TGN Deep Dive: Bauer Konekt Skates

TheGoalNet

Konekt Noob here. Finally found a barely used pair with a 4mm setup at a great price. Super excited to try these out. However, I  am also super paranoid about a buckle breaking as I dont have a retail store that I bought these from to reach out to ( I got them on www.nevermadeitprostock.com). In the event one breaks, what is the protocol for replacing parts of a used set of skates? I do have a goaliemonkey close to me. Can I put in a request through them? It is so silly that we cant purchase a spare set. Why make it so difficult? Also, Looking at the bottom were these holes from a holder or put in for ventilation? Can you tell if these are 1st or 2nd gen buckles? 

Kon holes.jpeg

Kon1.jpeg

• Like 1

Someone posted a link to a spare parts kit, but I've only been able to find it internationally.  I'd suggest contacting Bauer directly or your local Goalie Monkey, even if you bought them used I don't see why they wouldn't be able to get you spare parts. 

Those are CCM holders, someone swapped the stock Bauer Vertexx holder to a CCM XSG holder.  

Re: the holes drilled on top, I'm assuming this was done for some sort of toe tie/bungee setup?  Only thing I can think of.  

10 hours ago, jack2900 said:

Konekt Noob here. Finally found a barely used pair with a 4mm setup at a great price. Super excited to try these out. However, I  am also super paranoid about a buckle breaking as I dont have a retail store that I bought these from to reach out to ( I got them on www.nevermadeitprostock.com). In the event one breaks, what is the protocol for replacing parts of a used set of skates? I do have a goaliemonkey close to me. Can I put in a request through them? It is so silly that we cant purchase a spare set. Why make it so difficult? Also, Looking at the bottom were these holes from a holder or put in for ventilation? Can you tell if these are 1st or 2nd gen buckles? 

Kon holes.jpeg

Kon1.jpeg

Dream setup right there.   Bauer boots with the much better CCM steel.   Nice find!   What size and how much did they have them for if you don't mind me asking?   I obviously forgot to peruse their site last week!

19 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

Dream setup right there.   Bauer boots with the much better CCM steel.   Nice find!   What size and how much did they have them for if you don't mind me asking?   I obviously forgot to peruse their site last week!

$720 USD shipped. Size 10. 

On 2/22/2023 at 7:29 AM, Wrbsti15 said:

Keep us posted 

Called Bauer, they asked for a few pics and sent a new buckle cable, but not the actual buckle itself.  I’ve played twice with the slightly bent buckle and JB welded cable with no issues so figure I’ll keep using it until an issue arises.

• 4 months later...
On 9/2/2022 at 3:42 PM, BadAngle41 said:

Crude in comparison, I just cut to size a piece of adhesive backed ECOProFoam I had from an old mask refurbishment and slapped it under the grey loop where the top Konekt strap goes through. It has held up well over 5 skates or so now. It may just be a placebo effect as it does compress to a fraction of its thickness, but certainly hasn't negatively affected the skate's performance. V02 of this could see the use of some strips of Maltese with a thin layer of neoprene (also adhesive back and left over from a mask refurb) that would not only be slightly thicker than the current test solution, but stylish to quasi-match the green Ultralon. 😎 
@Chenner29 had mentioned the ECOProFoam lace bite pads that are intended to adhere to the backside of a skate tongue with velcro which might be worth trying too. 

263D7678-2935-4520-94CC-A6324787200A.thumb.jpeg.3d1439fa6e12c46888ed0e8acb402f26.jpeg

69FBDC08-AFCA-48CA-83C0-4BA322D7E48B.thumb.jpeg.3f71d6dea973be8e639b733e8c4418b7.jpeg  BF308629-0951-452A-9BD5-E73B9E150A1B.thumb.jpeg.5092d162f48ff3e7132f16240e78c1cc.jpeg

On 9/4/2022 at 12:51 PM, Punisher Goalie said:

Not crude at all - that’s actually an even simpler solution. I just wanted to have the option to easily remove and potentially change the thickness of the foam if needed later. The lace bite pad on the inside of the tongue is a good idea too. 

How are you gents getting on with your mods? I am in the same boat where I just can't get the top strap to feel tight enough or feel "konektd" to the skate for quick forward/backwards c cuts compared to my regular skates.

