TGN Deep Dive: Bauer Konekt Skates

TheGoalNet

22 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

Skated in my Konekt only twice now... and thus far...

I feel really dumb for not putting 1 and 1 together on the naming of the skate. With almost no negative space, it feels like part of your foot... connected. My first steps on the ice with them were hard to describe, but it just felt like my foot had runners on them. Every flex of my ankle and foot translated into something on the ice. 

All the guys in the locker room made the obvious "I had rollerblades like that." or "Hey, you picked up some Langes." (only from the real old guys.) They all focused on the reduced time to get ready... and while that's true... the on-ice performance is something I'm still trying to accurately describe. My pushes and recoveries feel so much more natural because my foot really is connected to the ice. Forward flex is of course fantastic... but lateral movements are crisper and you get so much more feedback through the skate. 

The best comparison I can think of is to steering feedback in a car. A modern composite skate with traditional lacing can feel like a race car on your feet... sure you get the feel of the road but maybe too harsh at times. Older skates with a big cowling are like the floaty SUV where sure it goes where you want but you never really feel what's going on... there's a disconnect in feel from all of the softened connection points between you and the ice. The combination of the composite shell and more importantly IMO the liner with Konekt give you that perfect balance... in car terms steering feel that few beyond Porsche have ever been able to create. Dampened from harshness... but incredible feedback that lets you move like never before and with the confidence to push the limits and feel when you're at that limit before going past it. 

Used mine last night and this is a great description of how the skates feel - it's as though the blades are attached directly to your feet as opposed to standing on them. You can generate more power, you have more stability as the blades are more planted, and you feel more 'connected' to the ice. Happy to report no foot pain either, though I got my liner baked twice as I reused it with my second pair after returning the defective one.

Honestly the feel of the skate is more of a game changer than the hinge range of motion from my initial impressions. That being said, the hinge allows you to hold a more aggressive stance. I did notice I was overly driving my knees forward and 'crouching' more than I should with the hinge which lowered my hips and arms - something that will take some time to adjust, but the stability alone makes it worth the learning curve. Coming from Bauer 2S Pro skates for context.

Just now, Jeffgtx said:

If the person a few pages back is still looking for an 11 they are on pure goalie now as an option to store search. 

I saw!  Manager at my pure goalie said he can order them if they show on the site so I’m going to call tomorrow and hopefully get my hands on them soon

12 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

You know who does have 11s? (Definitely no particular bias)

B2E2EE74-944B-48F4-A03E-202F1A48E7E2.jpeg.e0da4912be815c70c349fa69b58dd4aa.jpeg

Called, was told 11’s are in stock in online warehouse but I have to go to the store to order them.  So I have to drive an hour and a half to my closest store just to order them.  

12 minutes ago, jerd31 said:

Called, was told 11’s are in stock in online warehouse but I have to go to the store to order them.  So I have to drive an hour and a half to my closest store just to order them.  

Try calling back and see if they can do a transfer and if they can hold it for you.

Might not work because transfers are typically from retail location to retail location, but it's worth a shot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Try calling back and see if they can do a transfer and if they can hold it for you.

Might not work because transfers are typically from retail location to retail location, but it's worth a shot.

I’ll give it a shot tomorrow