Jump to content

Small, weak hands, need a new glove


Sport2

Recommended Posts

Hey! 

I'm in need of a new catch glove, the one I use now has a break in the cuff and the T has seen better days. I'm a women with small hands, so I will be looking at intermediate gloves. The problem I'm having is that my glove is so broken in, I'm having a hard time comparing something stiff and new to something that is 9 years old and I am terrified of shelling out a ton of money on a new pair of gloves only to find out they will not work for me.

I can't even close most of the gloves I have looked at. I picked up a used CCM E.3.9 Intermediate a while back and I can't close it either. I was still pretty stiff even though it was used, I tried the Keeps method on it but still can't close it at all. Is it normal to not be able to close a glove off the shelf or do I just have the world's weakest hands?

The only glove I could somewhat close off the shelf was a Bauer Vapor 2x intermediate, but was scared of buying it without doing any research first.

Does anyone have any experience with the Bauer glove, is it any good? Or have any other recommendations? 

Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't think you'll find too many people with first hand experience of Int. gloves, but, the Bauer line of gloves is a good line.

Honestly, I've always found CCM gloves my least favourite out of what's available. Guy's love 'em, I just find them to be the weakest offering out there. You'll be fine with almost any glove you choose from the major manufacturers. Really comes down to what you like to look at and which feels the best.

What are you currently using?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was able to get intermediate Passau gloves for my daughter when she was 12 and she was able to get the glove nice and floppy with nothing special for break in other than wearing it. She was able to close it pretty well out of the box. I can't get my hand in it so it was all up to her. You might want to check with them. They also have additional break-in available to help further.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Don't think you'll find too many people with first hand experience of Int. gloves, but, the Bauer line of gloves is a good line.

Honestly, I've always found CCM gloves my least favourite out of what's available. Guy's love 'em, I just find them to be the weakest offering out there. You'll be fine with almost any glove you choose from the major manufacturers. Really comes down to what you like to look at and which feels the best.

What are you currently using?

I'm currently using Reebok Revoke 7000s (juniors!). They must run big, because most of the intermediates I've tried on (save for maybe CCMs) look and feel around the same size.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Sport2 said:

I'm currently using Reebok Revoke 7000s (juniors!). They must run big, because most of the intermediates I've tried on (save for maybe CCMs) look and feel around the same size.

So CCM would be a natural continuation for glove feel.

What's your budget? If you're willing, you can always buy a custom glove and have them make the internals intermediate size. You get a better feel and the added bonus of the full senior sizing.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sport2 said:

Hey! 

I'm in need of a new catch glove, the one I use now has a break in the cuff and the T has seen better days. I'm a women with small hands, so I will be looking at intermediate gloves. The problem I'm having is that my glove is so broken in, I'm having a hard time comparing something stiff and new to something that is 9 years old and I am terrified of shelling out a ton of money on a new pair of gloves only to find out they will not work for me.

I can't even close most of the gloves I have looked at. I picked up a used CCM E.3.9 Intermediate a while back and I can't close it either. I was still pretty stiff even though it was used, I tried the Keeps method on it but still can't close it at all. Is it normal to not be able to close a glove off the shelf or do I just have the world's weakest hands?

The only glove I could somewhat close off the shelf was a Bauer Vapor 2x intermediate, but was scared of buying it without doing any research first.

Does anyone have any experience with the Bauer glove, is it any good? Or have any other recommendations? 

Thanks!

Have you looked at warrior gloves? My G5 was the first glove that I have used that snapped shut as soon as I put it on. It’s closes pretty effortlessly right out of the box. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 2padstack said:

I was able to get intermediate Passau gloves for my daughter when she was 12 and she was able to get the glove nice and floppy with nothing special for break in other than wearing it. She was able to close it pretty well out of the box. I can't get my hand in it so it was all up to her. You might want to check with them. They also have additional break-in available to help further.

I never even though of Passau. I have a chest protector from them and I love it! How long has she had the glove. Has it held up well? Does she still like it?

The only thing that would worry me with Passau is I'm thinking I probably won't be able to try on a glove before purshasing. May be worth contacting them to see though, thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Quadzilla32 said:

Have you looked at warrior gloves? My G5 was the first glove that I have used that snapped shut as soon as I put it on. It’s closes pretty effortlessly right out of the box. 

