TGN Deep Dive: Bauer Konekt Skates

TheGoalNet

On 8/20/2022 at 9:22 PM, jerd31 said:

Anyone with Konekts that can chime in with their sharpening experience?  

The kid at GM said I shouldn’t go with such a sharp hollow when I said I wanted 1/2”.  I have my blades profiled with a SAM cut and usually go with 7/16”.  He suggested I go with 5/8” on these as goalies have said 1/2” is “too sharp” on Konekts due to more blade staying on the surface during pushes.  I had them do 9/16” on these, I might not even use them before sending out for profiling though.  

I plan to send these and the LS5G’s I have on the way out for profiling and will sharpen at my usual 7/16” unless the feedback is otherwise from others using these. 

I'm using a 3/8" on mine... and that's a SPARX sharpening. I have found that I feel like I'm able to catch an edge easier with lateral movements in Konekt and the 3/8" has good bite... keeping in mind that I'm 5'10" and ~155lbs. 

On 8/18/2022 at 10:41 AM, Punisher Goalie said:

Wondering if anyone has any good ideas about how to best use ProLaces with the Konekts. @TheGoalNet previously posted a solution using an extra loop through the lower buckle, but I was hoping to avoid adding that extra step.

Using the ProLaces normally, it seems there is a risk that they will slip down and over the toe. Only idea I had was to stretch them to go through the rear hole of the holder and up so that the velcro tabs are between the two buckles, but then I'm a little concerned that they could accidentally flip the buckle forward during play. Any suggestions would be great.

Pro Laces sent me a piece of Velcro. it velcros on to it self. I wrap the loop over the mid foot buckle. Then put the prolaces velcro through that.

Ok so first impressions after one game…. 

I was asked to fill in for an A division beer league game tonight and brought my Konekts.  Prior to the game I swapped the stock insoles to my custom ones from Road Runner.  

When I stepped on the ice I was like, I’ve made a huge mistake- it felt like my first time on ice skates.  9/16” felt wayyyy too sharp for what I’m used to (7/16” SAM profile on my old CCM’s).  The feeling of the flex is super weird at first- it almost felt like my foot was coming out of the skate.  I must’ve looked like a complete noob during warmups.  

First shot I faced was a 2-1 and I was beat glove side.  I felt awkward trying to cut across the crease and stuck to shuffles for a while.  About halfway through the game I adjusted and felt pretty good on them. 

I played well, faced about 25 shots and only gave up that first goal less than a minute into the 1st period.  My feet felt pretty good, a little soreness but not bad at all for a brand new pair of skates.  

Once I adjusted to them, movement feels amazing.  It’s unlike anything I’ve ever experienced- my movements felt so much more efficient.  Push offs were easier- getting up from the butterfly felt so much smoother and with less effort than previous.  The hinged flex is a game changer.  

I’ll be sending out my LS5G steel I just received today for profiling, I can’t wait to see how they do once I get my ideal hollow tuned in.  

• Like 4

19 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

What does the store say when you call them? Did you pay for the Konekts? They've got to be able to tell you whether it's in transit or not at the very least.

Starting to think I’m not getting them. It’s almost been 3 weeks since ordered and bauer supposedly said 2 we’re in stock when ordered. I’d think they’d be here by now. Oh well. Just submitted my optik3 gear order ha ha. Black with black weave. 

4497F6B8-4B4A-43A9-AB2C-1F538E225AD8.jpeg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

I was also told 2 weeks but 2 weeks was last Wednesday. I know mine are coming from Canada but even my sideline swap order is coming faster.

Not sure where mine are coming from. I was told 2 available when ordered. If it’s not until April 2023 would be good to know ha ha 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Wrbsti15 said:

Starting to think I’m not getting them. It’s almost been 3 weeks since ordered and bauer supposedly said 2 we’re in stock when ordered.

Bauer said two were in stock? Not the retailer? I wonder if Bauer was mistaken about the inventory count. I don't know if/how Pure shares inventory counts with Bauer.

