Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
cwarnar

Wilcox to Kenesky

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, daffy said:

I'm not sure what's going on over there with Kenesky.  At this point, I would think twice about dealing with them.  As some of us know, Dave has been alittle hit and miss in the past with communication.  I tried him a few times to build a glove for me and after not hearing anything, all of a sudden I received an email saying he had started production.  I was happy to hear this but had almost bought another glove in the meantime.  He sent pics and was quick to finish the glove.  Here's the thing.  I have a friend who is not on this board.  I showed him my new WGD glove and he was very impressed that he contacted him asap to order a set of gloves.  This was quite some time ago.  Still no word of when they will go into production.  He also ordered a pair of Kenesky pads.  He was under the impression that they would get the order started and then they would discuss internals.  Next thing he knows he is receiving an email about straps and the pads were basically done.  There was also a delay in production for the pads.  He tried to make them work but just didn't like the stiffness of the pads.  After putting them up for sale he did hear from Mike who offered to change them.  The pads were sent back for alteration.  Now no communication once again.  It has been a number of weeks without a follow up.  My buddy has kept me in the loop and the lack of response is disturbing.  He hasn't put any money up for the gloves which is good at this point, but has paid for pads that are sitting at Kenesky and he has no idea what is happening.  I feel he has been quite patient with both Dave and Mike but at least a follow up to his inquires for status on his gear would be appreciated.  Let's remember that I'm getting his side of this so I'm certainly open to either Dave or Mike responding to this.  It has left a sour taste in my mouth.  I have my new Boddam gear but Kenesky was on my radar in the future.  Mike made me gloves under XGS that I was quite happy with.  At this time, Kenesky is totally off the table for me.  I had my issues with Agatone in the past, I don't want to go through a similar situation with Kenesky.  It has gotten to the point for him that I felt something needed to be said.  

As I mentioned, it would be great to hear the other side of this story and why they are dragging this out for him and not even acknowledging his emails.  I'm disappointed in both since they both make great gear.

Hey Daffy,

Sorry to hear about this. My experience with Mike has been completely different.  He has been quick to respond, sent me pics of the gear as it was being made, and even sent a video of the Scrivens strap he put into my pads since it was something new he was trying out.

He has sent me out new knee blocks, straps, and some other stuff free of charge when I asked.  I insisted on paying or even covering shipping and he wouldn't let me.  That being said, most of my communication with him is over Facebook Messenger, on which he usually gets back to me within an hour.  We had a discussion of his C/A last week and he sent me some pics. 

I was a Vortek/Agatone burnout too.  I paid for a full set back in the day (2003?) and ended up having my credit card company dispute it.  Then Marc Wells took over and promised me a set within two weeks around 2006, I thought I'd give them a try; I had them in under a week but hated the blocker and pads.  Ended up selling those.  Loved the glove though and ended up gambling on Agatone again a little while after he started the Agatone brand.  I think I got one of the only one piece, asymmetrical catch glove cuffs he produced.  He didn't take any payment until the glove was complete, so of course I got it and there were no issues.  The weird thing was, he called me a couple days later trying to get me to buy a matching blocker with payment up front...

Anyway, my suggestion is for your buddy to reach out to Dave directly over Facebook. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm hoping this is the exception rather than the rule.

Optik or G4 are the leaders for my next set of pads, but I'd love to see if Mike or Dave can build a light, flexible pad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, daffy said:

