TGN Deep Dive: Bauer Konekt Skates

TheGoalNet

1 hour ago, Wrbsti15 said:

Where did you get spares? 

I just phoned up the store I bought them through and asked for some spares just in case they broke, they sent them free although I’m sure they could have, when I emailed Bauer to get some they said to contact the shop. 

36 minutes ago, Cass said:

I just phoned up the store I bought them through and asked for some spares just in case they broke, they sent them free although I’m sure they could have, when I emailed Bauer to get some they said to contact the shop. 

Thanks. My shop said I can’t get them unless they break 

2 minutes ago, Wrbsti15 said:

Thanks. My shop said I can’t get them unless they break 

See my shop said that at first because only they could replace them, but when I said they twisted out and didn’t need to come to a shop to done they said ok. The shop I got them in the UK thought you had to drill out the whole buckle section not realising that it was a simple screw in and out. 

8 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Still haven’t broken a buckle and I’ve had my skates since mid July…..

My skates have taken a beating too. Used on average 5-6 times a week since I got them

97268A44-51C2-4E40-9F22-288FDFA90882.thumb.jpeg.27717eaef642f40d3861e1a43d475570.jpeg

Now onto the important question, what process did you use to blackout your skates. They look awesome.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2022 at 7:52 PM, ZeroGravitas said:

I can't really tell. Seems to look and feel the same. I can snap some more pics.

I can see cable underneath the black "sleeve" on both of the buckles.

High-res pictures below, click to embiggen.

20220825_162951.thumb.jpg.243f044d4994fcbbc37aff653936ef54.jpg

20220825_162936.thumb.jpg.a3fd68882a5e8e0fb9f0854bc4d9af72.jpg

Mine didn’t seem to wanna screw out. I spun to left and it eventually stopped. 

3 hours ago, Wrbsti15 said:

Whelp my lower buckle broke last night in the 2nd period. Bauer has refused to send extra parts to be prepared. So now I wait for a fix. Parts should be readily available. Let’s go Bauer come on. 

3 hours ago, Wrbsti15 said:

Mine didn’t seem to wanna screw out. I spun to left and it eventually stopped. 

What excuse did Bauer give for not sending a replacement part?

You may have to pull on it while unscrewing it - it can be a little difficult. Keep attempting to unscrew even when it feels stopped and it will come out.

Contact your local store if Bauer isn't assisting, they may have some spare parts to give out.

If Bauer and your store can't help, DM me. My store did receive some to give out. I'll see if there are any remaining and if I can get you one.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, netminder said:

Im also curious about a few more things these skates can do... Has anyone ever played out as a player in them and/or goalie coached in them before? 

I do goalie coaching in them, you get all the benefits of what they are designed to do. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, netminder said:

Because I havent committed to total custom True like i previously posted yet. Im totally giving these types of skates the benefit of the doubt still and will patiently wait for the 2023 version this Spring and hope for its latching issues unresolved and a sub $900 price tag too. But I do casually skate out and coach and ive yet to see or hear a single comment with regards to other purpose skating in these. I suppose they are very close to Inline roller boots but im curious nonetheless.

Sent a PM
They don’t feel any different than they would with gear other than if you’re a bit lighter like myself the hinge doesn’t work as well. The hinge was designed to work best for those 150lbs and up. Presumably the mid level version will work better with lighter individuals and be more than sufficiently protective for the majority of people. 

Edited by ThatCarGuy

16 hours ago, netminder said:

Because I havent committed to total custom True like i previously posted yet. Im totally giving these types of skates the benefit of the doubt still and will patiently wait for the 2023 version this Spring and hope for its latching issues unresolved and a sub $900 price tag too. But I do casually skate out and coach and ive yet to see or hear a single comment with regards to other purpose skating in these. I suppose they are very close to Inline roller boots but im curious nonetheless.

They were designed to be a goalie skate... so they work very well in that capacity. I'm not sure how the buckles would do if you're skating out and take a shot to them... or if you're scrumming in the corner and a buckle gets flicked up. 

I can't think of any way that a skate would be bad for coaching regardless of the closure method... so that shouldn't be a concern.

