Bauer 2S and 2X Pro Pad Width

Hockeygoalie111

Owners of 2S Pro and 2X Pro goalie pads-

Is the width of the pad actually 11 inches?  I've have two sets of the 1S version, and both measured closer to 10-10.5 in width.  Dennis from Factory Mad also confirmed this with sets he had modded.  He also mentioned how the front of the pad to the back of the knee stack (from side view) is shorter as well.  Guessing this was done to decrease overall weight.

I am just surprised this has never been more popular a topic of discussion.  As goalies, we want to have the most coverage allowed to us, so I would think this would concern some of you.

31 minutes ago, Hockeygoalie111 said:

Owners of 2S Pro and 2X Pro goalie pads-

Is the width of the pad actually 11 inches?  I've have two sets of the 1S version, and both measured closer to 10-10.5 in width.  Dennis from Factory Mad also confirmed this with sets he had modded.  He also mentioned how the front of the pad to the back of the knee stack (from side view) is shorter as well.  Guessing this was done to decrease overall weight.

I am just surprised this has never been more popular a topic of discussion.  As goalies, we want to have the most coverage allowed to us, so I would think this would concern some of you.

This is kind of why I don’t like the reduced outer roll. Even though it is rare a regular outer roll would make a save a reduced one wouldn’t, it just concerns me. I play a hands out style in close sometimes leave a tiny gap  above my pads, but never room up top. A shot could flip over a reduced outer roll just slightly where it wouldn’t with a regular one. Same thing with only being 10.5 inches. Playing goalie is literally a game of inches and I wouldn’t make my pads smaller just for like 2 ounces of weight saving it is dumb 

Do not own any current Bauer pads, but can confirm that Dennis builds right on the edge of the specs. My Factory gloves are a fair bit bigger than other brands with current specs. Have not compared my Factory pads to other modern pads, but I would wager he actually builds them very close to 11” wide, if not dead on. The ILP actually comes out a fair bit more than other pads. What is impressive is that the Factory gear is pretty light in spite of building right to the edge of the specs.

Building undersized will certainly save weight, material and money. I still maintain the ultimate goal of Bauer’s new gear is to save money building it and have it wear quickly whilst giving ultimate performance, therefore selling lots of high-performance, highly consumable gear that needs constant replacement.

We talked about it a bit when the Optik was first releasing.

I do believe that Bauer addressed those concerns and are meeting the 11" Max rule with their lines. I haven't measured my GT2's to see if Warrior changed it or not.

Ultimately, I don't think the 10.5" controversy is anything to worry about when it comes to actually playing the position. If you're relying on a half inch here or half inch there, I think there are bigger holes in your game to worry about. Though, whether or not the business side of it sits well with anyone is up for debate though. 

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

We talked about it a bit when the Optik was first releasing.

I do believe that Bauer addressed those concerns and are meeting the 11" Max rule with their lines. I haven't measured my GT2's to see if Warrior changed it or not.

Ultimately, I don't think the 10.5" controversy is anything to worry about when it comes to actually playing the position. If you're relying on a half inch here or half inch there, I think there are bigger holes in your game to worry about. Though, whether or not the business side of it sits well with anyone is up for debate though. 

One of the sets of 1S pads I had were pro returns from an NHL goaltender who I am in contact with.  I informed him of the smaller sized pad and he eventually made a switch to CCM.  Not sure if that had anything to do with it, but at the pro level, I am sure they would be VERY concerned about losing a total of 1 inch of coverage! Beer leaguers, not so much, but to me it's more of the principle.  Marketing your pads as super light weight, but not being the full legal size doesn't seem right...

Yeah, I can measure my 2S Pros later, but even the 1S set I had (mid cycle) were like @goalieThreeOne described, 11" or damn near close enough.

That does leave me interested as to the circumstances that lead to a 10.5" pad though.  I'm not denying they exist, but it seems like maybe not as simple as retail vs. custom order?

39 minutes ago, goalieThreeOne said:

My 2x Pros are exactly 11” wide. The wide angle lens of my phone causes parallax error so it'll look thinner in this photo, but I promise you it's 11", 10 7/8" at the very least.