It does sound like you aren't gonna be getting them. I work at a different store - not Pure - and whenever we do transfers between stores, we get them in about 3-5 days.

1 minute ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Bauer said two were in stock? Not the retailer? I wonder if Bauer was mistaken about the inventory count. I don't know if/how Pure shares inventory counts with Bauer.

It does sound like you aren't gonna be getting them. I work at a different store - not Pure - and whenever we do transfers between stores, we get them in about 3-5 days.

Retailer said when they ordered them bauer showed 2 in stock from bauer.  But now I can’t get any eta 

14 hours ago, jerd31 said:

When I stepped on the ice I was like, I’ve made a huge mistake- it felt like my first time on ice skates.  9/16” felt wayyyy too sharp for what I’m used to (7/16” SAM profile on my old CCM’s).  The feeling of the flex is super weird at first- it almost felt like my foot was coming out of the skate.  I must’ve looked like a complete noob during warmups.  

Weird on the hollow... 9/16" is a shallower cut than the 7/16" you were used to. What made you choose a different radius in the first place?

10 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Weird on the hollow... 9/16" is a shallower cut than the 7/16" you were used to. What made you choose a different radius in the first place?

I know, I figured going 9/16" would be safe and allow me to adjust a little easier but it felt super sharp.  I mentioned in an earlier post the employee @ GM suggested I go 9/16" as more of the blade stays on the ice in Konekts so I just said whatever do 9/16" since I'll be sending them out for profiling anyway...it's possible the kid sharpening didn't do a great job or something, idk- or maybe I'm so used to the SAM profile that a non-profiled blade threw me off.  

9 minutes ago, jerd31 said:

I know, I figured going 9/16" would be safe and allow me to adjust a little easier but it felt super sharp.  I mentioned in an earlier post the employee @ GM suggested I go 9/16" as more of the blade stays on the ice in Konekts so I just said whatever do 9/16" since I'll be sending them out for profiling anyway...it's possible the kid sharpening didn't do a great job or something, idk- or maybe I'm so used to the SAM profile that a non-profiled blade threw me off.  

I use Sam profile 5/8 on my bauer pros. I’ll start with that on konekts since I’m going to transfer my tydan steel over 

19 minutes ago, netminder said:

Already seeing a few pairs of these for sale on Sideline Swap and its not because of quality issues or them needing mods already. I don't think I've seen this many regretful purchases within a month of a new launch by the public before, it includes a return in my hometown too.  Cant be a good sign......  Any pics of Pro's or semi-Pro's besides Vasi getting into these on the daily? Semi-Pro Kasimir Kaskisuo says no thanks to them after trying them out and he's a huge Bauer guy, I suspect he'll post a vid about it soon.

There’s two for sale currently on SLS, one says they’re not wide enough.  

Three pairs recently sold, one says they stopped playing hockey altogether.  Another said they bought the wrong size.  And one said they’re not for him.  

C66DB63F-4939-4062-ABEA-6FB656EA0E71.gif.74de900374be30b779353829b642de70.gif

Edited by jerd31
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So quick update, got my first game in these last Thursday.

Had some pretty bad foot pain in these, despite baking them twice.  The worst hot spots were on the outside of the foot and inside between the ankle bone and arch.

Picked out all the hot spots and used the foam spacers.  Got them baked for the third time, hopefully this takes care of it. 

image.thumb.png.ca8a118d5126d76ab8fb59bd8c3a9299.png

Also noticed the toe portion of my steel would occasionally engage with the ice when I was butterfly sliding laterally.  Took them to get the steel at the toe ground down a little bit.  I think the taller holder vs my True one-piece is the culprit. 

19 hours ago, jerd31 said:

Ok so first impressions after one game….

I was asked to fill in for an A division beer league game tonight and brought my Konekts.  Prior to the game I swapped the stock insoles to my custom ones from Road Runner. 

