Vaughn V9 full set - initial impressions and long-term review

AdamL

On 5/28/2021 at 3:53 PM, seagoal said:

Ha, no.  I didn't say pictures.  But I did in my mind scream: "PICS or it never happened!!!!!"

I just called to inquire about shipping outlook.  They refuse to give tracking numbers so I like to know when to expect stuff so I don't have giant boxes sitting on my front porch for too long.

But seriously, it was VERY difficult to not ask for pics.  It'd be really neat to see my blocker colors and pieces all disconnected and layed out and see my pad fragments being sewn.  I feel like I'm a bit pushy of a customers with them as is and I didn't want to push my luck.

Oh.......ask for Scott, he's the best.  Super friendly, always willing to chat and answer questions, and he discloses a lot of insider info if you ask and get him talking.  We had a whole conversation about how the Kraken need to get a Vaughn goalie :)

Ahh gotcha. That’s understandable... oddly enough now that I realize it I remember vaughn posting a snapshot of my old blocker being made on their story, was pretty cool. And I’ll be sure to ask for Scott if I have any of those questions :)

Edited by southpawtendy48

Well, if anyone is interested in this set let me know.  Not 100% sure just yet, but unless or until I have hip surgery my days in net might be over.

I’d had some mild left hip pain for a couple years, but early in 2020 I started incorporating a couple exercises into my workouts that involved really deep A2G squat positions, which aggravated the condition. I went to see a physio and got an MRI on both hips and it turns out I have cam impingements and torn labrums on both sides.  I went all-in on non-surgical remedies - I did Strategic Mobility for Goalies 2x through, joined the shutout academy, and have been diligent with those workouts for the last few months.  But midway through my second game back there was a broken play, where the pass was going from the left corner below the goal line to the low slot on the ride slide, so I began a slide to meet the shot to my right.  The pass was deflected, and landed right on the tape of another player low on the short side.  I didn’t have time to plant and move back to my left, so I stopped my momentum and extended my left leg and reached back at the same time, and in that moment my hip let me know it was very unhappy with being put in that position, despite Maria’s training putting you in those kinds of positions regularly.

Anyway, three days later and that hip is still sore, and that’s probably all I need to know about whether I should be continuing to play.  I’m beyond disappointed, after all of the work I’ve put in and all of the improvements I’ve made in strength and mobility, to be feeling this kind of lingering pain after two games back.

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, AdamL said:

Well, if anyone is interested in this set let me know.  Not 100% sure just yet, but unless or until I have hip surgery my days in net might be over.

I’d had some mild left hip pain for a couple years, but early in 2020 I started incorporating a couple exercises into my workouts that involved really deep A2G squat positions, which aggravated the condition. I went to see a physio and got an MRI on both hips and it turns out I have cam impingements and torn labrums on both sides.  I went all-in on non-surgical remedies - I did Strategic Mobility for Goalies 2x through, joined the shutout academy, and have been diligent with those workouts for the last few months.  But midway through my second game back there was a broken play, where the pass was going from the left corner below the goal line to the low slot on the ride slide, so I began a slide to meet the shot to my right.  The pass was deflected, and landed right on the tape of another player low on the short side.  I didn’t have time to plant and move back to my left, so I stopped my momentum and extended my left leg and reached back at the same time, and in that moment my hip let me know it was very unhappy with being put in that position, despite Maria’s training putting you in those kinds of positions regularly.

Anyway, three days later and that hip is still sore, and that’s probably all I need to know about whether I should be continuing to play.  I’m beyond disappointed, after all of the work I’ve put in and all of the improvements I’ve made in strength and mobility, to be feeling this kind of lingering pain after two games back.

Man - I feel devastated for you! I can’t imagine… Not sure of the injury (I’m not a doctor; I just play one on TV) but any chance that if you can’t return to the crease, you could still play out as a skater? Most rec teams I know would take an ex-goalie over a life long skater any day; we’re like wicked smaht as playahs 🙂

16 minutes ago, AdamL said:

Ah man that blows.  Are you now leaning towards surgical?  I am unsure of your age but if you are leaning towards surgery just keep the gear and hope to make a comeback when healthy again.  Talk to @BadAngle41, he had a hip issue surgically repaired and is still kicking now.

