Steel Questions

So I need some new steel. There are a lot of options out there so así need to choose the right one. I have two sizing questions. My skates are 5.5 so does the steel need to 5.5 as well? I have only seen even sizes (5, 6, 7) Question two my 1x vapors currently have 3mm steel so does my new steel also need to be 3mm?

Steel doesn't come in half sizes. So you would need size 5 or size 6, depending on the size of your holder. Your holder size depends on your skate size and skate width.

You can also try pulling your steel out of your skates and looking for the size marking. It should be printed on the back notch.

1 hour ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

So I need some new steel. There are a lot of options out there so así need to choose the right one. I have two sizing questions. My skates are 5.5 so does the steel need to 5.5 as well? I have only seen even sizes (5, 6, 7) Question two my 1x vapors currently have 3mm steel so does my new steel also need to be 3mm?

3mm is all you will find for your skates now. Step Steel use to offer it call Fat Blades but Bauer used Step Steel and Step is no longer making any blades for Bauer skates. Your options for steel are Bauer blades again L5SG, Tydan Blades and Massive blades. Massive seems to be the leaser known one of the three. Am researching new steel myself and am leaning towards Tydan myself.

4 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Some places will still have step steel and the size is your holder size. On my 2x I have the 4mm blade, never got used to the 3mm. No issues. 

You have three options as far as make, and a few more as far as steel quality.  In general, the harder the steel, the longer your edges will hold.

Bauer stock steel.  This is the cheapest option, in both edge quality and performance.  LS3G and LS3G+ are their stainless options, with the only difference between the two is the height (LS3G+ is slightly taller).  LS5G (carbon, or "black" steel) might be a bit better. 

StepSteel.  Might be kind of hard to find these days.  I believe they only offered stainless variants the Bauer.  You can get the regular 3mm, which is like what you have now - or the 4mm fat, which is 3mm at the connection point, which then flares out to a 4mm.  Step is generally regarded as better quality steel than stock.

Tydan.  IMO the best option available.  Only available in 3mm.  You have the option of stainless, gold Ti and black DLC (diamond-like carbon) available.  In terms of steel hardness, it pretty much goes in the order I described with black carbon being the hardest available.

On 6/8/2020 at 6:56 PM, Chenner29 said:

You have three options as far as make, and a few more as far as steel quality.  In general, the harder the steel, the longer your edges will hold.

Bauer stock steel.  This is the cheapest option, in both edge quality and performance.  LS3G and LS3G+ are their stainless options, with the only difference between the two is the height (LS3G+ is slightly taller).  LS5G (carbon, or "black" steel) might be a bit better. 

StepSteel.  Might be kind of hard to find these days.  I believe they only offered stainless variants the Bauer.  You can get the regular 3mm, which is like what you have now - or the 4mm fat, which is 3mm at the connection point, which then flares out to a 4mm.  Step is generally regarded as better quality steel than stock.

Tydan.  IMO the best option available.  Only available in 3mm.  You have the option of stainless, gold Ti and black DLC (diamond-like carbon) available.  In terms of steel hardness, it pretty much goes in the order I described with black carbon being the hardest available.

I thought step doesn’t fit on new Bauer skates?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

it made by STEP,  fat blades i believe thats what they call it.  

Have it, not good, heavier and not as tall as regular replacement blades like tydan.

Also don't like how they rocker the stock blade.I usually get a 80/160 on top of the 30' or 50' stock blade Tydan and massive.

I would stick with LS5G.   I've rotated through two pairs of 5G for the last 18 months and both are still doing well.  Prior to the 5G I had Tydan Black and it definitely didn't feel as nice on the sharpener, although it held an edge as well as the 5G.  Given that Tydan costs more than the Bauer steel I can't really see paying the extra for a product that, at best, performs equally.

One other option that no-one has brought up is Bladetech.  Again, I'm not sure I'd pay the premium, but it's an option.

On 12/31/2020 at 12:18 PM, RichMan said:

@Puckstopper Bladetech is flexible steel tech. Is that a good thing for goalies? Wouldn't a stiff blade be better for pic and pushes? 

I brought that up in an Zoom call with their rep a few months back.  From what he said there's no flex to their goalie blades.  They added the cutout, but made the steel around the toe the same size as the stock Bauer blade, so there's no movement.   Basically it just lets them circumvent Bauer's patent.

Archived