Chrome vs White Cat eye cage?

Goalieman

6 hours ago, Goalieman said:

Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on chrome vs white cat eye goalie mask cage? Do you find one is better then the other as far as optics and vision? I notice the NHL is split down the middle so wondering what you all thought? Cheers

For the longest time I thought it didn't matter much... but once I started using white for an extended time I became very used to it to the point where I don't like a chrome cage anymore. Likely a placebo effect... but I just find myself less aware of the white cage than a chrome. Chrome is far more durable than a cage painted white... so if you go white I'd get it powder coated.

Individual experiences may vary in how much you actually see of the cage based on the shape of your mask and how close your face is to the cage etc... but one data point.

I feel pretty much the same as @BadAngle41. A white cage offers the least amount of contrast. For many years, I played with a chrome cage mostly because chrome's popularity had gotten to the point where it was ubiquitous. It appears to me that chrome is more reflective, and that creates the additional contrast that I find somewhat distracting. 

2 hours ago, dualshowman said:

I feel pretty much the same as @BadAngle41. A white cage offers the least amount of contrast. For many years, I played with a chrome cage mostly because chrome's popularity had gotten to the point where it was ubiquitous. It appears to me that chrome is more reflective, and that creates the additional contrast that I find somewhat distracting. 

Bauer's "chrome" cages now have a coating on the inside of the cage that makes them less reflective... I think they call it "True Vision." Essentially looks like it's been dulled by a media blasting or something.You still have the significant contrast though.

5 minutes ago, creasecollector said:

White cages look sweet, wish I owned one. 

However, the white can chip up pretty bad and look not-so-great after a while. 

I'll be sticking with my chrome cage for now.

Pick up a chrome and get it powder coated... won't chip & flake like a painted cage will do. Or at least will take MUCH longer for that to happen. I've taken some bombs off my powder coated cages and barely a scuff.

Just now, BadAngle41 said:

Bauer's "chrome" cages now have a coating on the inside of the cage that makes them less reflective... I think they call it "True Vision." Essentially looks like it's been dulled by a media blasting or something.You still have the significant contrast though.

Pick up a chrome and get it powder coated... won't chip & flake like a painted cage will do. Or at least will take MUCH longer for that to happen. I've taken some bombs off my powder coated cages and barely a scuff.

That's really good to hear. Thanks for this tip about the chromed w/white powder coat. Will keep in mind for maybe my next cat eye once this one is done..

3 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

Great idea! Do you know where one would get a cage powder coated? some of this stuff is new to me so thank you! 

7 minutes ago, Goalieman said:

Great idea! Do you know where one would get a cage powder coated? some of this stuff is new to me so thank you! 

I'm highly doubting you live anywhere near me.. but I'd say just google local powder coat shops. Given the large number of racing teams in my area there are about 6 or 8 good ones... but I just drop it off and ask they include it in the next batch of white they do. Of course there are a million shades of white... but whatever is basic is fine. It costs me like $20-$25... if even that in some cases.

As for cages... just hit up GoaliMonkey, PureHockey, or any other retailer for replacement cages for your mask (assuming it's one of the major brands.) Otherwise you may want to hit up GoalieParts.com as they have the standards as well as a good number of the odd strange and curious.

16 hours ago, Goalieman said:

Search for auto body/paint shops. I recently had a cage powder coated for under $30 US. If you are going with a basic common color like white and are patient, they may even just throw it in with another job for a reduced rate. 

Archived