Why is everyone so quick to get up in arms about Bauer?

42EFE141-BDA2-441E-ABB4-B7B02E9C19B5.jpeg

Because Bauer has been pretty polarising, even though CCM made pro equipment in Asia before Bauer and Warrior long before.  The new tech is always going to draw ire before it’s perfected and accepted, and the execution of the initial OD1N stuff was arguably kinda sketchy with durability issues. Of course Bauer is still pushing the envelope and making people uncomfortable, so there is still pushback against Bauer. For some, newer isn’t better...

I may be one of the biggest dyed in the wool Bauer doubters, but it did not stop me from buying an OG Supreme 1S glove; I can admit that the original OD1N stuff was a world changer and it is in my collection of NOS gear. 

4 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

Yeah, I can measure my 2S Pros later, but even the 1S set I had (mid cycle) were like @goalieThreeOne described, 11" or damn near close enough.

That does leave me interested as to the circumstances that lead to a 10.5" pad though.  I'm not denying they exist, but it seems like maybe not as simple as retail vs. custom order?

There’s some validity to that concern. I remember measuring my S190’s and it coming up narrow. Also even my 2x Pro’s subtly change width across the height of the pad. Maybe people are measuring only to the edge of the perpendicular surface as opposed to accounting for the slight roundness at the transition to the sliding surface? All sorts of things could occur, but I can guarantee if there was a specific measured intent to make the pads narrower it would have come out by now. The only dimensional problem I have with Bauer is how short the boot seems compared to Brian’s

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2019 at 3:15 PM, goalieThreeOne said:

My 2x Pros are exactly 11” wide. The wide angle lens of my phone causes parallax error so it'll look thinner in this photo, but I promise you it's 11", 10 7/8" at the very least.

Why is everyone so quick to get up in arms about Bauer?

42EFE141-BDA2-441E-ABB4-B7B02E9C19B5.jpeg

This is why people may accuse me or the other guys on social with defending Bauer, but it's great product. Yes, the 1S was rushed to market, but that is literally 5 years ago now... Those pads had issues and were not 11" wide. None of that is true of the new gear. If someone doesn't try and help to educate people on the truth, then people will continue to have misconceptions

6 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

This is why people may accuse me or the other guys on social with defending Bauer, but it's great product. Yes, the 1S was rushed to market, but that is literally 5 years ago now... Those pads had issues and were not 11" wide. None of that is true of the new gear. If someone doesn't try and help to educate people on the truth, then people will continue to have misconceptions

I used to go out of my way to defend Bauer. Nowadays I just shake my head and keep scrolling. It's one of the reasons I hate participating in any kind of fandom. It's like, okay your [[BRAND]] isn't doing what my [[BRAND]] is doing so you must take to the streets and proclaim how stupid my [[BRAND]] is because they aren't doing what your [[BRAND]] is doing and therefore me and my [[BRAND]] must be stupid/cheap/poorly made/ugly. The tendency to act tribal is in our nature, but it honestly baffles me how toxic some fandoms are. I don't care for CCM or Warrior products but if someone goes and posts their set online and it looks good, I give them props and move on. There's nothing more said than putting down a complete stranger online over loyalty to giant corporation that honestly doesn't care one bit about you as an individual in return.

5 minutes ago, goalieThreeOne said:

I used to go out of my way to defend Bauer. Nowadays I just shake my head and keep scrolling. It's one of the reasons I hate participating in any kind of fandom. It's like, okay your [[BRAND]] isn't doing what my [[BRAND]] is doing so you must take to the streets and proclaim how stupid my [[BRAND]] is because they aren't doing what your [[BRAND]] is doing and therefore me and my [[BRAND]] must be stupid/cheap/poorly made/ugly. The tendency to act tribal is in our nature, but it honestly baffles me how toxic some fandoms are. I don't care for CCM or Warrior products but if someone goes and posts their set online and it looks good, I give them props and move on. There's nothing more said than putting down a complete stranger online over loyalty to giant corporation that honestly doesn't care one bit about you as an individual in return.

All it takes is one perceived misstep for that fandom to go away.

Archived