This Dude Was An NHL Goalie?

MTH

Watching old games during the corona virus shutdown, my kids would laugh at the appearance of old goalies from the day.

Looking at these guys now - you too have to shake your head and say "This dude was an NHL goalie?".

Here are some gems:

Don Edwards:

Don Edwards (1985-86) | Hockey goalie, Toronto maple leafs, Toronto maple

Looks like when my kids would play house league and they would take turns playing goalie.

Bob Suave too:

Chicago Blackhawks goaltending history : Bob Sauve

"Coach said it's my turn today"

Gump Worsley:

Gump Worsley Minnesota North Stars Autographed 8x10 Photo - NHL Auctions

"Mom. grandpa wants to play goalie again. Make him stop."

Robbie Moore:

Player Robbie Moore of the Philadelphia Flyers And Player Robbie... News  Photo - Getty Images

He's 5' 5". Think about that. My son's PW goalie is about that tall. Yet, NHL player with serious gear swag.

TT:

Tim Thomas - Tim Thomas Photos - Florida Panthers v New York Islanders -  Zimbio

The question isn't what is Tim Thomas wearing... it's what isn't he wearing. Dude tried every gear out there while in the NHL. Every beer league goalies dream.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MTH said:

Tim Thomas - Tim Thomas Photos - Florida Panthers v New York Islanders -  Zimbio

The question isn't what is Tim Thomas wearing... it's what isn't he wearing. Dude tried every gear out there while in the NHL. Every beer league goalies dream.

TT was the embodiment of a Beer League goalie playing it in the big leagues. Next closest would be Khudobin.

Khudobin just needs to adopt the mix matched gear

29 minutes ago, dualshowman said:

In every photo I have seen, I swear that Don Edwards was 100% committed to looking like he's stepping on the ice for the first time. Film or video, though, he gets the benefit of the doubt, but boy does he look helpless in still-frame. 

Maybe it’s because he has zero clearance for his pads. They come down around his skates and almost touch the ice on either side. 

12 hours ago, MTH said:

Hasek in the day wore tiny gear and looked like another guy who just threw some pads on and jumped on the pond..

I couldn't imagine that Hasek weighed anymore than 150-155 lb. when he was with the Hawks. He's one of the those guys that made a track suit look like a parachute.

• Like 3

On 1/5/2021 at 6:08 AM, MTH said:

Andy Brown - last goalie to not wear a mask in the NHL while with the Penguins. Also played in the WHA with a bare face.

Andy Brown | Goalie, Goalie mask, Pittsburgh penguins goalies

This is why I am so glad I started in net after masks were mandatory. I can only imagine what kind of strange faces I make as the play goes on or during a save...

Edited by Colander

2 hours ago, Colander said:

This is why I am so glad I started in net after masks were mandatory. I can only imagine what kind of strange faces I make as the play goes on or during a save...

Great point. Plus, having to comb your hair after getting your gear on had to be part of the routine.

4 minutes ago, MTH said:

Great point. Plus, having to comb your hair after getting your gear on had to be part of the routine.

That's why God invented Brylcreem. Anyone under 50 may have to look that one up - unless it has remade a resurgence and is now called a "product"