TGN Deep Dive: Bauer Konekt Skates

TheGoalNet

7 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

I work at my store one shift a week, sometimes two and that's enough. It may depend on your store rather than your full-time/part-time status.

That's crazy to me - they're one of the biggest hockey retailers in the US. Didn't Pure also buy the Bauer Experience retail locations, too? Seems like they would be really cozy with each other.

You would think

4 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

If you’re going Monkey try calling tomorrow. No particular reason. 

I called Monkey and 4 Pure Hockey locations in New England today. My last Bauer’s were 11.5 so I’m guessing I’ll need an 11. 

Of the stores that had the Konekt skates, nobody got a size 11 in. Pure Hockey has 10s and said they did not receive 11’s from Bauer.  Monkey said they didn’t have an 11 either. I was told to go to my local Pure Hockey and get a scan before driving a few hours for nothing, but I doubt a 10 fits if I wear a 12.5 shoe. Apparently the scanner will give a Konekt size even if the store doesn’t sell them. 

Are retailers not getting full size runs of these?  I didn’t think they would be so limited upon release. 

19 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

You in the States? Perhaps try the big box stores like Monkey and Pure?

If they're selling the Konekt, they will have the proper equipment (gloves, shims, toe sleeves, cold packs).

IMO, call a store and ask to speak to a manager. Tell him or her that you're looking to buy the Konekt but you're making a long trek and want to see if the manager can set you up to have a fitting appointment with his best skate fitter or most knowledgeable goalie employee. You can feign some ignorance and say that you heard it's a whole process to get the skate fitted and you want to make sure it's done right. If you're comfortable, make the appointment.

Your profile shows you've got Bauer skates so I don't think you'll have a difficult fit process. Someone like me whose high instep has always forced me to look at other brands might need more time to try on different sizes and make sure of the shims.

That said, the actual baking process is pretty straight forward as outlined HERE.

I was wondering why Bauer even opted to give us the stainless steel when Bauer's top two Supreme player skates for 2022 (Mach and M5 Pro) require customers to buy the steel separately. That stainless steel might be worth about $20-30 dollars to Bauer's gross margin but every little bit adds up...

Appreciate the input. I called the store I ordered my 2s Pro Customs from. Spoke to the Senior Assistant Manager and asked about my situation. He said that no one was trained yet, but, to give him a call in a couple weeks before I plan my trip to make sure he's there and he will have done the training himself. This was Pure Hockey Chesterfield, btw.

There's nothing difficult about my feet other than my ridiculous sub-C width and small instep. I'm wearing 8.75's now, so switching to size 8 steel will be an adjustment.

Regarding the steel, I ordered some Pulse Ti runners to go with them. It infuriates me to no end that Bauer shut down Tydan DLC Edge replacements, because those are the best runners I have ever used. I generally regard Bauer steel as hot garbage, so I hope this Pulse steel surprises me.

Edited by goalieThreeOne

59 minutes ago, goalieThreeOne said:

There's nothing difficult about my feet other than my ridiculous sub-C width and small instep. I'm wearing 8.75's now, so switching to size 8 steel will be an adjustment.

I have a similar width 8.5 foot and I’m pressed pretty well into the end of the 8s. And in honor of release day

17D8F6AC-9068-47F6-9602-283FD13D551B.thumb.jpeg.af3f80614ccaab64baa8ddd5f8de7eec.jpeg
I’ve worn them 5 skates now and absolutely love how effortless T pushes and butterfly slides are. Plus I feel much less stress on my knees in rvh for some reason

57 minutes ago, Jeffgtx said:

Thanks for all the great info!

is anybody able to use the "find retailer" on the bauer konekt mini site to actually show a retailer that has them?

Didn't seem to work for me.

In other news, looks like Pure has posted these up for sale online - https://goalie.purehockey.com/product/bauer-konekt-ice-hockey-goalie-skates-senior/itm/47420-41/

Interesting thing I just found out. If you've done a Bauer goalie scan on the 3D fit machine and had those results e-mailed to you, that link is still alive and is updated for Konekt.

I went through my old e-mails and saw that I had a saved scan from February 2019 and clicked it.

https://my.volumental.com/en/bauer_custom/44a9f081-3388-40d6-a161-b21f753cd40c/?utm_medium=myvemail

As you can see, there is now a tab on the far right that shows a Konekt size.

