Was it really that bad? Looking back on past Goalie/Goalie gear controversies.

GoalieInTheDesertYT

I’ll start it off here.
1s pad durability.
Here are the pads in question.

7f0367c3-b71d-4724-9114-c76ebd36b967.thumb.jpg.655a9a345cfd8ca9fe7512e866273fdf.jpg
1s od1n SR size M  
Purchased in used condition June 2019.

Usage

August 2019 - March 2020
 I was using them 3-4 ice times a week with each ice time lasting about on average 1hr 15 min.
April 2020 - Today
Averaging to about 3-4 times a month with each ice time about 1 hr 30 min

Now that we got a rough estimate on how much I used these pads let’s take a look at the damage.

Face
I counted a total of 7 cuts on the face of the pad, all of which I covered with hockey tape. 2 major cuts. 5 small cuts that I can’t tell if it’s a cut or if it’s because the cortech just started to decay.

883a026e-5c29-49ab-b051-de54181408e9.thumb.jpg.7b3fb13123a4ecc796da7a19858f233e.jpg6a2e5c26-0359-47c7-a776-daea9e0bbe90.thumb.jpg.1fa5bfc56f36777ffc9a89177b458905.jpg

The top of the pad has it the worse with the cortech just peeling off.

258994b4-d2e6-4392-89bc-af3eff854048.thumb.jpg.0052a75dbf60db9cd792445eec60285d.jpg6680a328-9113-48eb-85b5-ba66b3fdb275.thumb.jpg.1e04e7fb5db4fcde7de7f79a1e570dae.jpg664db280-635c-4026-96c9-d05540bb89b5.thumb.jpg.56b5f91ee4c72619f6748e34928c7a18.jpg

Inner/Outer Gussets
Jeez where do I even start?
Bindings. Who thought it was a good idea to put bindings in the area which gets the most friction?
So those are starting to fray pretty bad. I can now see the edges of the cortech in some places.

f6de879b-f5f0-4b71-8c10-7a723153a30b.thumb.jpg.284ff709b9a37e8471785173ecd6bb45.jpg4a86b76a-15ea-44dd-92be-5f9231fb669c.thumb.jpg.fc462848cde133616a1b2ab79314ebcf.jpg

Don’t forget ripping cortech!

0ae73372-65c8-47e3-b883-9c9181465455.thumb.jpg.6d245fc8b93c7c071dd8318dd80ccf04.jpg

And whatever happened in these places!.

31eac3c5-87a5-455c-9a23-ee6e52b9a786.thumb.jpg.804cce431299d2030533a1fcaa4c886f.jpg7e0fe166-b985-4ae0-98c8-63b1ce6321bd.thumb.jpg.582072b3836546d350b76c41364e356e.jpg1a03c620-0d11-4dc3-917c-d5bf6bcfff2c.thumb.jpg.234b4f4a28a1b1b3112e3ae03115c93c.jpg

Verdict
Yes, the durability was just as bad as we remembered, but god damn the sliding on these are just as good as day one. 
Effortlessly moving across the ice with no problems.
Anyway,It may be time for me to get a better set of pads.

b6eba730-8d3f-41e2-8ed4-4a3f79c3174e.jpg

Edited by GoalieInTheDesertYT
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I always thought of boddam as a controversial brand but I don’t think they’ve had any issues directly with other manufacturers over copying specs and graphics. Just those of us who think graphics should belong to the brands. 
image.jpeg.58f029408c0965619fa1a03fc4a9c339.jpeg

Aren't you thinking of Battram? I heard that Battram was the one who was more involved in copying other companies' stuff. 

Funny - today's gear is all Chinese made stuff from only a handful of large companies. The days of small companies pushing the design of gear have passed.

Thus, why it was so controversial in the day. Small guys were on the same battlefield as the big brands. 

No more.

• 1 month later...

Puck foils and thigh rise were some fun days.

New York Islanders goalie Garth Snow makes a save against the Philadelphia  Flyers during first period NHL action in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania,  January 24, 2003. REUTERS/Beverly Schaefer BKS/ME Stock Photo - Alamy

Then you have the days when C/A were as big as the Incredible Hulk.

Goaltender Garth Snow of the Philadelphia Flyers looks on during a... News  Photo - Getty Images

Pretty much Garth Snow's career.

Luongo flap gate was interesting.

It's the goaltenders, stupid - PressReader

Ozzie wear your Islanders pants!

Photo: Florida Panthers Vs New York Islanders - - UPI.com

When I was a kid - rumor was that Brian Hayward while with the Habs had pads that were wider than they were tall. It was a point of hate during the playoffs against the Flyers.

BRYAN HAYWARD Montreal Canadiens autographed 8x10 photo (#3783) – Classic  Authentic

Was Gigurere as good as his gear? Hmmm...

Flashback: J-S Giguere used a stunning method to battle dehydration during  the 2003 Stanley Cup Playoffs - HockeyFeed

Edited by MTH

The older gang will remember this one: the company that came out with removable/interchangeable fronts of your pads. I thought it was a cool idea but his product got raped pretty bad by the community and for no good reason really. I would of like to see it take off for a bit.

