Show off your Bicycle

bunnyman666

4 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I have an addiction to things two wheeled. I just got this 29” BMX. She’s not quite finished, as a new set of wheels are coming.

1C97AC44-2AB6-42D6-93E7-225EAB2FB2A6.jpeg

8706BF17-D8C1-4564-BCAE-5BE97870CA3C.jpeg

69A6C775-D750-41CD-A100-7BDB0527FCD1.jpeg

AA7474E2-AB66-40D0-ACBE-C525DB8C1A7A.jpeg

Rad ride. What frame is that? It's like a single speed MTB had a baby with a cruiser. The front side pull brake has me scratching my head.

Edited by MTH

49 minutes ago, MTH said:

Rad ride. What frame is that? It's like a single speed MTB had a baby with a cruiser. The front side pull brake has me scratching my head.

Crew bikes Defender. The side pull is definitely weird. And the stock pads suck. Put on some Scott Matthauser pads and that should make it stop better. It is a weird ride, for certain!

That's really nice. My kids don't use the PK. We have a stable with blocks, maniac, so cals, and big rippers only.

The 20" wheeled rides are "for little kids" per my boys.

I have a 86 Dyno Compe 2 in the basement. Lavender. In pieces that I need to assemble one day. I got it new for christmas in 1986. I sadly traded the OGK wheels in the day for spokes as I thought they were cooler looking. OGK mags are impossible to find now along with the GT white tires. But I have the rest. My original Odyssey Gyro is missing parts. I'll likely have to source a new one.

This is what it should look like when done.

1986 Dyno Compe II | Vintage bmx bikes, Bmx bicycle, Bmx bikes

I also have a GT Jr. Performer that was my little brothers. It's been used and abused, so it's not show quality:

1986 GT JR Performer 16 - BMXmuseum.com

It's mostly original, just a lot of scratches and all from being ridden like hell when it was new. My dad actually attached training wheels on it for my little brother. Sweet training wheel bike for sure.

Edited by MTH
  • Thanks 1

@MTH Got super tired of the choice of super-squealing brakes that got peoples’ attention or crummy braking. When I unpacked the wheels today, I saw disc brake bosses on the wheels. Guess what?!? New fork and a nice disc brake will do nicely. Just one on the front. Being an old motorcycle guy, I rarely use the rear brakes unless I want to do some dirt drifting. I am a gravel at the most guy these days. So a nice Cro-mo fork with disc brake bosses will do fine. Amazon will get it to me quicker than my LBS. I will have to wait for the fork to come before installing the new hoops. 

You wheelie that? Digging the pegs.

My kids burn through disc brake pads. Squealing gets old. Heck, this summer I think my kids killed over 2 dozen tubes. They rode a crap load. No complaints. They learned how to change tubes and all.

4 hours ago, MTH said:

You wheelie that? Digging the pegs.

My kids burn through disc brake pads. Squealing gets old. Heck, this summer I think my kids killed over 2 dozen tubes. They rode a crap load. No complaints. They learned how to change tubes and all.

Sometimes I pull out a wheelie! 

As far as I’m concerned, I’d rather buy a king’s ransom worth of tubes over having kids get into trouble. That sounds like where you are, right?

• Like 1

Yeah. Hard part was during the pandemic, tubes (and all bike stuff) was hard to find. So we were getting good at patching tubes. Never really did that before. Mostly was a waste of time.

I even went with the high end Park Tool patches. No better than the WalMart ones. Sometimes they'd just duct tape patch the tube.

I picked up my kids in so many places with a flat. Adventures are part of being a kid.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, MTH said:

Yeah. Hard part was during the pandemic, tubes (and all bike stuff) was hard to find. So we were getting good at patching tubes. Never really did that before. Mostly was a waste of time.

I even went with the high end Park Tool patches. No better than the WalMart ones. Sometimes they'd just duct tape patch the tube.

I picked up my kids in so many places with a flat. Adventures are part of being a kid.

I only laugh because I became an expert tube patcher. I do digress, as back in my day, you lit up the glue!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2021 at 12:38 PM, creasecollector said:

I'm into road cycling and found it to be an awesome hobby to pickup while I was off the ice last year due to covid restrictions. 

My buddy works at REI (not a real bike shop - i know), they said that bike tubes have been their biggest selling item since the pandemic.

• Like 1