56 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Man - I feel devastated for you! I can’t imagine… Not sure of the injury (I’m not a doctor; I just play one on TV) but any chance that if you can’t return to the crease, you could still play out as a skater? Most rec teams I know would take an ex-goalie over a life long skater any day; we’re like wicked smaht as playahs 🙂

I'd definitely plan on playing out.  99% of the time I have no hip issues, except seemingly when I play goal.  I can run, jump, cut, bike, lift, etc., I just can't do the internal rotation + flexion that the butterfly position and RVH and such require.  

45 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Ah man that blows.  Are you now leaning towards surgical?  I am unsure of your age but if you are leaning towards surgery just keep the gear and hope to make a comeback when healthy again.  Talk to @BadAngle41, he had a hip issue surgically repaired and is still kicking now.

I'm 34 now, and I'm definitely leaning toward surgery now before playing another game in goal.  I don't plan on having surgery within the next couple years, though.  I have 14 month old twins and a nearly 3 year old son, and I can't be laid up in bed or taking all of my free time doing rehab - my family needs me.  It's hard enough finding an hour nearly every day to do the mobility drills and other workouts in the shutout academy programming.  I'll give it a couple more days and if I feel back to 100% I might give it another go, but I'm assuming I'll be playing out for the next 2,3,4 years and then evaluating surgical options.  

8 minutes ago, AdamL said:

I'm 34 now, and I'm definitely leaning toward surgery now before playing another game in goal.  I don't plan on having surgery within the next couple years, though.  I have 14 month old twins and a nearly 3 year old son, and I can't be laid up in bed or taking all of my free time doing rehab - my family needs me.  It's hard enough finding an hour nearly every day to do the mobility drills and other workouts in the shutout academy programming.  I'll give it a couple more days and if I feel back to 100% I might give it another go, but I'm assuming I'll be playing out for the next 2,3,4 years and then evaluating surgical options.  

Ahhh ok.  Yea that makes sense.  I have two myself so I know the effort it takes.  God bless having twins too, I could not imagine lol.  Whatever happens, I hope it works out for you, Adam!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Ahhh ok.  Yea that makes sense.  I have two myself so I know the effort it takes.  God bless having twins too, I could not imagine lol.  Whatever happens, I hope it works out for you, Adam!

I also have two (7 and 9) - it gets to be pretty awesome! And your work ethic at 34 is waaaay ahead of where I was at that age; I still deluded myself into thinking that I was invincible (read: could ignore injuries until they healed themselves). The health benefits - mental and physical- of your workout routine will be paying dividends regardless.

hang in there @AdamL - you’ve got this! 👍🏼

• Like 2

Heartbreaking @AdamL, sorry to hear this man.  Your beautiful new set aside, this is tough.  Wishing you the best man.  Stay focused and strong and you'll get through it, just be patient.  

Playing goalie is such an awkward, violent thing we do to our bodies.  More and more we have to think of things we do on and off the ice that allow us to perform well as goalies and it sounds you are on that path, so hang in there buddy.

Don't be a stranger on here, either. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Heartbreaking @AdamL, sorry to hear this man.  Your beautiful new set aside, this is tough.  Wishing you the best man.  Stay focused and strong and you'll get through it, just be patient.  

Playing goalie is such an awkward, violent thing we do to our bodies.  More and more we have to think of things we do on and off the ice that allow us to perform well as goalies and it sounds you are on that path, so hang in there buddy.

Don't be a stranger on here, either. 

Yes, this!!!  Even if you move on to become a peasant forward you're always welcome to hang here.  You'll always be a goalie to us 🍻

• Like 2

First I just wanted to come back and thank you all for the kind words.  It's nice to have some other goaltenders who are familiar with the physical stresses of the position and stories like these to offer some words of encouragement.  I think my wife sees me doing all of these other physical things and looking healthy, and just can't understand why playing goal is so different.  

6 days out and the hips are still cranky, though.  Not sticky or immobile, it's just a nearly constant, dull, 1 out of 10 pain.  Frankly it feels different than anything I've ever felt before, I was always pain-free unless I hit that range of motion where I was getting some impingement.  That has me a bit worried, honestly.  I'm heading back to the physical therapist next week, so hopefully at least during my off-ice physical activities I can get back to 100%.  She specializes in helping ballet dancers, who are probably one of the only other populations who put their hips through stresses equal to goaltenders, and combines the manual therapies with dry needling and Pilates.  She's fantastic.

I've also scheduled a virtual appointment with the Steadman Clinic, where Dr. Mark Philippon works, who if you read around has done arthroscopic hip surgery on a lot of NHL and other high level goaltenders.  If those guys trust him, I can too.  I'm mostly curious to hear about rehab times and processes, have them look at my MRI to see if they can tell how bad it is, that sort of thing.  If they think it's better to do it earlier, I might just find a way to get out there and get these things cleaned up.

