Looking for a new helmet

So currently looking for a new helmet. I have worn itech back in the late 90's early 2000's, then went with an NXI Stealth when I was in juniors. Still using the stealth but I feel like its getting a little old. I love the fit and feel of my mask, but I am unsure the size as its so old. I have a fairly large head, usually wear m/l hats fit snug and l/xl hats fit but are just a touch loose. I believe my head is around 23" if not a little bigger, with a kinda wide face. Wondering what the forum recommends for helmets, I am playing in the highest beer leagues in greater Grand Rapids, MI with x college and pro players. I am also an "emergency" back up for minor pro team. What do you guys like and why in terms of helmets. I have been looking at Warwick, Otny, Sportsmask, and Masked Marvels in particular. Is it worth it to go used? All the masks in the local shops feel very cheap and uncomfortable.

9 minutes ago, kyledjean said:

So currently looking for a new helmet. I have worn itech back in the late 90's early 2000's, then went with an NXI Stealth when I was in juniors. Still using the stealth but I feel like its getting a little old. I love the fit and feel of my mask, but I am unsure the size as its so old. I have a fairly large head, usually wear m/l hats fit snug and l/xl hats fit but are just a touch loose. I believe my head is around 23" if not a little bigger, with a kinda wide face. Wondering what the forum recommends for helmets, I am playing in the highest beer leagues in greater Grand Rapids, MI with x college and pro players. I am also an "emergency" back up for minor pro team. What do you guys like and why in terms of helmets. I have been looking at Warwick, Otny, Sportsmask, and Masked Marvels in particular. Is it worth it to go used? All the masks in the local shops feel very cheap and uncomfortable.

Personally, used helmets sorta weird me out and I don't play nearly as high as you do. 

How soon do you need it?  You typically won't pay more for a custom one, you'd just have to wait. 

There are specific threads on here for most mask companies you could check out with lots of info and posts about the custom process.

For what it's worth, I use a Sportmask T3 and I really like it and feel very safe in it, but the strapping takes a while to get used to because it feels and rests differently than masks that have  a clip up top.  Once used to it though it's super comfortable.

At your level of play you are going to need to pay good money, one way or the other.

I went with Masked Marvels a couple years ago and am very satisfied.  I have a larger head as well, and found the masks on the shelves in shops either left a huge gap between the shell and the backplate, or were too big around my face and rattled around a bit.

Joe did a semi-custom shell for me, based on some pics of me in my Bauer 950 at the time (and a bunch of other questions he asked me during the initial process), where the backplate was my only real fit issue.  So I did a medium sized Assault model with an extended shell to cover the gap.  Being in Michigan you could probably arrange to go in for a more hands-on fitting.  

They also work with lots of painters and SkinFx wraps if you're looking to get some paint done too, so that was a nice little reduction in hassle.  They shipped my mask to SkinFx and then to me when it was all done.

Not so much a time factor as a price factor. Do you guys think a lightly used (15x) otny x1 eco elite is worth $400? They look like they retail around $650 plus tax. 
I am actually in the same city as masked marvels (they run their camps on the south side of town) but not sure I could scrape together $800 before 2021. 

1 hour ago, kyledjean said:

Not so much a time factor as a price factor. Do you guys think a lightly used (15x) otny x1 eco elite is worth $400? They look like they retail around $650 plus tax. 
I am actually in the same city as masked marvels (they run their camps on the south side of town) but not sure I could scrape together $800 before 2021. 

That would be a pretty decent deal.

23 hours ago, MangoRhinehart said:

If you can wait 32 weeks, Protechsport is very much worth it. 

Also look at Shawn Schroeder of Kustom Composites. 

If you need it faster, Otny/Sport Mask, Wall 8 or 10, or Warwick/Defender.   Don't count out Promasque either. 

I am unable to find any info on Protechsports can you help me with a link?

On 10/21/2019 at 3:21 PM, Mroy31 said:

I went with Masked Marvels a couple years ago and am very satisfied.  I have a larger head as well, and found the masks on the shelves in shops either left a huge gap between the shell and the backplate, or were too big around my face and rattled around a bit.

