Leather trapper wrist strap mod

Scott

The idea of a leather buckle wrist strap in my trapper has always intrigued me to say the least, I like my trapper to be lose...other than the wrist, the wrist have to synched down. the traditional nylon wrist strapping system that is found in almost (Brian’s optic is the only outlier I know of) every stock trapper (I’m 16 and in no financial shape to be buying a custom glove just for a leather strap) doesn’t cut it, I find myself constantly ripping on the strap throughout the game trying to get it tight. 

Basically I was wondering if anyone has done this to their trapper, specifically a Vaughn but any input will help. I think it will be relatively strait forward if I keep a length of the nylon strap that is already sewn into the trapper as a point to attach the leather strap and buckle to. I will add pics later if my thoughts didn’t come out the way I thought them up?

I am planning on doing this mod, I’ll have to make a trip to pro hockey life to buy a strap and buckle and then I’ll do it, and of course I’ll post pics and say what I think of it??I just wanted to ask if anyone has had any experience trying this out in the past. Thanks

To add to @TheGoalNet said- I don’t think this is a DIY friendly mod. Sewing through leather is difficult enough. I think you would break the nylon webbing cinching the leather strap down if it were attached to the nylon webbing. 

If you were to try this DIY, I would do it on a POS glove you bought at PIAS for $20. I also think it would require you to partially, if not COMPLETELY disassemble the glove. Something tells me that it may not be sewn in at all.  The last time I disassembled a glove, I did not pay attention to how the strapping was in there as I was going to have composite thumb moulds made for the Reebok/CCM catch made and have Factory reassemble it for his better  closure, but something tells me that the strap goes through the plastic bits.  

If you were to try this, please don’t do it to your only glove good enough to play in. Try it on something you don’t care about to learn how it works. Buying a clapped out, POS glove would be great to learn how to refurbish and relace a glove. I may do that myself! 

I would be attaching the leather strap and buckle to the existing nylon strap. I don’t believe that the nylon strap will rip, but just to be sure I will likely put a few eyelets in the pieces of nylon strap I keep. (Keep in mind I don’t want to have a crazy tight strap, just a consistent snug fit) I will be punching some small holes in the leather to put the thread through and I will use some nylon chord as the main method of securing it, the sewing “with a thick twine like thread” will be just a little extra.

That may work, but I highly suggest that you try it on something that isn’t your best, at first. You would not need eyelets, just use a soldering iron to seal the hole in the webbing. You could maybe even affix the leather strap with a dome (helmet) screw like on leg pads. That may work pretty well, in fact.  If it were me, pull the strap and see if it is anchored. It may not be sewn in anywhere and you could thread the entire leg strap through. 

14 hours ago, Scott said:

I would be attaching the leather strap and buckle to the existing nylon strap. I don’t believe that the nylon strap will rip, but just to be sure I will likely put a few eyelets in the pieces of nylon strap I keep. (Keep in mind I don’t want to have a crazy tight strap, just a consistent snug fit) I will be punching some small holes in the leather to put the thread through and I will use some nylon chord as the main method of securing it, the sewing “with a thick twine like thread” will be just a little extra.

Can you open up your glove and take some pictures? If all you want is for the strap to stay at a consistent tightness (set it and forget it), then perhaps a leather strap is overkill. Maybe we can find a way to use a more secure fastener with the existing nylon. 

I managed to experiment the other week with my Brian's catcher. You can try to remove the nylon strap. 
Then feed thru the slots the end of a normal leather strap and then on the outside where it's cinched down I had the other end of a mushroom buckle to fasten it down. a little clunkier for sure though.

I'll add some photos later on this week.  

• 1 month later...

This response goes "off the page" but it worked really well in the past. My Pops was a mail man and there were always these really strong .5 wide nylon straps with a pull through slider clamp laying around. I tried it out after the stock one which came with my Vaughn broke. I asked Dad for one and I used it for decades. The damn strap outlasted the glove and when that strap was cinched, the glove became part of my wrist. Might want to ask your mailman for one.

Archived