TGN Deep Dive: Bauer Konekt Skates

TheGoalNet

11 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Looks like they used cable instead of the rigid metal attachment like before. Is this correct?

I can't really tell. Seems to look and feel the same. I can snap some more pics.

I can see cable underneath the black "sleeve" on both of the buckles.

High-res pictures below, click to embiggen.

20220825_162951.thumb.jpg.243f044d4994fcbbc37aff653936ef54.jpg

20220825_162936.thumb.jpg.a3fd68882a5e8e0fb9f0854bc4d9af72.jpg

Edited by ZeroGravitas

For those using Prolaces or other elastic toes, this was the solution given to me by Michel @ Prolaces. He said @TheGoalNet is using this method

It's double sided velcro that you roll up on the cable posts.

I'm assuming you sandwich the loose velcro piece between the two jenpro tabs.

With these cables snapping, I'm a little concerned about any possible extra tension this will create but I'll give it a shot for now

image.png.d6e7d6cf692bba1d2c13d46a6fb1299c.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

For those using Prolaces or other elastic toes, this was the solution given to me by Michel @ Prolaces. He said @TheGoalNet is using this method

It's double sided velcro that you roll up on the cable posts.

I'm assuming you sandwich the loose velcro piece between the two jenpro tabs.

With these cables snapping, I'm a little concerned about any possible extra tension this will create but I'll give it a shot for now

image.png.d6e7d6cf692bba1d2c13d46a6fb1299c.png

1C36B768-2D98-45D0-B9C8-BC2AB000D979.jpeg

788F02E0-9412-4007-B622-8B6D164FBB00.jpeg

68B414A7-83E8-4502-AB6A-F00F39720945.jpeg

ACB8F5F4-B0E7-4A52-8158-4993C12E9FB5.jpeg

On 8/17/2022 at 10:56 AM, ThatCarGuy said:

Ideally Tydan or step but they’re both near impossible to come by. 

On 8/17/2022 at 1:22 PM, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Step doesn’t make steel for vertexx

I see some availability in all sizes for both 3mm and 4mm at Crow's Sports.  Not sure how accurate this is

On 8/25/2022 at 7:43 PM, ZeroGravitas said:

Skated this morning and the wire popped out of the buckle again. Pretty annoying to have it happen 5 minutes into a pickup, just after warmups. Didn't bother to stop and fix it. Had a game over the weekend where it stayed in place. Oh well.

Replacement buckle came today after my morning skate. Easy swap - just rotate the buckle (lefty loosey) and put the new one on (righty tighty). New buckle doesn't have an arrow on it to show which side is up. Hopefully this won't happen again.

20220825_162738.thumb.jpg.c60688eb9eb6d7a3cc69568e9b212a46.jpg

Must be a pain in the cahonas

On 8/26/2022 at 6:43 PM, netminder said:

Has anyone weighed theses yet? Im hearing they weigh more then every offering out there including low end models.

Are you in the market for a pair of these? Or just challenging that people are actually satisfied with something  so new?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hockeygoalie111 said:

This is my mod for Pro Laces.  Tie the lace through the loop in the liner and then place UNDER the lower buckle so it doesn’t have tension on it.  Leave enough slack so you can slide velcro staps through.  Better than having anything directly attached to the buckles!

991B0913-70BB-44C9-9312-40695ED9559C.jpeg

I may try this over the Velcro. That’s if my skates ever come lol. Had my pros sold but decided to keep them as a back up for now. 

6 hours ago, Wrbsti15 said:

For those who have the skates and went through the fitting process did anyone use the shims or the toe sleeves? My shop doesn’t have either so I’m hoping there won’t be any fitment issues. 

You’ll want the toe sleeves to help make room for your feet and also not leave “grooves” or indents from toes.  You could make your own or I would contact Bauer and have them ship a pair.

1 minute ago, Hockeygoalie111 said:

You’ll want the toe sleeves to help make room for your feet and also not leave “grooves” or indents from toes.  You could make your own or I would contact Bauer and have them ship a pair.

