Final year intramural mens over 35 is a gongshow

Dharmaboy

So been playing for about 15 years. Ball hockey goalie who turned to ice. I used to rely on reflexes and covered up my shoddy blocker side. Now at 42, aging aches and pains, eye sight not what i used to be, I am not having fun in my league that I had been playing in for almost a decade. it started out with alot of older guys who were in it for fun. We used to joke around etc but over time as with all "fun" leagues, better players who have no business playing with older men have infiltrated the league and the arms race is a race that my team is losing or has lost. 

We have ex college, WHL and Junior players shooting on me, and with half my team never even played organized hockey, you can see where this is going. 

We had a decent team last year but most of our good players have gone or have got injured. I was close to hanging it up a few years ago but I am finally done. Losing 8-1, 9-1, 7-1, getting shutout a few times. we are 0-10-0, I have a near 6.00 GAA. We barely score more than 1 goal a game. I am usually left high and dry as my team is inexperienced, which is not their fault. 

It's too bad that things have come to this. Shame that it used to be a fun league. But as with all HasBeens and NeverWasses, CouldaWouldaShouldas, they just come in, play rough and take the games too serious. Rack up the scores and just ruin fun evenings.

After this season I walk away. It was a good run. Strictly shinny for me.

Don't think it's too different anywhere. The only barrier to your league is age, and depending on size, they're unable to divy up the teams appropriately by skill.

I think it happens quite a bit everywhere.

I know for my dad's league, they have a large group of players (5-6 teams worth) and each guy is correlated a number based off of their skill level. At the beginning of each season, they draft new teams to try and make each team as fair as possible. They even do trades halfway through the season if things are looking grim for a team.

I get that getting blown out consistently isn't too enjoyable, but could you not look for new team to play with? Low div 19+ league? Different old timers league? 42 is decently young to be hanging 'em up. Hell, why not get the old crew of guys you used to enjoy playing with and form your own "league". Essentially glorified drop in. I know quite a few older guys that do this and swear by it for the same reasons you're thinking of hanging em up; them damn kids ruining your play time.

There's always options out there, no need to hang em up.

Coop, I dont plan on walking away from the game. I love wearing the gear too much right now lol. I am just tired of the league, which was policed well but after the main guy running it retired it was left to the captains and all the captains except for my own want this kind of play. So maybe it's just not for me. 

I will continue to play shinny and my friends 3vs3 mini rink hockey which is a great workout. 

6 minutes ago, Dharmaboy said:

Coop, I dont plan on walking away from the game. I love wearing the gear too much right now lol. I am just tired of the league, which was policed well but after the main guy running it retired it was left to the captains and all the captains except for my own want this kind of play. So maybe it's just not for me. 

I will continue to play shinny and my friends 3vs3 mini rink hockey which is a great workout. 

Ah gotcha. Your OP made it sound like you were quitting the game for good. And that's just unacceptable. :P

I know plenty of guys around here who are good hockey players that don’t play in leagues. They do regular weekly groups where everyone knows everyone else. Less chance for shenanigans such as dirty play or unbalanced league play. There’s no shame in skipping the league if you’re fed up with the current situation. Plus the regular weekly groups usually play on the same night each week and at a more desirable start time. And people hang out after and BS with each other. 

I'm 31, so I'm not one of the old guys in my room. But I definately can't play at the level I played 10 years ago. When the guys fresh out of Jr hockey take over the leagues, it takes the fun right out of it. Not because of the skill, but the attitude. They try and play with the same rough and tough mentality, start fights and chirping up a storm at guys old enough to be their dad. Seeing that foolishness, and a little bit of not being able to hang with that skill anymore is why I gave up the leagues around here, strictly pick up hockey for me. I sub in for some of my old teams, but I'm too fed up with the 19-35 league, and too young for the 35+ league. I have more fun with pick up anyway!

Realy know that situation, it just happens over time, that amateur league is crippled by ex-junior players. It starts slowly - ony one per team... and when you turn around, there is nobody of your friends who started league for fun :(. Must say, that over years, best fun I have in regular non-league sunday evening games. Yes, there are players who play/used to play league and game level is good (better than in some leagues around, I think). But it is allways fun, we have two regular teams, but change players before game, if it looks to be unbalanced.  