16 hours ago, Pl99 said:

I called Monkey and 4 Pure Hockey locations in New England today. My last Bauer’s were 11.5 so I’m guessing I’ll need an 11. 

Of the stores that had the Konekt skates, nobody got a size 11 in. Pure Hockey has 10s and said they did not receive 11’s from Bauer.  Monkey said they didn’t have an 11 either. I was told to go to my local Pure Hockey and get a scan before driving a few hours for nothing, but I doubt a 10 fits if I wear a 12.5 shoe. Apparently the scanner will give a Konekt size even if the store doesn’t sell them. 

Are retailers not getting full size runs of these?  I didn’t think they would be so limited upon release. 

So I drove over to my local Pure Hockey and got scanned on the machine.  I wear a 12.5/13 Nike and it said I was a size 10 Konekt. I was a bit surprised since my current VH’s have a size 11 OG Vertexx holder. Anyway, i decided to make the drive to another location that had the skates. 

I put on the 10s and they were snug.  I had them baked with the toe booties. My toes can touch the edge of the internal boot, but I was assured that was fine. I’m a bit skeptical, but they feel ok. Just tighter than my previous custom VH’s. 

Bought some upgraded steel and that was that. Looking forward to getting them on the ice. Only minor complaint was that they made me buy some bauer skate socks for the baking process.  Not sure if this is standard or not. It wasn’t like I was barefoot, but $20 Is $20

im not against a smaller runner, but I’ll probably need time to get used to them. Hoping the size is correct.  If it’s not, I wonder if I can exchange for 11’s when they come in?

On 7/29/2022 at 5:08 PM, Jeffgtx said:

all of a sudden the Koenkt is "product not found" on the pure goalie site.

My pair from Pure came in yesterday. I ordered early AM on Friday. Sounds like they realized they weren’t supposed to be selling these online later in the day… Either way I’m planning to go to my local Pure for baking.

I have made no secret of the fact that I am a super fanboy of these skates ever since the first glimpses appeared online. That said, my initial first impressions out of the box were beyond even my own inflated expectations. 

For anyone comparing these to cheap 90’s roller blades or whatever, forget it. You will drop that argument the instant you hold these skates in your hands. These boots are not cheap plastic. These buckles are not cheap or fragile. Live and in person, everything about these skates conveys a high quality, durable build. 

Even though I know these absolutely must be baked, I couldn’t resist trying them on for a “dry fit”. Even unbaked, (for my feet at least) they already feel more comfortable with less negative space than custom VHs I’ve had previously. I have only one slight concern for my own fit - my ankles are very skinny and I’m worried, even on the smallest setting, about getting the top strap as locked down as possible. Even as-is I can get them as tight or tighter on the ankle as my current CCM FT2, so anything beyond that will be a bonus.

Looking forward to getting them baked this week. 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2022 at 12:41 PM, goalieThreeOne said:

I'm an 8.25 and 8.5. I just wear 8.75 because I like the extra toe room.

I was wondering about toe cap room on the koenkt's, that seems to be a bit of a problem for a few people with regular Bauer goalie skates. 

2 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

I have only one slight concern for my own fit - my ankles are very skinny and I’m worried, even on the smallest setting, about getting the top strap as locked down as possible.

Did your box contain the fit shims?  I wonder if you can place some in your ankle area for more snugness there?

3 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Even though I know these absolutely must be baked, I couldn’t resist trying them on for a “dry fit”. Even unbaked, (for my feet at least) they already feel more comfortable with less negative space than custom VHs I’ve had previously. I have only one slight concern for my own fit - my ankles are very skinny and I’m worried, even on the smallest setting, about getting the top strap as locked down as possible. Even as-is I can get them as tight or tighter on the ankle as my current CCM FT2, so anything beyond that will be a bonus.

Looking forward to getting them baked this week. 

Before you put them in the oven, go back to your dry fit. You can twist the the top strap to do small adjustments to make it tighter and looser. You can also flip over the top "rack" portion and adjust the rack with the screws on the backside. Best to do this now because you will have no time when they are pulled out of the oven. You'll be cranking that top strap during the bake so you should get a good tight fit at the ankle.

I'm coming from True Customs too and I definitely agree that these have less negative space all around.

1 hour ago, Jeffgtx said:

Did your box contain the fit shims?  I wonder if you can place some in your ankle area for more snugness there?

The shims will create more space rather than eliminate space.