1 hour ago, Zip said:

How are you gents getting on with your mods? I am in the same boat where I just can't get the top strap to feel tight enough or feel "konektd" to the skate for quick forward/backwards c cuts compared to my regular skates.

My version of the mod continues to function perfectly. I do hope the next iteration of the Konekts includes more options for the top strap. I love these skates but that's the only thing that's keeping me from buying a backup pair. 

1 hour ago, Zip said:

29 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

My version of the mod continues to function perfectly. I do hope the next iteration of the Konekts includes more options for the top strap. I love these skates but that's the only thing that's keeping me from buying a backup pair. 

I did similar with a piece of foam on mine and it's been holding up fine for nearly a year now.  While I don't have skinny ankles, I would like the ability to tighten down on the top buckle a bit more.  I'm probably going to end up punching a couple extra holes on the top strap so the buckle can be tightened more.

Edited by jerd31

On 7/25/2023 at 1:11 PM, Zip said:

Doing great. Over time it has shifted slightly but it's easy enough to re-position and/or just put a new piece on. But it's been almost a year and I'm just now considering doing that.

On 7/25/2023 at 2:40 PM, jerd31 said:

I did similar with a piece of foam on mine and it's been holding up fine for nearly a year now.  While I don't have skinny ankles, I would like the ability to tighten down on the top buckle a bit more.  I'm probably going to end up punching a couple extra holes on the top strap so the buckle can be tightened more.

I want to say I looked at doing the same thing before I even tried just slapping some foam underneath and the way the holes line up I don't think you really can. If I recall correctly there wasn't enough length remaining to have a new hole to be spaced properly and punched, or something. I could be completely wrong through. If you try it be sure to give it a post.

On 7/28/2023 at 9:12 AM, BadAngle41 said:

I want to say I looked at doing the same thing before I even tried just slapping some foam underneath and the way the holes line up I don't think you really can. If I recall correctly there wasn't enough length remaining to have a new hole to be spaced properly and punched, or something. I could be completely wrong through. If you try it be sure to give it a post.

I was able to punch another hole, gives you another 1/2” to tighten the top buckle.  

IMG_8356.thumb.jpeg.3310329dd8d6b6ac6d081b2178329dce.jpegIMG_8354.thumb.jpeg.6759cc37fe6333d154ddc62843fc260e.jpegIMG_8355.thumb.jpeg.a97c32616c58565c4918b0d530d07e5e.jpeg

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, RecoveringGoalie1 said:

Went with a similar approach as BadAngle41. Used some cut up 3/8th" thick Nash helmet foam replacement as a first pass before investing into a more permanent solution. Only a few skates in with it, but does appear to improve the loose ankle issues. 

Tempted to try out hole punching as @Hockey34 did, see how it compares next.

IMG_3512.jpg

IMG_3513.jpg

I haven’t punched a hole in mine yet but I’m really considering it. That was @jerd31  that did his I was just asking how he did it. 

9 hours ago, jerd31 said:

Just finished a game, the extra hole definitely made a difference.  Ankle felt much more secure, wish I added a hole sooner!

After you move the hooks. How close is the actual strap to the buckle does it hit? Will it mess up the locking of the buckle to make it pop off easier?

18 minutes ago, Hockey34 said:

After you move the hooks. How close is the actual strap to the buckle does it hit? Will it mess up the locking of the buckle to make it pop off easier?

On mine it slightly curls in to the underside of the buckle, but does not make it pop open or make the strap start to wear down. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hockey34 said:

As Cass mentioned, the strap curls into the buckle but the bucks seems to lock in just fine.  It does look like the strap can be trimmed and shortened a bit, I’ll just do that if I find the buckle is prone to popping.  

• Like 3

Punched a hole as the others have and am very pleased with the results. The strap curls into the buckle as @jerd31 noted, but haven't had any issues with it causing the buckle to come undone. If anything the extra tension makes it harder to unlatch the buckle.

As well I had another lower buckle fail as others have experienced, was a breeze to swap it in with a replacement piece. Shout out to the team at TheHockeyShop in Langley - they mailed it to me within 24 hours and I'm good to skate again this weekend. With how good the moulding process went for my feet I'd have felt comfortable skating without the buckle as I didn't realize it had popped until I was in the locker room after my skate.

• Like 1