It’s funny that I have had the same exact experience in drop in hockey. We even had one guy try to make it into a private group. But as us not so great goalies would call in to reserve our spots would ensure that the “private” group’s goalies could not get there, this wanker finally decided to start renting his own sheet and took his tosser friends with him. 

But the league play is much worse from all of the horror stories I have read and heard. 

Do you have any draft leagues in your area?  Both the leagues I'm playing in are 10 team draft leagues where everyone has a rating and the captains pick the teams.  They are also no assholes allowed.  Your worst enemy may be your teammate next season.  It works great and creates a lot of parity.

-steve

PS - Your kit is great, I wouldn't quit either.

54 minutes ago, beansbats said:

Do you have any draft leagues in your area?  Both the leagues I'm playing in are 10 team draft leagues where everyone has a rating and the captains pick the teams.  They are also no assholes allowed.  Your worst enemy may be your teammate next season.  It works great and creates a lot of parity.

-steve

PS - Your kit is great, I wouldn't quit either.

The league I am in does draft players but I think the process is kinda messed up. My teams downfall is we got guys trying to have fun not paying attention to level but now it's a little poisoned. with too many skilled players. Kudos for them for having the skill but lighting up one team probably is alot of fun? lol

There is no guaranteed way to ensure teams are even.  I played for a shinny group, and every week the teams were pretty much the same, with one being loaded with guys who play with each other week after week.  I left there as they wouldn't mix up the teams.

I skate with another group on Friday nights, and the organizer does a reasonable job at trying to keep things even.  However, spares can throw that off, or even just someone who is "good" not having a good night, or someone who is "bad" having a career evening.

Leagues are always hit and miss.  Some try to keep parity, but sometimes your team just sucks.  I'm in an over 40 league with a draft each year.  The league has made trades in the past after the first 7 games (after you have played every team once), but didn't this year.  I call BS as there are 2 teams that are not anywhere close to the others (ours being 1) and a couple teams that are dominating everyone.  It's how it goes.

I will admit it's not easy getting up off the couch for a 9 pm Sunday night game when I know we're going to get our asses kicked and I'll be a zombie at work on Monday, but there's always hope for next year!

• 2 months later...

Well Played lights out last week and we still lost as we took a 1-1 tie into the 3rd but just were tired and outgunned in the last 5 mins or so. I was pretty close to break my stick across a dude's face as this dimwit took a slapper 15 feet out and he knew it's a senior league with no slapshots. 

4 games left. 

Losing streak.png

I thought anything over 5 goals was a blowout and when the opposition is in our zone 90% of the time and we have difficulties scoring, though in the last few weeks we have tried to pick it up as the teams thought they could waltz to a win but we take them by surprise. 

2 hours ago, Dharmaboy said:

I thought anything over 5 goals was a blowout and when the opposition is in our zone 90% of the time and we have difficulties scoring, though in the last few weeks we have tried to pick it up as the teams thought they could waltz to a win but we take them by surprise. 

I know the feeling, when other teams start spanking my one team they totally give up trying but still pass the puck around 5-on-5 like it was a power play, just never shoot unless it is a tip-in or wide open net on a backdoor pass.

1 minute ago, Hills said:

I know the feeling, when other teams start spanking my one team they totally give up trying but still pass the puck around 5-on-5 like it was a power play, just never shoot unless it is a tip-in or wide open net on a backdoor pass.

Last game my best D man and I were just hunched over panting as it was a relentless barrage. I am in shape, I workout 6 days a week and jog. but I am 42, old and stinky. plain and simple. LOL

35 minutes ago, MTH said:

You need to jump ship.

I now play in an over 40 league. Used to be 'the geezer league'. Now that I'm 41... it's great hockey!

Find an over 40 league. Or better - go play in an over 50 league. Helps.

Yeah its my last season. I feel bad for the guys but getting frustrated is not worth the effort of lacing it up if you are not having fun. Stood on my head yesterday and lost 5-2. We had a 2-2-1 lead going into the 2nd and I told the guys to take a pic of the scoreboard cuz that's never happening again.

Archived