Then I wear my new Warrior X2 senior cup over that.  Everything stays put.   My last 8 year old Vaughn cup's elastic was done for and my jock was falling constantly.

20190618_204938.jpg

This may not help you if your jock doesn’t fit will, but I deal with this by skipping the garter belt and attaching my knee pads directly to my jock.

In the pic below, you can see the Velcro straps I sewed onto the tops of my knee pads. Those attach to the Velcro adjustment area on my jock. I have since switched to a Bauer S18 jock and upgraded to a pair of custom PAW PKP1000 knee pads. Sara built them with a similar top strap to attach them.

I am super happy with this set up. I feel that I have way more mobility in my legs with the knee pads no longer tied to my pants and I have zero slippage.

7AEC5989-4774-4993-9DFF-C79824C4C2E8.thumb.jpeg.c3619bca72687df6bf70947f853480b7.jpeg

8 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

So this is how I tuck my socks underneath my kneepads. (Apologies for the photos, my phone is a potato).
Works great. Never have any issues with my kneepads falling down my leg, and I'm quite active in my net.

20190923_221505.jpg

20190923_221615.jpg

20190923_221642.jpg

that is super interesting.  I might try it tonight at my pick-up game.

I don't like leg socks just sorta free form moving around and doing whatever they are gonna do...so what I do is tape the bottom of mine to the top of my skates so they stay stretched down towards my feet.  Your solution would essentially do the same, locking them in place, just on the opposite end.  It'd be weird for me to have my feet socks exposed and visible, but I suppose functionally that is irrelevant. 

Very interesting life hack, cheers.

Do they ever come free and fall out or do you take an extra step to secure them under the knee pad?

7 hours ago, seagoal said:

that is super interesting.  I might try it tonight at my pick-up game.

I don't like leg socks just sorta free form moving around and doing whatever they are gonna do...so what I do is tape the bottom of mine to the top of my skates so they stay stretched down towards my feet.  Your solution would essentially do the same, locking them in place, just on the opposite end.  It'd be weird for me to have my feet socks exposed and visible, but I suppose functionally that is irrelevant. 

Very interesting life hack, cheers.

Do they ever come free and fall out or do you take an extra step to secure them under the knee pad?

I've never had them come free during play, and don't do anything additional to secure them. Sometimes a little bit of the sock will start to slip out, but never more than an inch or so, and I only notice after the game when I'm taking my gear off and actually see it.

48 minutes ago, CJ Boiss said:

I've never had them come free during play, and don't do anything additional to secure them. Sometimes a little bit of the sock will start to slip out, but never more than an inch or so, and I only notice after the game when I'm taking my gear off and actually see it.

Nice, thanks for showing us this.  I am trying it tonight...although my Warrior knee pads have the lower shin pad thingy that your Bauer ones do not.  I'll see if I can work something out.

Archived