First shot I faced was a 2-1 and I was beat glove side.  I felt awkward trying to cut across the crease and stuck to shuffles for a while.  About halfway through the game I adjusted and felt pretty good on them.

I played well, faced about 25 shots and only gave up that first goal less than a minute into the 1st period.  My feet felt pretty good, a little soreness but not bad at all for a brand new pair of skates. 

Once I adjusted to them, movement feels amazing.  It’s unlike anything I’ve ever experienced- my movements felt so much more efficient.  Push offs were easier- getting up from the butterfly felt so much smoother and with less effort than previous.  The hinged flex is a game changer. 

I’ll be sending out my LS5G steel I just received today for profiling, I can’t wait to see how they do once I get my ideal hollow tuned in.  

4 hours ago, jerd31 said:

So a SAM has a 10' front radius, Bauer stock should be a 30'.  That's probably why they felt way too sharp is because you had that much more blade contact with the ice. Think of a round shovel vs. a square toe one.  If you're used to a SAM and going to a 30', you probably felt like you were on skis too. 

I gave my steel to my local guy to run a profile on, and he found some crazy inconsistencies between the two sides.  The front third and center was a little too tall on my left blade, and the back half was too tall on my right. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chenner29 said:

So a SAM has a 10' front radius, Bauer stock should be a 30'.  That's probably why they felt way too sharp is because you had that much more blade contact with the ice. Think of a round shovel vs. a square toe one.  If you're used to a SAM and going to a 30', you probably felt like you were on skis too. 

I gave my steel to my local guy to run a profile on, and he found some crazy inconsistencies between the two sides.  The front third and center was a little too tall on my left blade, and the back half was too tall on my right. 

Makes sense, appreciate it- my LS5G steel is going out tomorrow for profiling 👍🏻

4 minutes ago, Soca said:

Do y'all think more will come in stock or was this a small run? 

The only store in Northern California (pure hockey in San Jose) never got them or trained on how to bake them. I was really hoping to get a pair. 

I was told they are now back ordered until April 2023. I ordered mine 3 weeks ago when bauer showed 2 in stock but yet 3 weeks later and nothing. I’m prob gonna give up and keep my bauer pros 

On 8/24/2022 at 2:10 AM, jerd31 said:

There’s two for sale currently on SLS, one says they’re not wide enough.  

Three pairs recently sold, one says they stopped playing hockey altogether.  Another said they bought the wrong size.  And one said they’re not for him.  

C66DB63F-4939-4062-ABEA-6FB656EA0E71.gif.74de900374be30b779353829b642de70.gif

fact based fake. This is Netminder. lol

Skated this morning and the wire popped out of the buckle again. Pretty annoying to have it happen 5 minutes into a pickup, just after warmups. Didn't bother to stop and fix it. Had a game over the weekend where it stayed in place. Oh well.

Replacement buckle came today after my morning skate. Easy swap - just rotate the buckle (lefty loosey) and put the new one on (righty tighty). New buckle doesn't have an arrow on it to show which side is up. Hopefully this won't happen again.

20220825_162738.thumb.jpg.c60688eb9eb6d7a3cc69568e9b212a46.jpg

Edited by ZeroGravitas

6 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Skated this morning and the wire popped out of the buckle again. Pretty annoying to have it happen 5 minutes into a pickup, just after warmups. Didn't bother to stop and fix it. Had a game over the weekend where it stayed in place. Oh well.

Replacement buckle came today after my morning skate. Easy swap - just rotate the buckle (lefty loosey) and put the new one on (righty tighty). New buckle doesn't have an arrow on it to show which side is up. Hopefully this won't happen again.

20220825_162738.thumb.jpg.c60688eb9eb6d7a3cc69568e9b212a46.jpg

Looks like they used cable instead of the rigid metal attachment like before. Is this correct? If it uses cable there’s no need for an arrow since cable is flexible

Edited by ThatCarGuy