For what may be an exit interview for the V9s, I can summarize by saying the pads are fantastic.  My biggest problem the first time out was the quickslide, so I did a second pass scuffing up the crease to start the game and had zero issues from the first drop.  Related to that, though, I noticed basically zero drop-off in how they slid from the beginning of the game to the end, which is quite a different experience from playing with the older style Lefevre pads with the rounded roll. 

I think if I had to do it all over again I'd be really torn as to whether or not I'd keep the stiff upper and stock boot flex combo versus going with a softer build and doing the stock thigh rise and soft boot.  It's not that I can't play in these, but for me I'm not sure if the benefits of the stiffer thigh rise outweigh the mobility I might gain if I had a slightly softer build.  We're talking degrees here, not a night and day sort of difference, but I'm used to softer pads and these are definitely not.  That said, by the middle of that last game my skating amazingly felt back to 100%, and I perceived zero mobility issues in these, despite being taller and stiffer than any pad I've worn before.  

From someone who hasn't actually worn much else that's on the market today, I think the build I did most closely compares to the 12.2.  Aside from maybe weight I can't imagine my V9s are missing anything those pads bring to the table, and these have the benefit of Quickslide.  The thigh rise is solid, they seal beautifully and are stable on the ice, offer stellar mobility, and Vaughn's professor strap approach is second to nobody, IMO, if you like that secure feel.  No real updates on the glove or blocker.  Both are traditional Vaughn, and both are stellar.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AdamL said:

First I just wanted to come back and thank you all for the kind words.  It's nice to have some other goaltenders who are familiar with the physical stresses of the position and stories like these to offer some words of encouragement.  I think my wife sees me doing all of these other physical things and looking healthy, and just can't understand why playing goal is so different.  

6 days out and the hips are still cranky, though.  Not sticky or immobile, it's just a nearly constant, dull, 1 out of 10 pain.  Frankly it feels different than anything I've ever felt before, I was always pain-free unless I hit that range of motion where I was getting some impingement.  That has me a bit worried, honestly.  I'm heading back to the physical therapist next week, so hopefully at least during my off-ice physical activities I can get back to 100%.  She specializes in helping ballet dancers, who are probably one of the only other populations who put their hips through stresses equal to goaltenders, and combines the manual therapies with dry needling and Pilates.  She's fantastic.

I've also scheduled a virtual appointment with the Steadman Clinic, where Dr. Mark Philippon works, who if you read around has done arthroscopic hip surgery on a lot of NHL and other high level goaltenders.  If those guys trust him, I can too.  I'm mostly curious to hear about rehab times and processes, have them look at my MRI to see if they can tell how bad it is, that sort of thing.  If they think it's better to do it earlier, I might just find a way to get out there and get these things cleaned up.

For what may be an exit interview for the V9s, I can summarize by saying the pads are fantastic.  My biggest problem the first time out was the quickslide, so I did a second pass scuffing up the crease to start the game and had zero issues from the first drop.  Related to that, though, I noticed basically zero drop-off in how they slid from the beginning of the game to the end, which is quite a different experience from playing with the older style Lefevre pads with the rounded roll. 

I think if I had to do it all over again I'd be really torn as to whether or not I'd keep the stiff upper and stock boot flex combo versus going with a softer build and doing the stock thigh rise and soft boot.  It's not that I can't play in these, but for me I'm not sure if the benefits of the stiffer thigh rise outweigh the mobility I might gain if I had a slightly softer build.  We're talking degrees here, not a night and day sort of difference, but I'm used to softer pads and these are definitely not.  That said, by the middle of that last game my skating amazingly felt back to 100%, and I perceived zero mobility issues in these, despite being taller and stiffer than any pad I've worn before.  

From someone who hasn't actually worn much else that's on the market today, I think the build I did most closely compares to the 12.2.  Aside from maybe weight I can't imagine my V9s are missing anything those pads bring to the table, and these have the benefit of Quickslide.  The thigh rise is solid, they seal beautifully and are stable on the ice, offer stellar mobility, and Vaughn's professor strap approach is second to nobody, IMO, if you like that secure feel.  No real updates on the glove or blocker.  Both are traditional Vaughn, and both are stellar.  