Yeah someone suggested cutting an old pair of socks and using the ends 

22 hours ago, netminder said:

Im weighing my options. A pair of skates at rec level hockey but at this cost, I need to see these are not a waste of time and money so feedback is definately required here.  Early trends in resale ads, modifications needed and quality issues within the first 50 days of launch is not a good sign. If more Pro's reject these skates just for the sake of change too, it will probably be a no-go for me based on all that. Hopefully this model is tweaked in a year and bit from now though. 

An adult rec goalie should base 0 purchasing decisions based on what an NHL goalie wears.

IMO, the Konekt flex has greatly reduced pain in hips the day after a game. It's a more forgiving skate. If you have the means to buy this skate and currently experience any joint pain after a skate, I think that alone could justify the cost? Who cares if they are 10% heavier and not accepted by NHL goalies... but they allow your body to accept the rigors of goaltending with less stress?

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

An adult rec goalie should base 0 purchasing decisions based on what an NHL goalie wears.

IMO, the Konekt flex has greatly reduced pain in hips the day after a game. It's a more forgiving skate. If you have the means to buy this skate and currently experience any joint pain after a skate, I think that alone could justify the cost? Who cares if they are 10% heavier and not accepted by NHL goalies... but they allow your body to accept the rigors of goaltending with less stress?

I mentioned this after my first skate in them, but I've noticed getting my fat ass up off the ice from a butterfly requires much less effort in Konekts, too.

40 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I would also say that they are great if you get hot spots around your toes or on your heels. The hinge flex was the biggest selling point for me because I was getting a lot of heel pain when getting into a crouch, and I don't get that at all with these skates. I also noticed that my toes feel way better after games. I guess my old skates were a little too snug in the toe box (either from tying them too tight at the bottom or just the skate in general), and the extra room/no lace tension around the toes is a way bigger benefit than I would have expected.

1 hour ago, GalacticmG said:

I would also say that they are great if you get hot spots around your toes or on your heels. The hinge flex was the biggest selling point for me because I was getting a lot of heel pain when getting into a crouch, and I don't get that at all with these skates. I also noticed that my toes feel way better after games. I guess my old skates were a little too snug in the toe box (either from tying them too tight at the bottom or just the skate in general), and the extra room/no lace tension around the toes is a way bigger benefit than I would have expected.

Did you bake them with the toe sleeves or shims?

11 hours ago, Wrbsti15 said:

For those who have the skates and went through the fitting process did anyone use the shims or the toe sleeves? My shop doesn’t have either so I’m hoping there won’t be any fitment issues. 

I baked mine twice - first time with just the toe sleeves - no shims.

Second time with a shim on the instep. Can't recall if I used the toe sleeves the second time - the store might have lost them.

Whether you need the shims depends on the shape of your foot. I have a tall instep so I definitely should have used the shim on the first bake. If you've fit into a Bauer skate before, you'll likely be okay without shims.

4 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

I baked mine twice - first time with just the toe sleeves - no shims.

Second time with a shim on the instep. Can't recall if I used the toe sleeves the second time - the store might have lost them.

Whether you need the shims depends on the shape of your foot. I have a tall instep so I definitely should have used the shim on the first bake. If you've fit into a Bauer skate before, you'll likely be okay without shims.

Yeah I currently wear bauer pro skates. My retailer doesn’t have the toe sleeve, shims, or ice packs. 

27 minutes ago, Wrbsti15 said:

Did you bake them with the toe sleeves or shims?

I just used the toe sleeves. I have a very light hot spot on the top of my right foot, but it goes away after about 10 minutes. I'm waiting to see if that goes away with normal break in before I bake them again. The heel pain from my old skates was solved by the hinge itself.

4 minutes ago, GalacticmG said:

I just used the toe sleeves. I have a very light hot spot on the top of my right foot, but it goes away after about 10 minutes. I'm waiting to see if that goes away with normal break in before I bake them again. The heel pain from my old skates was solved by the hinge itself.

Good to know! I’ll have to figure out what to do about the toe sleeves