Skate Insoles

I've been trying various insoles in my skates. The original VH yellow insoles were bunching up in the toe, causing me to scrunch my toes and cause a lot of pain. I replaced them with an old pair of custom SIDAS I had made (not very well, though - the shop owner who did them for me seemed to not give a shit) and they actually worked out pretty well for about a year until they started to thin out and I could feel the support plastic through them.

I ordered a set of True insoles that I've been using without issue for a couple months, but have wanted something a bit more squishy. Unlike player skates where you'd want a good feel for the ice, in goalie skates I just want comfort. I decided to order a set of Unequal insoles since Maltese still hasn't made their own. 

I ordered a size 10/11 as I'm a 10.5 shoe (and these aren't specifically for skates) and they were at least an inch too big. Their return policy says they cant be worn or altered so I can't even trim them to fit in my skates. So, I'm sending them back.

I guess I'll stick with the True insoles until I have issues, though they're a pain to get in because they're not stiff at all.

3D printing will be popping up very soon in this space. You’ll get something specific to your exact foot and it shouldn’t cost more than that existing after market insoles... Similar to VH with skates

If anyone is thinking of buying some seriously high end insoles, hold out!

One brand I am curious about? These. Anyone know anything? 

https://www.vktrygear.com/

• 6 months later...
50 minutes ago, goalie said:

Has anyone tried the new super feet "comfort" line?

Only the Superfeet Yellow for me. While the Yellow are more comfortable for me than standard insoles (been using Yellow for as long as I can remember regardless of the skate being worn) I think just accepted a while ago that comfort and performance are often mutually exclusive. I certainly wouldn't wear an insole that was painful by any means just to get performance, but to me the purpose of most new skates and their extensive use of composites is to transfer as much energy as possible to the meeting of steel and ice. Anything that would take away too much from that... I dunno. Maybe I'm just fortunate to not have the pain others experience.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just did a video on my first impressions of the new Hockey Carbon Superfeet I just purchased.  So far I've just played in them for one game and they felt great.  Still need to get a better long term feel.  Honestly, before I never thought about upgrading my insoles.  Now, when I get my next pair of skates that is one of the key things I'm going to look at.  Check the video out to see how the superfeet compare to my other three sets of skates.

Bauer Speedplates have been working for me pretty well.  Would like to upgrade to the 2.0's as they look like they have a bit more comfortable material built in, but want to wait until I know what I'm doing with my skates first.  Once I figure that out, I'll put up a separate post of the speedplates.

4 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

Bauer Speedplates have been working for me pretty well.  Would like to upgrade to the 2.0's as they look like they have a bit more comfortable material built in, but want to wait until I know what I'm doing with my skates first.  Once I figure that out, I'll put up a separate post of the speedplates.

Post up what you have for now

Superfeet are the worst and they stink so bad so fast. I'll be glad when that trend is over.

I'm unhappy with my VH skates but the comfort in the Shock Doctor insoles helps a bit. I'm definitely gonna give those Unequal insoles a try on my next skates.

14 hours ago, ULTIMA said:

Superfeet are the worst and they stink so bad so fast. I'll be glad when that trend is over.

I'm unhappy with my VH skates but the comfort in the Shock Doctor insoles helps a bit. I'm definitely gonna give those Unequal insoles a try on my next skates.

Which would be better suited for skates?  The cushioning insoles or the stability insoles?

I think it really depends.  I'm still trying out these Superfeet so I'm not ready to fully sing their praises yet until I get a good number more of skates in.  I would say if arch support is important look at the different options out there as too much arch support can be uncomfortable.  I've talked to various goalies and some just stick with the shoe insert for Superfeet which is thinner.  I wanted a insole with a little more cushion not necessarily for comfort but create a snugger fit in the boot.  If you go to a hockey store they should let you pull them out of the box and try standing on them to see how each product feels.  

K. Said i do a review of the Unequal insoles.

https://unequal.com/shop/sports/hockey/

Basically, they have 2 for hockey, comfort and stability. Now ive always experienced foot discomfort in skates. Player and Goal skates. 