I admire your positive outlook, man.  Wishing you the best.  If this were real life I'd give you a hug, crack a beer together, and talk about those V9s :)

Seems like you are moving swiftly to take care of this which is great.  Way too often as goalie or athletes in general we ignore "tweaks" to our bodies and as I hear Maria Mountain say several times, stop fooling yourselves. "Tweaks" are injuries and should be respected and dealt with.  So kudos to you for taking it seriously and moving forward.

Question: are you noticing any improvements in how it feels from anything like ibuprofin or other anti-inflammatory drugs?  I have one that works great for me.  I was prescribed it years from whatever "tweak" to my hip or groin and I found that my body responds to it very well.  Most recently I got some from a shoulder "tweak" caused by my asshole adolescent dog.  It's called diclofenac sodium.  If you are interested in any anti-inflammatory drugs, I recommend you ask your doctor about it.  It does require a prescription to get.  My body responds very well to it, maybe yours might too.

I'm not sure about your age, but I find it hilarious in locker rooms with older players, like in their  40s, 50s, and 60s, when guys are tossing bottles of ibuprofin across the room and it smells like Ben-gay and Icy-hot, also being tossed around the room.  The joys of aging, ha.

• Like 1

Thanks, I'll crack a beer for us in spirit and mumble to myself about my gear.  😆

On the anti-inflammatory front, I haven't tried any this time around, but generally I don't find success with them unless it's to knock down a fever.  This is just my approach, but even if my body did respond better to them I'm generally not in favor of taking those kinds of medications as I'd rather feel what my body is trying to tell me.

I'm 34 quickly closing in on 35, which isn't super old but definitely old enough to have the miles on my hips.  Otherwise I feel just about as fit and athletic as ever, though.  I played pickup games for several years with a group of older guys, mostly 40s and 50s but a few in their 60s, and it was a ton of fun!  It might not be in net, but hopefully I'll be out there at those ages too. 👍

Edited by AdamL

5 minutes ago, AdamL said:

Thanks, I'll crack a beer for us in spirit and mumble to myself about my gear.  😆

On the anti-inflammatory front, I haven't tried any this time around, but generally I don't find success with them unless it's to knock down a fever.  This is just my approach, but even if my body did respond better to them I'm generally not in favor of taking those kinds of medications as I'd rather feel what my body is trying to tell me.

I'm 34 quickly closing in on 35, which isn't super old but definitely old enough to have the miles on my hips.  Otherwise I feel just about as fit and athletic as ever, though.  I played pickup games for several years with a group of older guys, mostly 40s and 50s but a few in their 60s, and it was a ton of fun!  It might not be in net, but hopefully I'll be out there at those ages too. 👍

Right on, fair enough on the anti-inflammatory.

I definitely relate to the bold highlight part.  I'm 40 but feel as strong and fit and fast and athletic as I ever have in goal.  I played pick-up last night and played really well and felt great the whole 90 minutes.  I think part of it too is since playing goal since I was 12 or 13 years old I feel like I understand the position in a more cerebral sense and I have gained the wisdom and discipline to play smarter and more efficiently.  I relied on my athleticism and reactivity way too much in my younger days and for too long I was too inefficient and wasteful with my energy.  I need to conserve more now and that has changed my approach for the better.  I'm moving up 3 divisions this summer so it's paying off and is really fun now.  I just need to pay really close attention to my body now and take extra care for it's durability and functionality.

16 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Right on, fair enough on the anti-inflammatory.

I definitely relate to the bold highlight part.  I'm 40 but feel as strong and fit and fast and athletic as I ever have in goal.  I played pick-up last night and played really well and felt great the whole 90 minutes.  I think part of it too is since playing goal since I was 12 or 13 years old I feel like I understand the position in a more cerebral sense and I have gained the wisdom and discipline to play smarter and more efficiently.  I relied on my athleticism and reactivity way too much in my younger days and for too long I was too inefficient and wasteful with my energy.  I need to conserve more now and that has changed my approach for the better.  I'm moving up 3 divisions this summer so it's paying off and is really fun now.  I just need to pay really close attention to my body now and take extra care for it's durability and functionality.

I was getting there.  I'm 5'10" and was always one of those old-school, heels 12" outside the crease, kill-em-with-quickness kinds of goaltenders.  I made up for a lack of actual goaltending talent with honestly pretty elite skating, and I was a total rubber band in my teenage year and early 20s and relied on that to save me in situations where I had a lot of ground to cover.  I play a more reserved style now, but in those scrambles like the one where I got hurt, my brain still seems to think I can do the things I did during my high school and college days, and tries to put limbs in front of pucks to make stops I don't really have any business making.

