Am I the Only One?

ThatCarGuy

So this has really been bugging me the last couple days. Saros wears CCM everything but doesn’t have a gear contract as far as I know. Seems like that’d be an easy way to make some extra money if you like all the gear and I keep wondering what’s holding him back. Possible brand change in the near future? 

There could be standard terms with CCM endorsements that athletes are required to take that Saros might not be willing or think worthwhile to take on? Media events, promotions etc? I agree, it's a bit perplexing, but this is the first that comes to mind.

1 hour ago, Snowman30 said:

Personal preference in gear, he likes the gear and it works for him. Usually only the big name players get the contacts are the are more marketable. There maybe a few back ups under equipment contracts but not alot. 

This is it. There's only a handful of guys that are rocking large sponsorships.

The back up goalie for a smaller market Western team is definitely not a prime candidate for marketing resources. 

Goddamn, I wish Saros' missed gear endorsement opportunities were the notion that'd been really bugging me the last couple days... I'm stuck worrying about this existential crisis/global pandemic/looming economic meltdown.

Stay gold, Ponyboy (I'm serious).

5 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

So this has really been bugging me the last couple days. Saros wears CCM everything but doesn’t have a gear contract as far as I know. Seems like that’d be an easy way to make some extra money if you like all the gear and I keep wondering what’s holding him back. Possible brand change in the near future? 

The NHL has changed... here's what I can share.

There's only 2-3 formal goalie "CCM Athletes" in the NHL

CCM does not pay 90% of the guys in there gear anything for wearing it

Crawford is a great example. He was a CCM athlete, he's not anymore. He immediately changed gear after CCM didn't renew (Spite store anyone?) and tried Bauer. That's probably his agent getting in his ear about his value?

I would imagine he could have received a Bauer deal if he was happy in the gear? Lefevre is the perfect landing sport. He's comfortable in the gear and there's no logos, but he's not being paid so it makes sense. Unfortunately, I think the agents drive most of the "spite" changes

Unless you are Carey Price, there's not much money in an endorsement. There's a reason Nike paid LeBron and Tiger $500mio + and they got out of hockey

Saros makes $700k. At most he could $30,000 a season to wear a different brand. Is it worth it?

4 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

This is it. There's only a handful of guys that are rocking large sponsorships.

The back up goalie for a smaller market Western team is definitely not a prime candidate for marketing resources. 

3 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

It's called being a backup. 

He played more games than Rinne...

He could have a different type of endorsement too. 

My cousin is in currently the NHL (For a Canadian Team) and while he doesn't have a national endorsement deal (advertising, media events, etc), CCM does give him an allowance on how much extra gear he's allowed to receive per year, which works for him quite nicely. No, for those wondering about my cousin, he's not a goalie. 

So Saros may not have a massive endorsement deal like Price, Fleury, etc, but I'm sure he's still fine doing his thing and wearing the gear that works for him and got him to that level. And if he has a gear allowance (let's call this a 'minor' endorsement deal), then he gets all the extra gear he wants if he goes over the top with his gear hoarding over a course of a season (without it affecting team budgets) and CCM gets to keep their guy in their gear to help with market share in the NHL. Win-Win.

16 hours ago, Peter36 said:

He played more games than Rinne...

Saros played 4 more games that Rinne. Saros started one less and won one less

Not exactly a great example of taking the reigns from a goalie that has been the face of the franchise for 13 years. Won't argue stats, but if we're talking about a marketable defacto starter, it doesn't hold up. 

15 hours ago, creasecollector said:

He could have a different type of endorsement too. 

My cousin is in currently the NHL (For a Canadian Team) and while he doesn't have a national endorsement deal (advertising, media events, etc), CCM does give him an allowance on how much extra gear he's allowed to receive per year, which works for him quite nicely. No, for those wondering about my cousin, he's not a goalie. 