Lexan thigh boards...ugh

The Onezie goalie helmet. It still hasn't made the market and I wonder if it ever will.

The recent floating steel thread cage built by that engineer...Singh? Points for trying but, no, sorry.

The Flex Martin blocker. Ingenuity or preposterous nonsense? 

Kevlar layers in gear. They do know that "stopping bullets" is just a figure of speech, right?

"The Nut Buddy" made famous by our GSBB's Timberwolfe. Game changer or just game "chamber"?

Christians odd shaped curved stick for better paddledowns. They were ok, sometimes.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RichMan said:

The older gang will remember this one: the company that came out with removable/interchangeable fronts of your pads. I thought it was a cool idea but his product got raped pretty bad by the community and for no good reason really. I would of like to see it take off for a bit.

Lexan thigh boards...ugh

The Onezie goalie helmet. It still hasn't made the market and I wonder if it ever will.

The recent floating steel thread cage built by that engineer...Singh? Points for trying but, no, sorry.

The Flex Martin blocker. Ingenuity or preposterous nonsense? 

Kevlar layers in gear. They do know that "stopping bullets" is just a figure of speech, right?

"The Nut Buddy" made famous by our GSBB's Timberwolfe. Game changer or just game "chamber"?

Christians odd shaped curved stick for better paddledowns. They were ok, sometimes.

I am on the younger side of the site, I remember using thigh boards for a total of 5 practices before chucking them because of how annoying they are.

the only interchangeable part of pads I remember being in pads is the one.9 interchangeable flex bars.
It’s cool to learn about goalie history on this thread. I may want to turn this into a vid series for my channel.

• Like 1

When the general public gets into historical shop talk about goalie gear, it's usually from the golden years straight up to the now. There's a lot of crazy stuff and dirty laundry in between that quite a few of us older cats can spit about with humour and horror, hence all that you're reading about in this thread.

I remember when I started getting into gear there was a whole argument on whether or not Warrior pads were the full 11” width. Glad we’re past that now.

Betting the next controversy is related to how high goalies wear their pads meaning they can wear a pad that plays bigger but is really the same size. First one that comes to mind is Blackwood

image.thumb.jpeg.af5f13fa2c36cdffbeef03050b44f18e.jpeg

2 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I remember when I started getting into gear there was a whole argument on whether or not Warrior pads were the full 11” width. Glad we’re past that now.

Probably because they weren't for a while. It wasn't truly fixed till the G4. 

Though, it was interesting to see how adamant people are about making sure their gear is full sized. As if it would make any discernable difference in stopping pucks. 

I am still lamenting the day they took away big thigh rises. At one point, I was in a 34+3. If you used a narrow butterfly like Gigeure, you could literally trap pucks in between them if they were ironing boards like mine. On the bright side, I progressively went smaller with my thigh rises and was able to move quicker and my skating improved.

Anyone remember the original Warrior Ritual C/A with the plastic arms? They actually ended up working pretty well but I remember a lot of folks writing them off because they looked funny.

4 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Probably because they weren't for a while. It wasn't truly fixed till the G4. 

Though, it was interesting to see how adamant people are about making sure their gear is full sized. As if it would make any discernable difference in stopping pucks. 

On the same train of thought: Bindingless vs binding on blockers. 

There was a minor discussion that bindingless blockers were better because they were full sized vs blockers with binding. 

While true, it was such a marginal amount that it was barely worth discussing, but I remember it being a bit of a topic for a bit. 

5 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Betting the next controversy is related to how high goalies wear their pads meaning they can wear a pad that plays bigger but is really the same size. First one that comes to mind is Blackwood

One source of mine said the league was looking into cutting down glove/blocker size again, but this was 2-3 years ago

Although, goalie equipment had gotten out of hand with how big it was pre 2004-05 lockout, the subsequent reductions of all gear, some pieces more than once, haven’t stopped people from complaining about goalie equipment size. The real difference now is the human under the gear is much bigger now than in yesteryear. 6’5” with long limbs will always look bigger than 5’8” with T-rex arms, regardless of how much gear you put on them. 
I have various pieces of gear that are likely pre-lockout (2004-05) spec. My John Brown 2100 CA being chief among them. At 5’10” and 190lbs., not a single person has commented on my CA being big, oversized or illegal. I think most of this stuff is just perception. They can keep reducing goalie gear for the rest of time, plenty of hockey people will continue to complain about it being too big. But it’s always going to be the giant wearing it making the net look small. 

• Like 1

Modern gear - size is easy to attain at no sacrifice to weight. So when non-goalies complain, they don't understand that the goalies of yore wore smaller gear because it both heavy and used different materials because the modern stuff wasn't around yet. Leather was sticky and got wet. Hard to slide on the ice with leather pads.

Hard to compare those guys with today.

Even the size of the player is significantly bigger.