Ive done foam, felt, stock, expensive stock, Superfeet and other brands. 

My current skates are Player Mako's in a Bauer cowling, coupled with Yellow Superfeet. I cant play more than 1 hour without either my toes #4 and #3 going numb or the outside edges of my feet experiencing pain. So i changed skates to CCM. The CCMs are wider in the ball of the foot. The stock footbed is CRAP. Thin, thin, thin. So i went with the Unequal after an unsuccessful attempt with another insole from a local hockey shop. (They were kind enough to refund me my money even though i used the insoles)

*Please note, the Makos have been heat molded to my feet and verified they are not too narrow*

Along comes this thread, and i jumped at Unequal. I went Comfort. 'Cause, I WANT COMFORT.

The insoles i purchased in my regular shoe sizing. I called the company and talked with an individual, not the greatest conversationist, and determined better to be a bit longer and trim the insole rather than have it too small in the ball of the foot or heel cup. 

So, free shipping (their promo) and in the mail. $40 US.  I watched a video from "The Insole Store" on how to cut the insole. Just me being anal. I found i had to unlace the skate almost completely and the heel doesnt "slide right in" b/c of the gel base. A few fit and fiddles later they were both in. Now, upon comparing the old with the new, the Unequal has a HUGE arch. I would say those with flat feet, this looks like it could be a big problem. I myself have high medium/high arches so i could feel it but not like a rock under my foot. 

On the ice, OUCH!. Its does say there is a break in time. I did my first use on a 2 hour pick up.  I found myself on my knees during the 2nd hour taking the pressure off my feet, 'cause they HURT LIKE USUAL.  Not the happy camper i was hoping for. However, my toes didnt go numb, and the pain was mostly the arch support pressure. Hmmm, possibilities??

Several skates later, i dont really notice them much. The first step on ice for warmups im mindful of the arch and then it disappears. As more skates are added, i think the softer foams are breaking in and becoming more familiar. I have again on a dual skate had to go to my knees to relieve foot pressure, but its not to the extent of the first skate. 

One caveat here, I HATE BREAKING IN NEW STUFF. It can be boots, shoes, underwear, toques or tires on the van. Im sensory aware of it and it bothers me. Possibly my Aspergers, but i highly doubt it. ;) 

All in all, its an improvement upon the stock CCM footbed, and i would say over the Yellow Superfeet. A 10 out of 10? No. Superfeet 7, Unequal 7.5.  The unequals' will also probably not fit in the Mako boot. I feel the high arch would be waaaaaay more prominent and problem. 

So my search for the Holy Grail footbed continues. Come on "feel like a sneaker, play like a pro".

Cheers, and Happy Holidays.

Well, after several skates in the Superfeet I'm starting to believe they are not so super for goalies.   I'll have to do a video review follow-up to my first video as I think other goalies should be aware of the issues I experienced.  I'm thinking these insoles are better suited to player skates. I'm going to switch back to the normal insoles this week but initial impressions are as follows:

1.) Ankle Stability Affected:  They have a carbon/plastic base in the heel that raises your foot in the skate boot.  This can be both a good and bad thing as I have found.  First off it causes your ankle to have less stability especially in a goalie skate that does not have as much ankle support as a player skate.  The effect here is I found I was much less stable in T-pushes, shuffles and skating and it slowed me down in my movements.  On the positive they do provide some additional height. 

2.) Ankle  Support and Comfort:  By raising your heel it also raises the placement of your ankle which affects not only support but comfort as it relates to how your skate was baked and fit for your heel is now off.

3.) Movement and Rocking of the Heal Insole:  The way the insole is designed with that carbon/plastic base it's not as stable and firm in the heel area.  What I found is when doing pushes or having your skate on angle the heel would shift and rock slightly in the boot.  I did not like that feeling. 

So for me as a goalie I plan on returning these insoles as they have a 60 day guarantee and we'll see if I pick something else up like the Bauer Speed Plate insoles.  I believe if these were in a player skate I would not have these issues.

Archived