G4 pro vs g5 sr

kyledjean

Debating going g4 pro over g5sr. Anyone have any pros and cons of each? The internals should be the same correct? Will the G5’s have hypercomp? Got a used pair of G4 sr’s and looking to get a new pair after liking them so much. Currently also wearing 2xpro’s.

get the g5,  g4 was not a good model,  the inner and outer leg flap are diff in the g4 vs g3 and g5, which are similar.  no lacing on the face of the g5, stiffer knee blocks on g5 and better redesign.  5 hole foam is hard not soft like g4.  g4 double break, g5 single break, internal.

anything else u can read the marketing material

Thanks guys. I have definitely read all the reviews from the big boys. Was more wondering personal experience. I have been playing in 2xpros for about a month or more and found a pair of G4’s for cheap on sideline. Couldn’t resist not getting them since I have wanted to try them for a couple years. Tried them out in a game and loved them. Since they were super beat up and ripped was looking to pick up a new/er pair. But wasn’t sure if I should just go g5. I do follow thegoalnet’s YouTube, hockeyreviews, the hockey shop, and ingoal’s. 

If you like G4 be warned G5 will feel very different. The leg pads feel nothing alike for better or for worse when playing in them. G5 Sr maybe be stiffer at first but it will break down so much quicker than G4 pro. Both are true single break pads. I don’t care how many videos y’all claim to have watched I have used both G4 pro and G5 sr on the ice for several months each. 

Interesting, given that you're not that big a guy.   How many hours a week are you putting on the pads?   I don't have any experience with the G4 Pro or G5 Senior (I have GT2 and G5 Pro) but a good friend bought a set of G5 Sr+ pads sometime last spring and they're holding up beautifully for him.  Admittedly, he's just playing 2-3 hours per week of beer league, but I've been really impressed with how well the G5's have done for him.

I guess that's another question:  Do you think the G4's kept their stiffness better because you were lighter?

Also, could you expand on the difference in how the G4 and G5 feel different playing in them?   Sorry to pepper you with questions, but the one thing I was really impressed with when moving from the GT2 line to the G5 was how easy and natural the transition was.  Again, I've got no experience  with the G4 line, so I'm genuinely curious about the differences.   I'm theorizing that the G4 felt stiffer in the boot, given that one of the biggest talking points of the G5 was the softer boot.

11 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

Interesting, given that you're not that big a guy.   How many hours a week are you putting on the pads?   I don't have any experience with the G4 Pro or G5 Senior (I have GT2 and G5 Pro) but a good friend bought a set of G5 Sr+ pads sometime last spring and they're holding up beautifully for him.  Admittedly, he's just playing 2-3 hours per week of beer league, but I've been really impressed with how well the G5's have done for him.

I guess that's another question:  Do you think the G4's kept their stiffness better because you were lighter?

Also, could you expand on the difference in how the G4 and G5 feel different playing in them?   Sorry to pepper you with questions, but the one thing I was really impressed with when moving from the GT2 line to the G5 was how easy and natural the transition was.  Again, I've got no experience  with the G4 line, so I'm genuinely curious about the differences.   I'm theorizing that the G4 felt stiffer in the boot, given that one of the biggest talking points of the G5 was the softer boot.

I rarely bend my leg pads so G5 softening was definitely a surprise. When I had G5 and G4 I was on the ice every day for 1-2 hours each day. I believe the reason most of my leg pads stay stiff isn’t just because I’m lighter but because I don’t ever lean on them. I like my leg pads straight as boards. I used the same set of prolaces on G4 and G5 as well as had them strapped the exact same way but I never felt like I was moving easily in them every movement felt more forced than normal. Maybe I had them too tight who knows. G5 also seemed to lack rebound velocity compared to G4 which could be due to G4’s tighter laced in face. Currently using a 2s pro set that feels more like home than the G5 set ever did (used to be a big premier guy so I guess that makes sense)

Edited by ThatCarGuy

All the bells and whistles aside, contrary to all the other Ritual models (G and GT), the G5 is the only one (that I'm aware of) that doesn't have a drop tab for either a traditional lace toe tie or bungee type set-up. Is it noticeable to the performance of the pad as in rotation or pad reset or ankle torque or all that stuff? 

• 2 months later...
On 3/23/2021 at 8:28 AM, RichMan said:

All the bells and whistles aside, contrary to all the other Ritual models (G and GT), the G5 is the only one (that I'm aware of) that doesn't have a drop tab for either a traditional lace toe tie or bungee type set-up. Is it noticeable to the performance of the pad as in rotation or pad reset or ankle torque or all that stuff? 

I have G5 Pro pads with ProLaces (TGN spec) and they work fine haven’t had issues. It’s a PIA to thread things through but it works as well as it did with the G4 Pro pads I had before. I haven’t noticed major softening issues but I got mine custom with the extra stiff thigh rise option. 

Edited by benner33
The thigh rise softened on my G4s that plus the airslide stitching issue was my biggest complaint

• 5 months later...
On 5/26/2021 at 10:10 PM, benner33 said:

I have G5 Pro pads with ProLaces (TGN spec) and they work fine haven’t had issues. It’s a PIA to thread things through but it works as well as it did with the G4 Pro pads I had before. I haven’t noticed major softening issues but I got mine custom with the extra stiff thigh rise option. 

Hey, got a pic of how you did it?