Wilcox to Kenesky

cwarnar

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing you have to give to Howie at Kenesky over Dennis at Factory Mad is the willingness to do some out there stuff! Don’t get me wrong- I am a HUGE Factory Fan Boy!!! I have a blocker being built this week from Dennis and plan on more gear from the Dennis!!!! But try getting a T-1000 copy with Factory touches done from Dennis- AIN’T happening! Dennis stubbornly does his thing and it works for him! I find it works for me in most cases!!! I am most likely going to try his pads soon. But I may find that I like my Brian’s chickie pads better than anything else but with a few bunny touches; I’d bet that Dave and Mike could throw that together. Dennis won’t and I TOTALLY respect that!!!!

More custom and less cookie cutter is what the landscape will look like with this incarnation of Kenesky in the gear picture. JRZ will also fill in the gaps that was left when traditional Bauer left the picture. 

I think this alliance would actually put more pressure on the big four than on Passau and Factory. 

Awesome news. I just got my first new set in pads in 13 years from Kenesky, and I definitely asked Howie for more than a few major customizations. He didn't bat an eye, can-do attitude all the way... and the pads came out absolutely beautiful. All said and done, Howie built me a pair of pads I don't think I could have found anywhere else on the market, for a good price, and with all the care and customer service one could ask for. 

3 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

The thing you have to give to Howie at Kenesky over Dennis at Factory Mad is the willingness to do some out there stuff! Don’t get me wrong- I am a HUGE Factory Fan Boy!!! I have a blocker being built this week from Dennis and plan on more gear from the Dennis!!!! But try getting a T-1000 copy with Factory touches done from Dennis- AIN’T happening! Dennis stubbornly does his thing and it works for him! I find it works for me in most cases!!! I am most likely going to try his pads soon. But I may find that I like my Brian’s chickie pads better than anything else but with a few bunny touches; I’d bet that Dave and Mike could throw that together. Dennis won’t and I TOTALLY respect that!!!!

More custom and less cookie cutter is what the landscape will look like with this incarnation of Kenesky in the gear picture. JRZ will also fill in the gaps that was left when traditional Bauer left the picture. 

I think this alliance would actually put more pressure on the big four than on Passau and Factory. 

The big 4 all sell via retail channels. They have different stomachs for custom depending on the brand. Their custom pads are custom versions of a retail product. 

Passau and Factory sell direct to consumer. They both make bespoke gear to your body. From what I know, JRZ and Kenesky will follow this model. 

Why do you feel it puts more pressure on the big boys? 

24 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

The big 4 all sell via retail channels. They have different stomachs for custom depending on the brand. Their custom pads are custom versions of a retail product. 

Passau and Factory sell direct to consumer. They both make bespoke gear to your body. From what I know, JRZ and Kenesky will follow this model. 

I think with more bespoke gear companies making custom gear at better prices than off the shelf items from the big 4, more "regular people"  might start  ordering from them, just a thought.

It will also depend on how the smaller companies customer service is, if they treat their customers right they should do well, especially if they make any mistakes. How they rectify the problem will have alot to do with the future of the company.

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Because the big boys don’t give two shits about what fits you.

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Besides- Kenesky would build a Bea Arthur pad; the big four, not EVEN Brian’s WOULD. 

9 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I believe we can expect to see some extension of what Dave was doing with older TPS models. I think the Factory Mad and Passau could face some serious competition from Kenesky and JRZ 

This was already happening.  A KHL goalie got a Wilcox glove with Kenesky logos.

Wow! Dave going to Kenesky is some great news! I've liked his work at TPS, so hopefully Kenesky will offer some of his old designs, or maybe some new ones (?) I was earlier interested in Kenesky, but lost interest when I hear they were CCM-type pads. But if they do some TPS-type pads, they definitely got my attention :)

I know Dave was offering his gloves directly from him, but heard of alot of ordering delays and communication problems, which I can understand as he's juggling a regular job and family as well. So going thru Kenesky I imagine these types of issues would be less likely to happen.

So good news all around, all the best to Dave and Kenesky! :chug:

4 hours ago, daffy said:

Agreed, id love to see some wilcox made kenesky gloves!

20 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@daffy - not actually doubting @Chenner29, but I am not familiar with the project and would like to see pics :chug:

This one didn't go to the KHL but it's clearly a Wilcox design.  Thumb and cuff shape, break, and backhand are the giveaways.

image.png.02739d008138b1533ccdd7167661c071.png

I'm not sure what's going on over there with Kenesky.  At this point, I would think twice about dealing with them.  As some of us know, Dave has been alittle hit and miss in the past with communication.  I tried him a few times to build a glove for me and after not hearing anything, all of a sudden I received an email saying he had started production.  I was happy to hear this but had almost bought another glove in the meantime.  He sent pics and was quick to finish the glove.  Here's the thing.  I have a friend who is not on this board.  I showed him my new WGD glove and he was very impressed that he contacted him asap to order a set of gloves.  This was quite some time ago.  Still no word of when they will go into production.  He also ordered a pair of Kenesky pads.  He was under the impression that they would get the order started and then they would discuss internals.  Next thing he knows he is receiving an email about straps and the pads were basically done.  There was also a delay in production for the pads.  He tried to make them work but just didn't like the stiffness of the pads.  After putting them up for sale he did hear from Mike who offered to change them.  The pads were sent back for alteration.  Now no communication once again.  It has been a number of weeks without a follow up.  My buddy has kept me in the loop and the lack of response is disturbing.  He hasn't put any money up for the gloves which is good at this point, but has paid for pads that are sitting at Kenesky and he has no idea what is happening.  I feel he has been quite patient with both Dave and Mike but at least a follow up to his inquires for status on his gear would be appreciated.  Let's remember that I'm getting his side of this so I'm certainly open to either Dave or Mike responding to this.  It has left a sour taste in my mouth.  I have my new Boddam gear but Kenesky was on my radar in the future.  Mike made me gloves under XGS that I was quite happy with.  At this time, Kenesky is totally off the table for me.  I had my issues with Agatone in the past, I don't want to go through a similar situation with Kenesky.  It has gotten to the point for him that I felt something needed to be said.  

As I mentioned, it would be great to hear the other side of this story and why they are dragging this out for him and not even acknowledging his emails.  I'm disappointed in both since they both make great gear.

That's a bummer, I hope it gets straightened out. I have emailed Mike a few times this last week and he has replied within a couple of hours, I have been impressed with his timely replies and the answers I have recieved.

As I said before, if the smaller companies correct the issues that come up in a timely and just way they should do well. I just recently bought a complete set from another bespoke company and had a small issue, while I was not impressed with the company's rep in repsonse to the issue, I will say so far the company has treated right. I'm just waiting to get my piece of equipment back and see how they treat me in the end.  

Archived