This Dude Was An NHL Goalie?

MTH

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
On 3/26/2021 at 3:32 PM, Lucky Pucker said:

Yes but is he the villain or the victim? Seems being a goalie in Philly is horrific for the one wearing the pads and mask, more often than not! 

Win the cup. Easy fix to that.

City full of self proclaimed sports experts that never watch any hockey. But they know that "the goalie is the issue."

14 hours ago, MTH said:

Win the cup. Easy fix to that.

City full of self proclaimed sports experts that never watch any hockey. But they know that "the goalie is the issue."

1 hour ago, Mike24 said:

I won’t be surprised if they run Hart out of town.  They did it with BOB. Boucher to a lesser extent.  It’s mind blowing, they never had consistency or allowed it to happen in Philly.  

I was curious so i looked this up.  Philly hasn’t had a starter hold the job for longer than three years since Hextall retired. 

Hart is going into his third year with the team. 

12 hours ago, Mike24 said:

I won’t be surprised if they run Hart out of town.  They did it with BOB. Boucher to a lesser extent.  It’s mind blowing, they never had consistency or allowed it to happen in Philly.  

Selfishly, I kinda hope this happens, maybe Yzerman can lure him to Detroit next year or something. We have basically nothing in the pipeline as far as goalies are concerned.

But it's not like any of the guys who left won anything after. Bob won the Veznia, but so what. Was always knocked out of the playoffs.

Hart is 22. The guys that won the cup the past few seasons are late 20s in age. Most came up and went down before coming up for a few seasons and then winning the cup. Looking at that path, he's still a few seasons away from winning.

I hear ya. I’m saying they are quick to get rid of a young guy before he develops, to see what you truly had in him.  

Bobs prime was wasted in Colombus

Boucher yeah that’s a stretch.  Iwas just always a fan of his . I was pissed when they sent him packing the first of 75 (or was it 76 different times.)

The Flyers are the Dolphins of the NHL. Cant find their next Dan Marino. 

Hart is a RFA after this season. Not that he's likely to roll, especially after this trend, but his contract is up at a very vulnerable time. Stinks for him.

Hopefully he can bounce back. It's part of the normal NHL goalie progression.

Flyers (non) experts will still say Pelle was the last great hope they had in net... Look at Pelle's career almost 40 years ago:

80-81 - Age 21 - Plays for the AHL team. Does well. 

81-82 - Makes the Flyers roster. Gets in 8 games. (2 in November 81 and 5 in March 82) Has rough time. Sent back to AHL mid year. Per his book, questions his skills. Called back late.

82-83 - Now age 23 - Plays in 40 games, makes the All Star Game. All Rookie team. Runner up for Calder and Vezina. Gets smoked in playoffs by the Rangers. Only plays in 3 games (0-3 .788 save and 6.10 GAA) Far from what people talk about.

83-84 - Age 24 - Only plays in 23 games. Coach didn't think he had the right stuff for the NHL. Gets in just 2 games in playoffs against the Caps (one in relief). Saves 10 of 13 shots. Played 26 total minutes.

84-85 - Age 25 - Breakout year. Plays in 65 games. Locked in an All Star, wins Veznia. Lost in finals to Oilers (was splitting time with Froese in Finals)

85-86 - Age 26 - Now a real star in the NHL. Dies in November 85. Played in just 8 games.

As you can see, Pelle wasn't the next Jesus of goalies for the Flyers. He was shaky at times in his first few seasons (like Hart). Had a return to the minors and work his way back (hopefully like Hart) then at age 25, became a star. But Pelle passed while he was on a hot streak there for about a year. We never will know what could have happened from there. 

Personally I could imagine a 5'9" 165 pound goalie having some challenges by the time the 80s ended. Guys like Brett Hull and other absolute gunners were coming into the league. But we'll never know.

I hope Hart can do this. Great kid, great skills. He's all of 22 now. Hopefully the Flyers can let him develop here as they're looking like a lower team in the league for a bit. His past two seasons were actually better than Pelle's. More games, better stats already has 14 playoff games under his belt too. Pelle in his early seasons had just 5 appearances. 

I think Hart is just hitting the normal sophomore slump in a non-normal period in NHL seasons with the pandemic.

14 minutes ago, MTH said:

He's all of 22 now. Hopefully the Flyers can let him develop here as they're looking like a lower team in the league for a bit. His past two seasons were actually better than Pelle's. More games, better stats already has 14 playoff games under his belt too. Pelle in his early seasons had just 5 appearances. 

I think Hart is just hitting the normal sophomore slump in a non-normal period in NHL seasons with the pandemic.

I don't think anyone who knows goalies are saying Hart's going to be a bust. Look at any other goalie that's breaking into the league and see how they were performing at that age. Most of them were barely getting games, let alone the defacto starter.

Kid will be fine. Only reason he's getting so much focus about his play is because of the expectation and past history of his success. He's still the correct guy for the Flyers moving forward

11 hours ago, Mike24 said:

What were his pads?  I remember him having pads with a big “S”on them. 

GTFO. Perma ban from any goalie gear boards...

They were Pete Smith pads that he was making up. Pete was behind the Cooper GM-Pro pads

This date in Philadelphia Flyers history: Ken Wregget stymies the Penguins,  and Daniel Briere scores twice in OT - Broad Street Hockey

then was making his own stuff like these. Before helping Vaughn make the Velocity pads. He worked with Vic too (Tom wore Vic gear there for a bit):

Most Ahead of its Time - Gear - THE GOAL[ie] NET[work]

These were simply early on flat faced pads. They were courdra faced - so they looked pretty dirty. Barrasso was stand up, so the nylon faced pads were good for him for weight savings.

This was also the time that the Aero-Flex pads were popular.

Image012017194706-000.jpg

Non-leather faced. Foam filled. The revolution was starting!

2 hours ago, MTH said:

GTFO. Perma ban from any goalie gear boards...

They were Pete Smith pads that he was making up. Pete was behind the Cooper GM-Pro pads

This date in Philadelphia Flyers history: Ken Wregget stymies the Penguins,  and Daniel Briere scores twice in OT - Broad Street Hockey

then was making his own stuff like these. Before helping Vaughn make the Velocity pads. He worked with Vic too (Tom wore Vic gear there for a bit):

Most Ahead of its Time - Gear - THE GOAL[ie] NET[work]

These were simply early on flat faced pads. They were courdra faced - so they looked pretty dirty. Barrasso was stand up, so the nylon faced pads were good for him for weight savings.

This was also the time that the Aero-Flex pads were popular.

Image012017194706-000.jpg

Non-leather faced. Foam filled. The revolution was starting!

I’ve got a HHOF book on goalies that has a few great close up pics of Lemelin’s Calgary set from 86-87(!) and also Puppa’s from 92-93. Doesn’t really come through here, but you can see the texture in the book.

image.jpg

image.jpg

...back on topic, I remembered a pic of a Jets goalie that was just tremendous - but didn’t know his name. Went looking (turns out it was Lindsay Middlebroom) and found that the old Jets are a treasure trove for this thread! 
Also threw in a Doug Soeteart - not because of him, per se, but for the ridiculous pose he was forced to strike

57C3CE27-60EA-4F89-B33D-CABD12FC6E63.jpeg

18C55568-98EE-4893-887F-4EA6481B629A.jpeg

784A71C5-2FB6-4C57-8867-169013A2B1D1.jpeg

20C1588A-62B9-4545-850B-104128259EBF.jpeg

Archived