I went to a couple public skates while I was doing all of my rehab and felt 0 pain.  I was using the boards as my post for entries and exits, skating all over the crease, dropping into extended saves from a standing position - all of it felt totally fine.  But it was in that moment where instinct kicked in and I tried to get something, anything, in front of that puck, that I got hurt.  And that's the problem.  I can play under control the vast majority of the time, but I'm not confident I won't try to battle and do something stupid again even if I get back to a point where I'm pain free.  There's real damage in there, and it's just not worth the risk anymore.

I was getting there.  I'm 5'10" and was always one of those old-school, heels 12" outside the crease, kill-em-with-quickness kinds of goaltenders.  I made up for a lack of actual goaltending talent with honestly pretty elite skating, and I was a total rubber band in my teenage year and early 20s and relied on that to save me in situations where I had a lot of ground to cover.  I play a more reserved style now, but in those scrambles like the one where I got hurt, my brain still seems to think I can do the things I did during my high school and college days, and tries to put limbs in front of pucks to make stops I don't really have any business making.

I went to a couple public skates while I was doing all of my rehab and felt 0 pain.  I was using the boards as my post for entries and exits, skating all over the crease, dropping into extended saves from a standing position - all of it felt totally fine.  But it was in that moment where instinct kicked in and I tried to get something, anything, in front of that puck, that I got hurt.  And that's the problem.  I can play under control the vast majority of the time, but I'm not confident I won't try to battle and do something stupid again even if I get back to a point where I'm pain free.  There's real damage in there, and it's just not worth the risk anymore.

Same, yep.  I'm 5'10 too, 172 lbs.  Similar weight for you too?

On 6/9/2021 at 1:49 PM, AdamL said:

Sorry to hear about the hips. Oddly my issue is the opposite... I can do internal rotation all day... butterfly etc is fine... it's external that is awful. So opening up for a good t-push is less than textbook. But is what it is. I've had to adjust a bit to accommodate the issues (even post surgery)... more patient on my feet... more shuffles. But it works. Totally understand what you're feeling though. Not cringing pain all the time... but never really goes away.

I have about 10 years on you... but also with a set of twins that keep my wife and I running around. At some point the pain will win... I'll have to get replacements... and probably hang them up for something less stressful on all the joints from the waist down. Father time remains undefeated.

55 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Sorry to hear about the hips. Oddly my issue is the opposite... I can do internal rotation all day... butterfly etc is fine... it's external that is awful. So opening up for a good t-push is less than textbook. But is what it is. I've had to adjust a bit to accommodate the issues (even post surgery)... more patient on my feet... more shuffles. But it works. Totally understand what you're feeling though. Not cringing pain all the time... but never really goes away.

I have about 10 years on you... but also with a set of twins that keep my wife and I running around. At some point the pain will win... I'll have to get replacements... and probably hang them up for something less stressful on all the joints from the waist down. Father time remains undefeated.

Yeah, it all depends what direction your acetabulums face.  Mine point pretty sideways, so even now I'm able to get into the splits once I'm warmed up.  I have external rotation for days, and in the Pilates classes I've taken each and every instructor has mentioned that I have as much external range of motion as basically anyone they've ever had in class.  But the consequence of that is my range of motion internally stinks, and years of jamming my femur inward against a hip socket that just isn't compatible with playing a butterfly style has taken its toll.  

My hips are all but pain free now, and are trying to trick me into playing again on Thursday.  That little devil on my shoulder is trying to get me to play this week, but I know I shouldn't.  But damn, it's hard to give it up. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have one more note for people who are considering some Vaughn gear, specifically regarding the glove.  I have little baby hands that are ~7.25" from the heel to the tip of my middle finger.  I've always used senior palms in the past and never had an issue, but I am with this glove.  It feels like I need to deliberately pull my hand out a bit so that the break moves closer my fingers, or I have a really hard time closing the thing.  Based on my experience, if your hands are 7.5" or under, I'd probably go with the intermediate palm with this glove.  No problems with the blocker, though.

Edited by AdamL

I have one more note for people who are considering some Vaughn gear, specifically regarding the glove.  I have little baby hands that are ~7.25" from the heel to the tip of my middle finger.  I've always used senior palms in the past and never had an issue, but I am with this glove.  It feels like I need to deliberately pull my hand out a bit so that the break moves closer my fingers, or I have a really hard time closing the thing.  Based on my experience, if your hands are 7.5" or under, I'd probably go with the intermediate palm with this glove.  No problems with the blocker, though.

TIL I have little baby hands.