So Saros may not have a massive endorsement deal like Price, Fleury, etc, but I'm sure he's still fine doing his thing and wearing the gear that works for him and got him to that level. And if he has a gear allowance (let's call this a 'minor' endorsement deal), then he gets all the extra gear he wants if he goes over the top with his gear hoarding over a course of a season (without it affecting team budgets) and CCM gets to keep their guy in their gear to help with market share in the NHL. Win-Win.

Goalies are not players. It's different now. Player sticks and skates are the profit centers for the entire industry.

With that said, there's definitely things that can be done for sure, but it's not cash and it's not a lot. When the shoe companies owned the gear companies, they could throw goalies nice workout gear gift package or golf clubs. When you already liked the gear or used it in Junior, it's nice a little perk that kept guys happy. Let's be honest, I'd wear Bauer if I get unlimited access to AM95s and vintage Jordans 🙂

I have heard that lots of CHL goalies get Lululemon gift cards as a form gear contract currency

Believe it or not, it's my understanding that Vaughn still does the most with gear contracts

Each company is different though... Any guesses what piece of gear gets the best contract? It's sticks. Many NHL goalies have a stick only deal for a brand that is only focused on NHL sticks within the goalie category

41 minutes ago, motowngoalie said:

I wonder if there's some regional aspects to this as well. It makes sense to have endorsed athletes in big markets (Lundqvist and Price come to mind), but maybe not so much in smaller markets, especially where hockey isn't the main sport. 

100%

- Is he a stud

- Is his market big

- Is his team good

- Is he a good person, good reputation

- Does he have Swag for the young kids

Fluery checked all these boxes but a big market (TO, MTL, MN, Chi, Det, Bos, NY would be big)

Price checked all these boxes but a good team

Lundqvist checked probably all these boxes when NYR was winning presidents trophies?

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

100%

- Is he a stud

- Is his market big

- Is his team good

- Is he a good person, good reputation

- Does he have Swag for the young kids

Fluery checked all these boxes but a big market (TO, MTL, MN, Chi, Det, Bos, NY would be big)

Price checked all these boxes but a good team

Lundqvist checked probably all these boxes when NYR was winning presidents trophies?

You forgot to check off if he's a handsome devil or not. 

If Rask was in CCM, do you think they'd plaster his mug all over their marketing material? :rofl:

5 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Goalies are not players. It's different now. Player sticks and skates are the profit centers for the entire industry.

With that said, there's definitely things that can be done for sure, but it's not cash and it's not a lot. When the shoe companies owned the gear companies, they could throw goalies nice workout gear gift package or golf clubs. When you already liked the gear or used it in Junior, it's nice a little perk that kept guys happy. Let's be honest, I'd wear Bauer if I get unlimited access to AM95s and vintage Jordans 🙂

I have heard that lots of CHL goalies get Lululemon gift cards as a form gear contract currency

Believe it or not, it's my understanding that Vaughn still does the most with gear contracts

Each company is different though... Any guesses what piece of gear gets the best contract? It's sticks. Many NHL goalies have a stick only deal for a brand that is only focused on NHL sticks within the goalie category

Oh for sure. I didn't touch on it in my initial comment, but there definitely a lot of perks to keep guys in the gear they currently have without using a big money deal or something.

Price and Fleury are the only G's left on the 'pro' section of the CCM website, so its probably safe to say they're the only guys left in the league as CCM athletes as TGN says.

Over the past few years (from what I remember) theres also been:

- Bernier in his Toronto days, when he was still considered a solid prospect

- Giguere in his Toronto days

- Luongo, mainly when he was in Van

- Crawford up until this year 

- Miller when he was a Sabre and they were pushing the Larceny line

All saleable guys (at the time) and in big hockey markets.

First I ever saw of Saros in Finland playing for HPK he was in P4's, so he's been Reebok-CCM guy ever since he's been a pro - like a lot of pros he probably just sticks to what works. 

Yeah, pretty much anyone you saw on a Pro Hockey Life billboard has been a RBK/ReebokCCM big guy at one point or another. Makes sense, especially their stock in the league at those points in their careers and their marketable goaltending image at that time. Few and far between for sure.

Archived