I'm not sure what's going on over there with Kenesky.  At this point, I would think twice about dealing with them.  As some of us know, Dave has been alittle hit and miss in the past with communication.  I tried him a few times to build a glove for me and after not hearing anything, all of a sudden I received an email saying he had started production.  I was happy to hear this but had almost bought another glove in the meantime.  He sent pics and was quick to finish the glove.  Here's the thing.  I have a friend who is not on this board.  I showed him my new WGD glove and he was very impressed that he contacted him asap to order a set of gloves.  This was quite some time ago.  Still no word of when they will go into production.  He also ordered a pair of Kenesky pads.  He was under the impression that they would get the order started and then they would discuss internals.  Next thing he knows he is receiving an email about straps and the pads were basically done.  There was also a delay in production for the pads.  He tried to make them work but just didn't like the stiffness of the pads.  After putting them up for sale he did hear from Mike who offered to change them.  The pads were sent back for alteration.  Now no communication once again.  It has been a number of weeks without a follow up.  My buddy has kept me in the loop and the lack of response is disturbing.  He hasn't put any money up for the gloves which is good at this point, but has paid for pads that are sitting at Kenesky and he has no idea what is happening.  I feel he has been quite patient with both Dave and Mike but at least a follow up to his inquires for status on his gear would be appreciated.  Let's remember that I'm getting his side of this so I'm certainly open to either Dave or Mike responding to this.  It has left a sour taste in my mouth.  I have my new Boddam gear but Kenesky was on my radar in the future.  Mike made me gloves under XGS that I was quite happy with.  At this time, Kenesky is totally off the table for me.  I had my issues with Agatone in the past, I don't want to go through a similar situation with Kenesky.  It has gotten to the point for him that I felt something needed to be said.  

As I mentioned, it would be great to hear the other side of this story and why they are dragging this out for him and not even acknowledging his emails.  I'm disappointed in both since they both make great gear.

As I wrote above, I just finished a great experience with Kenesky. I do feel like I can speak to some of your concerns.

At times,  I would say that communication with Kenesky took a little patience on my part. Much of it was me needing to recalibrate my expectations, and realize that this is what it means to work with a small business. There aren't necessarily a whole bunch of employees who are able to pick up the phone, take orders, give you estimates, respond to emails right away, etc. There is often just one person (at best, a few) who is knowledgeable or in the position to handle these things, and if that person out all day setting up a storefront or demoing their gear to a pro, then you're probably not going to talk to someone that day. And sure, that can be aggravating. I think today's world of commerce has conditioned all of us to expect something close to immediacy, or that every interaction with a company will be very orderly and processed. Working with a small business can feel very different from this, and the disparity can make you feel like things aren't right, or like you're being ignored. I know I wrote one or two emails that required an 'ahem' follow-up on my part, and sure, that's not the feeling you want when you're sitting there, eager to drop a lot of money on some new gear. 

BUT what I can tell you is that when I did hear back from Mike (he preferred to reach out via phone, whereas I'm more of an email guy), I felt the *full* effect of the customer service you get from a smaller business, and any gripes or concerns I had were be eviscerated. Mike listened to every single thought, question, or concern I had, and addressed all of them across the board. He'd call me back with new ideas he had discussed with someone about how to pull off a feature, or when he was excited about a solution to one of my queries. We emailed pictures back and forth, with me sending him pictures of my old pads and other goalie pads I loved as reference points, and him showing me other pads he'd built, and what he could do to them to make them match what I was envisioning. It was a real pleasure to work with someone who was so attuned to what I wanted, and the pads I received in the end serve as proof to how closely Mike paid attention to what I wanted. Really, I can't iterate enough how much these conversations made me forget any concerns or annoyances.

When we were getting to the end, Mike even informed me that I could have had my pads a few days earlier... but that he'd been so excited about the custom set he was building me that he asked one of the workers to leave them aside so that he could sew them up himself. I hate whipping out such an overused word, but Mike's passion for building goalie clear was palpable. And his passion for building my pads was even more palpable. What could be better? Screw having my pads a few days earlier. 

So, I would encourage you (or your friend) to really take into consideration what it means to work with a smaller business. Choosing to work with a smaller company over a larger one (or vice versa) is a give-and-take, and I think part of what you sacrifice in working with a smaller business is that sense of order and confidence you get when you work with a major company. But in this case I found what I got in return was far, far more valuable in the end. 

And a final two cents: some of this has to be on your friend. I have to assume that he could have been more diligent in making sure that he knew his order was placed, whether his payments had been accepted, etc. If you're unsure about something, ask. And ask again. And if you're not getting an answer, write a very clear email saying that you do not want to continue until you've heard back from someone and established your order, when you can expect it, and when you'll be expected to pay. If the other side isn't communicating well, than force the conversation. Don't be passive about it. I never had anything like this with Kenesky, by the way. 