I was hoping to try on some Warrior and Brian's gloves, but the store I was at didn't have many of these in stock. They had one Warrior intermediate glove that I did try on, but the break angle felt really ackward. I'm not sure what model it was though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

So CCM would be a natural continuation for glove feel.

What's your budget? If you're willing, you can always buy a custom glove and have them make the internals intermediate size. You get a better feel and the added bonus of the full senior 

I don't really have a set in stone budget, but I'm very picky about my gear (aren't we all?) especially my gloves so I'm a little scared at spending the money on a custom set only to realise they won't work for me. If I knew for sure I would love them I wouldn't hesitate.

But it's nice to know that's an option, thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First - welcome to the board.

Second - I'd tend to agree with you - I've found that the same glove model from the same manufacturer can feel different glove to glove. If you are super "selective" (not picky) it'd probably be best to find something off the shelf. As for a "recommendation" I'm a smaller-ish dude in general (5' - 4"/5"-ish) and I'm currently using Warrior G2 gloves with absolutely no complaints. Before that - Bauer Reactor glove set (which were also great) and before those a custom set of Brian's Zero G's (that I ordered to replace the stock set of Zero G's that were fantastic). The custom Zero G trapper felt nothing like the off the shelf one in my opinion - almost had that palm "bump" others have mentioned from other manufacturers. I also asked for an intermediate palm on the blocker since - for whatever reason - the finger stalls on the stock one seemed ridiculously long compared to other brands. After that miss in the custom department - I found the Reactors in store.

Hope that helps some - happy hunting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Sport2 said:

I was hoping to try on some Warrior and Brian's gloves, but the store I was at didn't have many of these in stock. They had one Warrior intermediate glove that I did try on, but the break angle felt really ackward. I'm not sure what model it was though.

All Warrior gloves are stock 75 degree break gloves (or 600 in CCM terms). Your Larceny will be a 60 degree break (590 in CCM terms).

Other 60 degree break gloves are the Vaughn Pro Carbon XP or Pro V Elite 2, Bauer 2X, and obviously CCM Eflex/Premier/Axis gloves in a 590 break.

Warrior Ritual gear (G4/G5) have removable liners in their catchers. So you can try different "pseudo breaks". The glove will ultimately still be a 75 degree break, but the liners adjust your hand to somewhat mimic other breaks  (60 or 90 degree).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Sport2 You can get any glove you want if you put in some time with a grip strengthener. I couldn’t close gloves for a while and couldn’t fully close the glove I had for 4 years and then spent a few months using grip strength balls of different levels and now I can fully close my gloves. I currently use custom Gould gloves (made by Sara at PAW) and I have an intermediate palm in a senior glove. They can build you whatever you want and the glove is most similar to a Reebok/CCM 590. You can get to their gear section here... https://www.goodasgould.com/equipment.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m also a female goalie (5’4”). I wanted/needed a senior glove since I play with the guys as well as the gals.  I didn’t find the protection good enough in intermediate gloves.  I have tried many different manufacturer gloves and found I like Brian’s best. I custom order with pro palm. Although the catcher is stiff at first, I am able to work it in nicely. Brian’s also has an option to leave it in the “break in” machine at the factory longer.  The material they use inside the glove is really nice for small hands as well. It does not become slippery when it gets sweaty, so I don’t feel the need to continually adjust my hand inside the glove. 
The final thing, I’d say is that for small hands the break of the glove is perhaps more important than for larger hands. I absolutely can not use a glove where the break requires more finger power to close. I need a glove where the break sits mid palm so I can more of my grip to close it. 
I have owned a Subzero 2, subzero 3, Gnetik 3, & I’m just waiting on a new Gnetik 4.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Sport2 said:

I never even though of Passau. I have a chest protector from them and I love it! How long has she had the glove. Has it held up well? Does she still like it?

The only thing that would worry me with Passau is I'm thinking I probably won't be able to try on a glove before purshasing. May be worth contacting them to see though, thanks!

She's going into her third season with them, no wear and tear at all, just a lot of puck marks. She still loves them, and she wants her next set to be Passau again.

I get the not being able to try them on aspect, I've ordered more than a few pieces that I ended up not liking and either returning or trying to re-sell.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 23 Guests (See full list)

  • Member Statistics

    2,008
    Total Members
    2,646
    Most Online
    b709
    Newest Member
    b709
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...