Cutting a stick in multiple ways

A.YOUNGoalie13

So I have one normal question and one really weird question. The normal one- how much of my handle can I cut off before screwing with the balance? I heard from goalie gear nerd that you can cut off as much as you want. Now the weird question- can I cut down my paddle? Like, can I cut the shoulders an inch shorter to make a 23 a 22? Oh and one other question, can I cut a custom grip on a bauer 3s pro? That is also the stick I would cut the shoulders on

2 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

So I have one normal question and one really weird question. The normal one- how much of my handle can I cut off before screwing with the balance? I heard from goalie gear nerd that you can cut off as much as you want. Now the weird question- can I cut down my paddle? Like, can I cut the shoulders an inch shorter to make a 23 a 22? Oh and one other question, can I cut a custom grip on a bauer 3s pro? That is also the stick I would cut the shoulders on

1st question:

You can cut off as much as you want.  Most of the weight in your stick is going to come from the paddle and blade anyway.  The balance point is not where the paddle meets the shaft.

I personally don't think you should take more than 2-3 inches, and that to me is an aggressive trim.

Longer shaft helps you get more power behind the puck when you shoot (basic physics principle of leverage)
Shorter shaft helps you grab pucks close to/between your feet.  Better control when stickhandling (hands are closer together)

Your 2nd question:

What ever you do, I'd recommend experimenting and practicing on an old stick before committing changes to a new one

1 hour ago, Chenner29 said:

1st question:

You can cut off as much as you want.  Most of the weight in your stick is going to come from the paddle and blade anyway.  The balance point is not where the paddle meets the shaft.

I personally don't think you should take more than 2-3 inches, and that to me is an aggressive trim.

Longer shaft helps you get more power behind the puck when you shoot (basic physics principle of leverage)
Shorter shaft helps you grab pucks close to/between your feet.  Better control when stickhandling (hands are closer together)

There's a point where the shaft can be too long, though. If your top hand is above your shoulder when you're handling the puck then you won't be able to keep that hand below your shoulder when you pass or shoot, and you'll lose power.

• 4 months later...

So ordered some Warriors. Measured my old ones many times but I guess my tape wasn't in exact spot at the heal so I thought size was right turns out 1/2" longer paddle on the new ones.  I'll take one for a spin but feel it will be too long.  Just want to cut 1/2" off.  Have 3 new sticks to do.  Just not sure I should do it.  From what I read 1/2" shouldn't be big issue?  Warrior ritual composite.

Edited by daffy

I've trimmed down 2 V1 Pro+s and they're holding up well.  I've also trimmed two M1 Pro+s and had one snap where the shaft met the paddle the second game in.  That was probably on me for cutting too deep, but I haven't used the second one very much to know (went back to EF4's to match the colors of my Axis pads).   The EF4's have seen the most use since getting the Lundy grip cut in them and they're holding up like a dream.  

Basic common sense stuff:

• Practice on an old stick at least once
  • Use a sharp, fine toothed blade for your cuts
  • Sand your sharp edges lightly
  • Cover the area with epoxy to seal the foam inside the paddle and to protect your blocker from splinters/sharp edges
  • Use sponge tape for comfort and longevity of your blocker glove
  • Measure twice, cut once.  Error on the side of taking too little material. 

If you go slow and are careful I think you'll be OK.   While you're at it you might try shaping the paddle differently.  I never thought I'd like the Lundy grip, but now I couldn't use anything else.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Stick manufacturers should just make trigger grip a standard on their sticks and make no trigger a custom order. 

The Montreal sticks from some years back had the longest shafts I've ever seen.. they seemed really balanced uncut. 

On 5/31/2021 at 5:32 AM, Scythe said:

Stick manufacturers should just make trigger grip a standard on their sticks and make no trigger a custom order. 

The Montreal sticks from some years back had the longest shafts I've ever seen.. they seemed really balanced uncut. 

No they shouldn't lol.  

• Like 1

Final product.  I've got one more to do.  I used marine epoxy that dries white.  It's actually kinda soft to begin with so wasn't too worried about foam tape.  Bought wrong stuff anyway and with my usual tape job I use it feels ok.