To be fair to Konekts as well... I don't think they need the benefit of the doubt. They're proven to be just fine. Like any piece of equipment a goalie wears... you should always carry some spare parts. I personally haven't had any issues with any of my buckles but I still picked up a parts set. If that's an issue for you or you feel you shouldn't have to do that... then these skates just aren't for you.

https://www.sportrebel.com/Set-of-parts-for-Bauer-Konekt-goalkeeper-skates/8541 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Any chance these can be found in the US?  Quick googling only yielded international results, would love to pick up a set of spare parts to have on hand just in case.

On a related note, I took a shot off of the top buckle last night which unlatched it. Thankfully it happened with only a few seconds left in the period, during intermission I had a teammate look and no damage- buckle snapped right back and finished the game with no issues.  

Knock on wood, had these since August and no issues to date.  Still loving my Konekts!

Curious if anyone who has these can chime in on if these would be a good for someone with ankle issues? I'm coming back from a high ankle sprain and my Bauer Elites just aren't cutting it anymore. I was already considering the Konekts before my ankle injury but I'm thinking if they could help with some stability and relieve some pain, I might move my timeframe up a bit on purchasing these.

1 hour ago, Phil1p33 said:

Curious if anyone who has these can chime in on if these would be a good for someone with ankle issues? I'm coming back from a high ankle sprain and my Bauer Elites just aren't cutting it anymore. I was already considering the Konekts before my ankle injury but I'm thinking if they could help with some stability and relieve some pain, I might move my timeframe up a bit on purchasing these.

I don't think you should count on these for pain relief. That's what physiotherapy and anti-inflammatories are for. You should be following your doctor's advice on that, including, not aggravating the injury while it's healing by playing on it.

As for support, there might be some benefits there. The theory is that the hinge will allow you to really cinch down the top without affecting the ability for your to bend the ankle to load for pushes. In this regard, it's no more or less "supportive" from the front and back, since it's designed to move with you. The benefit might be that it reduces the negative space to either side keeping your ankle square to your foot along that axis. Whether or not that's going to benefit your injury, is really something you'll have to sit and think about. In theory, it could limit the range of motion side to side, which would limit the amount your ankle will roll. However I believe high sprains are caused by "turning" the ankle while flexed which this strapping system will not limit. You could even make the argument that because you now have MORE range of motion to flex your ankle due to the hinge, it might INCREASE the risk of another sprain.

Edited by goalieThreeOne
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, goalieThreeOne said:

I don't think you should count on these for pain relief. That's what physiotherapy and anti-inflammatories are for. You should be following your doctor's advice on that, including, not aggravating the injury while it's healing by playing on it.

As for support, there might be some benefits there. The theory is that the hinge will allow you to really cinch down the top without affecting the ability for your to bend the ankle to load for pushes. In this regard, it's no more or less "supportive" from the front and back, since it's designed to move with you. The benefit might be that it reduces the negative space to either side keeping your ankle square to your foot along that axis. Whether or not that's going to benefit your injury, is really something you'll have to sit and think about. In theory, it could limit the range of motion side to side, which would limit the amount your ankle will roll. However I believe high sprains are caused by "turning" the ankle while flexed which this strapping system will not limit. You could even make the argument that because you now have MORE range of motion to flex your ankle due to the hinge, it might INCREASE the risk of another sprain.

Hey appreciate the response. Realized my pain relief comment was a little silly as I definitely understand these wouldn't relieve my pain in any way. Reducing that negative space around the top of the ankle has been something that's been really intriguing to me. If I get my skates pretty tightly laced up top I can reduce some of that space but then I really limit my forward flex and if I loosen it up I get back some of that forward flex but I just get too much side to side flex  that throughout the game gets pretty sloppy. I know that no skate will be roll proof but I guess I'm ultimately trying to cheat back on getting some of that dorsiflexion back while still maintaining a level of support and stability. 

44 minutes ago, Phil1p33 said:

Hey appreciate the response. Realized my pain relief comment was a little silly as I definitely understand these wouldn't relieve my pain in any way. Reducing that negative space around the top of the ankle has been something that's been really intriguing to me. If I get my skates pretty tightly laced up top I can reduce some of that space but then I really limit my forward flex and if I loosen it up I get back some of that forward flex but I just get too much side to side flex  that throughout the game gets pretty sloppy. I know that no skate will be roll proof but I guess I'm ultimately trying to cheat back on getting some of that dorsiflexion back while still maintaining a level of support and stability. 

Disclaimer

Not a PT or doctor

But try this.  FRC training has done wonders for me with strength and mobility

• Thanks 1