TGN Deep Dive: Bauer Konekt Skates

TheGoalNet

4 minutes ago, Wrbsti15 said:

Good to know! I’ll have to figure out what to do about the toe sleeves 

You could probably pick up something like this. It seems pretty similar to the Bauer toe sleeve. You can search "neoprene toe warmer" on Amazon and find some other similar ones.

Attached is a screenshot from a Bauer fitting video - you can see the toe sleeve is pretty close in size and material to the one in the Amazon link.

ToeSleeve.png.5c65f21a7796d07571c982d8602b9445.png

5 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

You could probably pick up something like this. It seems pretty similar to the Bauer toe sleeve. You can search "neoprene toe warmer" on Amazon and find some other similar ones.

Attached is a screenshot from a Bauer fitting video - you can see the toe sleeve is pretty close in size and material to the one in the Amazon link.

ToeSleeve.png.5c65f21a7796d07571c982d8602b9445.png

Awesome I might order those for the $12 

15 hours ago, Hockeygoalie111 said:

This is my mod for Pro Laces.  Tie the lace through the loop in the liner and then place UNDER the lower buckle so it doesn’t have tension on it.  Leave enough slack so you can slide velcro staps through.  Better than having anything directly attached to the buckles!

991B0913-70BB-44C9-9312-40695ED9559C.jpeg

I am using the skate lace loop too. I think this is a superior method to the one posted by @TheGoalNet (no offense) because it stays attached through the pull loop all the time and does not require you to reattach or make sure it stays on whenever you release the lower buckle.

Your idea of holding the skate lace down with the lower buckle is an interesting one. I haven't had any problems with mine above the buckle yet, but I may give your version a try. 

3 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

I am using the skate lace loop too. I think this is a superior method to the one posted by @TheGoalNet (no offense) because it stays attached through the pull loop all the time and does not require you to reattach or make sure it stays on whenever you release the lower buckle.

Your idea of holding the skate lace down with the lower buckle is an interesting one. I haven't had any problems with mine above the buckle yet, but I may give your version a try. 

Non taken! All good

1 hour ago, Scythe said:

Could the koneckt skate be a stepping stone to a loafer type goalie skate? There could be some kind of ankle protector made then a person could have all the flex he wants. 

The point of having the hinge is so that you can have more flex without sacrificing ankle support. If someone didn't want any ankle support then they'd just not lace up their top 3-4 eyelets.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CJ Boiss said:

The point of having the hinge is so that you can have more flex without sacrificing ankle support. If someone didn't want any ankle support then they'd just not lace up their top 3-4 eyelets.

100%. Konekt's ability to give you great forward flex without sacrificing lateral stiffness is amazing. I had been going to one less eyelet on 2X Pro to get some additional forward flex but the reduced support was noticeable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scythe said:

Could the koneckt skate be a stepping stone to a loafer type goalie skate? There could be some kind of ankle protector made then a person could have all the flex he wants. 

Per Bauer, this is just the first iteration of what is ultimately their vision of the next generation of goalie skates:

Untitled.png.d9a4e4e562906e815ca93f401e45bc19.png

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, RichMan said:

I'm curious to see how the clasps will wear out the inside pad channel in the long run. There's bound to be some new wear and tear spots not seen from conventional skates.

How's the toe splay in these things? I find my X170s rather narrow at the toe box.

I think that's already been addressed in the thread earlier. No additional wear was found during testing. But there's also nothing stopping you from putting a piece of sacrificial adhesive nash or jenpro a la PadSkinz right at the bottom of the boot.

Earlier in the thread it's pointed out that Bauer wants you to put on a toe sleeve during fitting to allow for toe room. Given that the shell and liner is made for all widths, there should be no issue for your individual foot as long as you use the sleeve.

38 minutes ago, goalieThreeOne said:

I think that's already been addressed in the thread earlier. No additional wear was found during testing. But there's also nothing stopping you from putting a piece of sacrificial adhesive nash or jenpro a la PadSkinz right at the bottom of the boot.

Earlier in the thread it's pointed out that Bauer wants you to put on a toe sleeve during fitting to allow for toe room. Given that the shell and liner is made for all widths, there should be no issue for your individual foot as long as you use the sleeve.

I would go so far as to say I think there is probably more friction between the top of a normal skate (laces, eyelets, etc.) and boot of the pad than with the Konekts. 

Skated last night, still got pain in the same pain points after the third (?) bake.  Not as bad as pre-bake.

Skated today, put in Superfeet and while they killed my arches for about half an hour, the pain was mostly gone by the end of it

Continuing on testing these things...maybe I bought my Step steel too early

5 hours ago, Wrbsti15 said:

Still waiting for mine. It’s been a month now. I’m told that they were “picked” by bauer meaning that they were on the way supposedly. 

I was recently told Bauer’s warehouse or whatever is 30 days behind. Not totally sure on any details more than that but apparently the 2 weeks I was told is something like 2 weeks from when they get the skates and not 2 weeks from the order date. Being a massive corporation they of course aren’t telling any of their customers this.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Skated last night, still got pain in the same pain points after the third (?) bake.  Not as bad as pre-bake.

Skated today, put in Superfeet and while they killed my arches for about half an hour, the pain was mostly gone by the end of it

I have flat foot ! Got pain for my 7 first game !! I change my sock.. so had thick supreme sock. My friend give me his Vapor sock. They are thinner and I don’t have any pain now ! 

sometime it’s something stupid to change 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Could you re bake with the superfeet in?

15 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Not sure, the Superfeet have plastic/carbon reinforcement at the bottom, I'm a little nervous that it would get too hot and damage/melt the liner layer

Prob not bake with super feet in the liner but put them in right away and do the cool down with the super feet in 

3 minutes ago, kudot said:

After 6 skates the bottom of my feet finally stopped hurting.

Unfortunately the wire for one of the buckles popped out like it did for some others. 

Does Bauer send parts to repair or do the retail stores exchange out the whole skate for this?

I spoke to someone at Bauer, who forwarded my e-mail to the Warranty department.

https://www.bauer.com/en-US/bauer-support/customer-service/Warranty.html

They sent me a replacement part and it was easy to swap out (https://www.thegoalnet.com/forums/topic/6838-tgn-deep-dive-bauer-konekt-skates/?do=findComment&comment=97434)

• Like 1

Here is my attempt at making an installed-but-easily-removable mod for taking up volume (same effect as shortening) on the top strap to lock in my skinny ankles.

As I posted above, I have been sandwiching a piece of thick foam between the strap and the tongue to get the desired effect. It has worked perfectly for 5+ sessions, however I don’t like the extra step of having to place the foam behind the strap each time I put the skates one (come on - a huge part of the appeal of these skates is the quick on-and-off!).

Since this doesn’t have to be a very high-strength component - the nature of the “sandwiching” keeps everything together - I simply superglued fresh blocks of foam to 5.5” long pieces of 2” wide OneWrap (hook on one side, loop on the other) and wrapped it around the upper strap where it overlaps the tongue. Conveniently, in the “small” setting on the upper strap, the notch at the end of the metal hook/bracket keeps the contraption from sliding off the strap. Note - loop is on the outside as hook might cause friction/wear on the boot of the leg pads.

Haven’t been on ice with it yet, but it appears to function exactly as my prototype solution, so I am quite optimistic. 

Loving everything about these skates and these minor mods have added another dimension of fun!

8D78C43A-21BC-4EE2-8E01-3D06D2E9A130.jpeg

0B246B26-5D9E-4D89-87E8-489E011F511A.jpeg

21539A48-952A-4598-A7FB-19889C308434.jpeg

• Like 4