PXL_20210609_015635765.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dreadlocked1 said:

Please take and post more pics of the next one!

Will do.  I removed the tape.  Shaft feels like it needs to be trimmed abit.  Going to sand it down alittle.  Will post pics when I get to the next one.  No rush we still locked down around here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2021 at 9:08 PM, dreadlocked1 said:

Please take and post more pics of the next one!

As requested, more pics.  Finished last stick today.

I first measured my cuts.  Then used my multi tool for the cut.  Once the cuts are done, I used the multi tool sanding pad and rounded the shaft abit.  Cleaned up the stick then applied marine epoxy.  Stick is now drying.

PXL_20210619_225141067.MP.jpg

PXL_20210619_225334344.jpg

PXL_20210619_230132473.jpg

PXL_20210619_230426862.jpg

PXL_20210619_231732321.jpg

PXL_20210619_232242611.jpg

PXL_20210619_232957626.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 5/12/2021 at 8:11 AM, Puckstopper said:

I've trimmed down 2 V1 Pro+s and they're holding up well.  I've also trimmed two M1 Pro+s and had one snap where the shaft met the paddle the second game in.  That was probably on me for cutting too deep, but I haven't used the second one very much to know (went back to EF4's to match the colors of my Axis pads).   The EF4's have seen the most use since getting the Lundy grip cut in them and they're holding up like a dream.  

Basic common sense stuff:

• Practice on an old stick at least once
  • Use a sharp, fine toothed blade for your cuts
  • Sand your sharp edges lightly
  • Cover the area with epoxy to seal the foam inside the paddle and to protect your blocker from splinters/sharp edges
  • Use sponge tape for comfort and longevity of your blocker glove
  • Measure twice, cut once.  Error on the side of taking too little material. 

If you go slow and are careful I think you'll be OK.   While you're at it you might try shaping the paddle differently.  I never thought I'd like the Lundy grip, but now I couldn't use anything else.

Quick question as its pertains to pro+. my son was gifted an M1 pro+ 23.5 paddle is good however the shaft is quite long, would you suggest taking 2-3 inches off the shaft?. its quite the expensive stick to just cut lol. thanks in advance.

4 hours ago, katsirakeron said:

Quick question as its pertains to pro+. my son was gifted an M1 pro+ 23.5 paddle is good however the shaft is quite long, would you suggest taking 2-3 inches off the shaft?. its quite the expensive stick to just cut lol. thanks in advance.

Absolutley you could. Check out this video on Carey Price. If you need to add length in the future because he grows I'm sure you can inset a wooden plug into the end.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 8:06 AM, katsirakeron said:

Yep, I've done it on many sticks.  You'll change the balance a little bit, but improve puckhandling.   I use a couple wraps of tape to try to make sure the composite doesn't splinter and weaken the shaft.   I use my miter saw with a fine blade at home, but for liability reasons the shop I work at makes us use a hacksaw.  Both get the job done, but the miter saw is both faster and neater.  

On 6/19/2021 at 8:10 PM, daffy said:

As requested, more pics.  Finished last stick today.

I first measured my cuts.  Then used my multi tool for the cut.  Once the cuts are done, I used the multi tool sanding pad and rounded the shaft abit.  Cleaned up the stick then applied marine epoxy.  Stick is now drying.

PXL_20210619_225141067.MP.jpg

PXL_20210619_225334344.jpg

PXL_20210619_230132473.jpg

PXL_20210619_230426862.jpg

PXL_20210619_231732321.jpg

PXL_20210619_232242611.jpg

PXL_20210619_232957626.jpg

Looks awesome! What’s the purpose of the marine epoxy?

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Do you think the cutting weakened the area, therefore causing the break?

Yeah, I'm kinda thinking it did.  Unfortunately my error ordering wrong height for paddle is gonna cost me. Since I don't see the next two lasting any longer.  I used my second stick in two games and it already sounds different from the first shot I took with it.  I won't be trying to cut a stick down again anytime soon.

• 3 months later...