Joe did a semi-custom shell for me, based on some pics of me in my Bauer 950 at the time (and a bunch of other questions he asked me during the initial process), where the backplate was my only real fit issue.  So I did a medium sized Assault model with an extended shell to cover the gap.  Being in Michigan you could probably arrange to go in for a more hands-on fitting.  

They also work with lots of painters and SkinFx wraps if you're looking to get some paint done too, so that was a nice little reduction in hassle.  They shipped my mask to SkinFx and then to me when it was all done.

How was the experience working with Masked Marvels? Might I ask what was the cost of your mask (ball park) and how much was the skinfx? Are you please with the wrap? Have you had any ear rings since? If you had to purchase another mask would you go back to masked marvels?

15 minutes ago, kyledjean said:

How was the experience working with Masked Marvels? Might I ask what was the cost of your mask (ball park) and how much was the skinfx? Are you please with the wrap? Have you had any ear rings since? If you had to purchase another mask would you go back to masked marvels?

The experience with Masked Marvel was great, I believe I was dealing directly with Joe and he was very responsive and helpful.  After I sent him my reference photos for fit, I think it was the next day that we chatted back and forth and I was all paid up and the order was started.  The mask was I think around $750/799 CAD (they do a CAD price so Canadian customers don't have to pay USD and just eat the conversion). 

SkinFx at the time I think was 150-200 for the design I wanted (you can see it on the MM website under the Assault model gallery, Purple/Gold Potvin with wings), and I think they top out at like $350 max for something like the really detailed designs he's done for AHL/Pro guys.  It's also held up great.  There's one tiny spot right behind my cage at the top middle where I took a clapper between the eyes that pushed the cage into the vinyl and it is bunched up, but that hasn't even spread so you can't see it without looking directly down from above at it.

I can't say I had any real issue with ringers in my old 950, but I definitely haven't had any issues with this mask.  That shot I referenced above was a really interesting case where it actually didn't feel like anything rattled at all, I barely noticed it hit me.  That's a pretty singular incident that probably had to do with the angle it hit at as much as anything, so I'm not saying you won't feel headshots ever.  I think the rubber washers they use around all the posts helps with cage shots, but it handles general headshots as well as any of my past masks.

The only reason I wouldn't go back to MM is just curiosity of other brands, like I'd be kind of curious to save up and go through an order with Pros Choice, but that's not because I don't like the MM.  I'd put them in that middle category of a custom/well fitting retail pro level mask (OTNY, Sportsmask etc.) where you pay closer to retail prices.  You don't have to go through a full custom process, but you get a much better process and more affordable mask than just buying a Bauer/CCM off the shelf for $1000.  I looked at is as like I was getting closer to a 960 mask, but paying closer to the 950 price.

So got a concussion on Monday from a clapper below the hash marks on a break away to the dome. Felt like my bottom lip exploded. Never had a shot hit my so square before. Popped a weld on my cat eye, and I don't even remember the shot hitting my cage. Took about 20 minutes to feel "normal", still played though. And Tuesday sucked pretty much at work. So got the ok from the wife to spend a "little more" on a mask. I think I have narrowed it down to either Otny X1 Eco Pro, and the Masked Marvels Assault. Both come out being pretty close in price and have the same dimensions and seem to have the same fitting. Looks totally different from my Stealth. Never used a chin sling before but really interested. I have never been one to be able to lift my mask up like I see most do, as I keep my mask pretty tight. Definitely time to get a new mask though as I can flex the chin a bit pretty easy, and just getting a new cage is around $135 so why not just get a whole new helmet. Just can't see what one mask has over the other. 

6 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Both Bauer and CCM have new Pro level masks coming in 2020, if you're not in a rush, you should wait until May and you'll have the most diverse range of options

Thanks, good to know. Not sure if I can wait that long though. Unless I find a cheap substitute for the time being.

• 2 weeks later...