Hope this helps! You should do what you feel comfortable with, but I had some similar concerns at one point, and I can't tell you how glad I am that I saw things through.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@Chenner29 can we get a pic of this glove?

I'll have to find it.

I actually sold it to another guy who's now a Maltese rep as well.  Small world!

Picture a CCM/Reebok 590 cuff with the Agatone break. 

3 hours ago, DALV1 said:

Can we see the pics of the c/a as well?

I'm not sure if I can share them as it's not scheduled for formal release until May.  Sorry!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anything, this alliance should remedy a lot of the problems that has plagued Dave Wilcox, especially since he is now going to focus on gear full time. My only concerning experience with Mike is that his spam filter seems to be set on maximum kill, as it seems to be very hard to get an email through; the solution is to call or text him as he is very responsive. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

If anything, this alliance should remedy a lot of the problems that has plagued Dave Wilcox, especially since he is now going to focus on gear full time. My only concerning experience with Mike is that his spam filter seems to be set on maximum kill, as it seems to be very hard to get an email through; the solution is to call or text him as he is very responsive. 

Seconded. Phone is absolutely the way to go with Mike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys thanks for the responses.  Good to hear the communication has been good.  I'll definitely go back to him and let him know what has been suggested here and that you guys are getting timely responses.  Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2018 at 10:35 AM, daffy said:

Hey guys thanks for the responses.  Good to hear the communication has been good.  I'll definitely go back to him and let him know what has been suggested here and that you guys are getting timely responses.  Thanks again!

Tell your friend to join the site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2018 at 8:02 AM, bunnyman666 said:

If anything, this alliance should remedy a lot of the problems that has plagued Dave Wilcox, especially since he is now going to focus on gear full time. My only concerning experience with Mike is that his spam filter seems to be set on maximum kill, as it seems to be very hard to get an email through; the solution is to call or text him as he is very responsive. 

Would you be mad at me if I wasn’t fully shocked you got flagged in a spam filter? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Would you be mad at me if I wasn’t fully shocked you got flagged in a spam filter? 

What exactly are you implying?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know if Dave Wilcox was designing for TPS in the early 2000s? I'm kicking around the idea of a Icecap tribute from Dominator's time with the Wings.

I figured it'd be best to use Kenesky if Dave had a hand in the original design.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, motowngoalie said:

Does anyone know if Dave Wilcox was designing for TPS in the early 2000s? I'm kicking around the idea of a Icecap tribute from Dominator's time with the Wings.

I figured it'd be best to use Kenesky if Dave had a hand in the original design.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

I think he was there post Bionic.  I know his crown jewel was the Xceed Line as well as the Response line with Lundy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cwarnar said:

I think he was there post Bionic.  I know his crown jewel was the Xceed Line as well as the Response line with Lundy

 I think @WGD was involved then, but I believe Ice Cap was mainly a Heaton design? We'd need a pretty good timeline to solve this one. All those lines overlapped in a pretty tight window.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2019 at 6:11 PM, bunnyman666 said:

Are Brock tubes even available?

I'm mostly looking to do a copy of the graphic, but on a modern pad design. Still, I wonder if it'd be possible to do the vertical stitching and perforations form the original...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2019 at 8:39 PM, TheGoalNet said:

 I think @WGD was involved then, but I believe Ice Cap was mainly a Heaton design? We'd need a pretty good timeline to solve this one. All those lines overlapped in a pretty tight window.

Yeah I can't seem to find out too much in digging through GSBB, etc. 😞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, motowngoalie said:

I'm mostly looking to do a copy of the graphic, but on a modern pad design. Still, I wonder if it'd be possible to do the vertical stitching and perforations form the original...

Email Dave... He's pretty good about it.

Dave@kenesky.com

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, motowngoalie said:

I'm mostly looking to do a copy of the graphic, but on a modern pad design. Still, I wonder if it'd be possible to do the vertical stitching and perforations form the original...

Dave likes doing his own takes on older graphics, so I think you’re in luck. He did a Wilson blocker hole pattern for me and it was really cool!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...