Question for car mechanics

RichMan

You shouldn't have any fitment issues as the tires are pretty close in size, and typically fitment issues would be caused by sizing up rather than down. The 195/60 are a slightly smaller diameter, so one thing to be aware of is your speedometer is going to be slightly inaccurate, when the car shows 100km/h I'd expect your GPS speed to be about 96 or 97km/h. 

• Like 1

@RichMan

Folks typically go with the same or taller sidewall for a winter tire. Also at issue here is that the 88 tire load index for the 195/60R15. If it were my vehicle, I would not go with a lower load index than whatever the stock tire load index may be. It's minor, yes, but winter rubber in winter conditions already has more work to do than an all-season tire in temperate, dry weather. Speedo error aside, you may find this size and load winter tire to feel pretty terrible. YMMV.

The load index on a tire tells you how much one wheel can be loaded on. Two tires for an axle to compare to your cars axle masses.  There is no need to overlay the load index, but going under the rated axle mass of a car would lead into legal trouble if an accident occurs due to different tires.

Atleast for winter tyres we use here in the northern Europe, the load index is defined by tyre manufacturer to hold the load in all "normal" driving environments. So if the LI88 is enough for a cars mass, then the LI91 will go as well too.

If the car would need LI91 from tire, LI88 would be illegal (atleast here) but problems might occur only when car is loaded to full load and driven hard and fast to give stress to the tire. In normal driving there might not be any problem ever. 

That all said, I wouldn't go for a smaller tyre (and check the load index too) if there wasn't a very good reason to do so. It'll be off from driving comfort (harder wheel from less sidewall height) and in cold it'll be even bigger difference (noticeable if you could compare to the original sized tire).

• 2 years later...

162k miles isn't much on that Murano, but like the Outback it has a finicky CVT transmission.   I'd pay a mechanic to look any vehicle that old over in depth.   I'm always as suspicious of brand new fluids as I am about old burnt fluids in those inspections.   With a vehicle of that age it should have had transmission fluid changed at least once, brake fluid and coolant done a couple times, etc...   If it looks like they JUST did those things instead of keeping up on normal maintenance, walk away.  

• Like 1

I thought the CVTs were a later thing for the Subarus, I believe the 2.5i base still had the 4-speed which I mean wasn't great either. I think that was the first gen of the Muranos, and they had some design issues (which the owner may have resolved I dunno).

With either of these cars, do spend for the independent Pre-purchase inspection, it will save you so much in headache and more money. I've seen some nightmare scenarios.

I personally would go for the Subaru it's a better more capable ride (especially with our winters) and a refined design over the course of many years, but at that price range it's a bit of a toss up which will be better for you.

Edited by johncho
  • Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 4:29 PM, RichMan said:

I'm back and need some quick advice on 2 vehicles. So any mechanics here that can take a moment to look up these links on Kijiji and let me know if either are worth it. Thanks in advance...

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/gatineau/nissan-murano-2005/1661794878

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/gatineau/2008-subaru-outback/1649949750

I don't crap about either vehicle.

My friend had a Murano. The sloped rear glass killed any room in the rear for carrying stuff. The floor was large enough but once you closed the rear hatch. 

As a square as heck Jeep guy, this was frustrating with her Murano.

Space behind the rear seats? | Nissan Murano Forum

Looks big, right? Look how tight the roof is to the backseat.

Car Style Critic: Nissan Murano's Three Generations

Edited by MTH
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/16/2023 at 1:04 PM, RichMan said:

Just to let you know that I passed on both vehicles. Still searching. Not easy to find reliable wheels for under 5000$, especially a compact pickup that doesn't date from the late 90s lolll.

I'm in the same window as you, Rich. Dealing with house mortgage here and I need to drop off all loans. So I'm looking to trade in my newer GMC Sierra for something straight up.

I was looking at the problematic Jeep Commander or a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Commander is cool looking as it's square and kinda luxury. But it eats gas and is a forgotten Jeep model these days.

For me, the Grand Cherokee seems to be the better fit. Seems like the 2005-2010 ones are about that cheap.

280px-3rd-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee.jpg

6 hours ago, johncho said:

I had a 90s Grand Cherokee and it scared me off of Jeep/Mopar altogether. but I think the next gen 2005~2010 was much better in terms of reliability.

Every car model sold has ones that disappoint people. Stinks. The 90s Grand Cherokee - the ZJ - was ground breaking at the time. But, like all new from scratch models, they are plagued with issues that come up. Later generations typically work those bugs out.

I have a 1995 Wrangler today that I bought new. $12,500! No radio, no ac, no airbags or ABS. Safety? Sure. Still have it today and drive it as much as possible with 250k on it now. I've owned two 4 door wranglers, a 1999 Cherokee (shoe box), and some others.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MTH said:

Every car model sold has ones that disappoint people. Stinks. The 90s Grand Cherokee - the ZJ - was ground breaking at the time. But, like all new from scratch models, they are plagued with issues that come up. Later generations typically work those bugs out.

I have a 1995 Wrangler today that I bought new. $12,500! No radio, no ac, no airbags or ABS. Safety? Sure. Still have it today and drive it as much as possible with 250k on it now. I've owned two 4 door wranglers, a 1999 Cherokee (shoe box), and some others.

This is the truth, I think that and coupled with the fact that the dealer at the time was pretty scummy about warrantied repairs (not just me apparently), it made the brand sour around the area. Having experienced repairing some of the Jeeps over the years, I've come to the conclusion that Jeeps are either lemons that will give you misery or will last till the end of time with basic maintenance.

The older Grand Cherokees are ok because there is a market to keep them going. Some of the other SUVs from that era are pretty much forgotten. Added bonus is that Jeep fans have documented life keeping the Grands on the road so much, that any issue you have - likely there are dozens of videos on YT how to remediate/repair the issue. 

I dig older Monteros or even some of the Range Rover models - but keeping them alive is quite a challenge here in the states.

Look around while you drive and see what is still tooling around on the highways. I still see a ton of the GMC Envoy/ Chevy TrailBlazers around. They're big and drive really nice (I had an 2004 Envoy). Their parts are available too. Not bad considering that GM retired that line in 2009.

280px-06-08_GMC_Envoy.jpg

GM put out over 2 million of the 'GMT 360' line. They also sold these as Buick Rainier, Isuzu Ascender and Saab 9-7X.

280px-Saab_9-7X_--_03-19-2012.JPG

I always dug the Saab one. But the ignition in place of one of the cupholders kinda sucks.

• 2 months later...
On 10/1/2023 at 9:10 AM, johncho said:

@RichMan I know about four guys that own or have owned that truck, they all love that they own it or regret that they no longer own it. 

I didn’t know that the gas consumption was that bad on it though.

I love that it's big enough that I don't feel like I'm riding the asphalt but not so big that it nearly takes up 2 lanes or spaces. A good mid size. The inside is crazy roomy.

As for the gas...it has its days I guess. I've yet to fill it up fool and with the current prices here, I'm pretty conservative.