After another concussion the following monday I had to get a mask very quickly. Went to perani's in flint and tried all all their masks, didn't care for the majority. Met up with Joe from masked marvels at a local tourny, tried on a few of his and landed on the Assault model. Asked how quickly I could get the mask from him and he said 6 weeks at the earliest, but he had sold a bunch to some retail shops around. Only had to drive about an hour away to pick up the new lid. Played in it that night, ironically the very first shot I took was right to the dome. Didn't even feel it. The Assault held up like a tank. Asked Joe about a chin sling and he said he would install one for me. Dropped it off on monday night while he was coaching and picked it up tuesday night while he was coaching. Say what you want about the second string leather co, but Joe has amazing customer service. Talked to me all in all probably for 3 hours, did the chin sling in a day turn around, FOR FREE. Best fitting mask i have ever had or tried on. Love the chin sling with chin strap. If you are in Michigan and aren't looking to get a custom fitted mask from Warwick (probably the Master of Mask Makers currently) then definitely hit up Masked Marvels. Joe will treat you right and is a very nice guy. Didn't even get the mask from him directly and he still hooked me up.

Mroy31: I believe Joe actually mentioned to me about your mask having an extended shell when I met with him.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I appreciate everyone in this forum and what they do for fellow goalies.

33 minutes ago, kyledjean said:

After another concussion the following monday I had to get a mask very quickly. Went to perani's in flint and tried all all their masks, didn't care for the majority. Met up with Joe from masked marvels at a local tourny, tried on a few of his and landed on the Assault model. Asked how quickly I could get the mask from him and he said 6 weeks at the earliest, but he had sold a bunch to some retail shops around. Only had to drive about an hour away to pick up the new lid. Played in it that night, ironically the very first shot I took was right to the dome. Didn't even feel it. The Assault held up like a tank. Asked Joe about a chin sling and he said he would install one for me. Dropped it off on monday night while he was coaching and picked it up tuesday night while he was coaching. Say what you want about the second string leather co, but Joe has amazing customer service. Talked to me all in all probably for 3 hours, did the chin sling in a day turn around, FOR FREE. Best fitting mask i have ever had or tried on. Love the chin sling with chin strap. If you are in Michigan and aren't looking to get a custom fitted mask from Warwick (probably the Master of Mask Makers currently) then definitely hit up Masked Marvels. Joe will treat you right and is a very nice guy. Didn't even get the mask from him directly and he still hooked me up.

Mroy31: I believe Joe actually mentioned to me about your mask having an extended shell when I met with him.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I appreciate everyone in this forum and what they do for fellow goalies.

I second your comments on Joe, super awesome to work with. I went with the Assault as well and couldn't be happier.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Any ideas for masks below or around $500? The RSX masks seem really interesting but I’ve heard they are crazy expensive. Also looking for kevlar, no plastic shells

Only guys that come to mind for around that price is ProtechSport: https://www.protechsport.com/english_1/the-masks

Either the Kevlar/fibreglass, or full fibreglass. Protection-wise they should both stack up equally well, but the 3 layers of Kevlar in the chin and forehead would make those areas slightly more resistant to deforming (basically, it'll do a better job deflecting the puck, and transferring impact energy uniformly through the foams).

Turn-around time is pretty big, and you need to send them a head mold, but that does mean the fit will be perfect.

(for what it's worth, Kaskisuo, Copely, and Subban have all worn Coveted)

My Coveted is fantastic, and Ron was really easy to work with. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. But if you're budgeting around $500, you'll get a better mask from ProtechSport.

(also, I think something is off with Coveted's website right now. Pages for certain helmet models aren't accessible through the site, though I was still able to find them with a google search)

5 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

(for what it's worth, Kaskisuo, Copely, and Subban have all worn Coveted)

My Coveted is fantastic, and Ron was really easy to work with. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. But if you're budgeting around $500, you'll get a better mask from ProtechSport.

(also, I think something is off with Coveted's website right now. Pages for certain helmet models aren't accessible through the site, though I was still able to find them with a google search)

That Kaskisuo's twopiece Coveted is grazy cool..

Maybe I that is gonna my nex mask, with cheater gage

Archived