need new pads havent played in years!!!!

pkbucks

Hey all,

Because of my own life stuff, I'm getting back into the game and looking for new pads. The last pads I bought were the Simmons version of the first generation Velocities in like 2002. Soooo the game has changed quite a bit since then....

I'd still use those pads on occasion (had helped coach a team a few years back)- I was never super thrilled with those because the thigh rise on pads back then was always short (leaky 5 hole). Back in my 'prime', I would have considered myself quite the butterfly style, though now would be considered an old man hybrid type. 

Things I'm concerned about in a new pad- 

-Sizing: Kind of hard for me to get to places where I can try on pads, but may have to rely on online ordering. In my ancient pads, I was a 34" (6ft tall) but never felt they came up high enough (no extra thigh rise for pads off the shelf back then)

-Butterfly slide: Never was able to do this in old pads and it looks like all pads are built around this now. Has anybody else made a similar transition? I feel like I'm gonna feel like I'm sliding out of control out there unable to stop.

-Rebounds: Honestly the concept of giving out really fast/hard rebounds is blasphemous from everything I was ever taught growing up, but that's the way the game is played now. I was reading that the CCM EFlex 5 was maybe the best at deadening rebouds and maybe a good transition for me.

Any recommendations that you all can give would be appreciated. Money is not an object in my situation (always wanted to be in a situation where I didn't need to cheap out on pads and here I am).  Still, would hate to drop $1800 on pads that stink. Also looking for catcher/blocker but I'm less worried about those- recommendations still welcomed.

Thanks!

25 minutes ago, pkbucks said:

Hey all,

Because of my own life stuff, I'm getting back into the game and looking for new pads. The last pads I bought were the Simmons version of the first generation Velocities in like 2002. Soooo the game has changed quite a bit since then....

I'd still use those pads on occasion (had helped coach a team a few years back)- I was never super thrilled with those because the thigh rise on pads back then was always short (leaky 5 hole). Back in my 'prime', I would have considered myself quite the butterfly style, though now would be considered an old man hybrid type. 

-Sizing: Kind of hard for me to get to places where I can try on pads, but may have to rely on online ordering. In my ancient pads, I was a 34" (6ft tall) but never felt they came up high enough (no extra thigh rise for pads off the shelf back then)

-Butterfly slide: Never was able to do this in old pads and it looks like all pads are built around this now. Has anybody else made a similar transition? I feel like I'm gonna feel like I'm sliding out of control out there unable to stop.

-Rebounds: Honestly the concept of giving out really fast/hard rebounds is blasphemous from everything I was ever taught growing up, but that's the way the game is played now. I was reading that the CCM EFlex 5 was maybe the best at deadening rebouds and maybe a good transition for me.

Any recommendations that you all can give would be appreciated. Money is not an object in my situation (always wanted to be in a situation where I didn't need to cheap out on pads and here I am).  Still, would hate to drop $1800 on pads that stink. Also looking for catcher/blocker but I'm less worried about those- recommendations still welcomed.

Thanks!

I have a pair of Bauer 2S Pros available for US$380 plus shipping. They are a size Large (equivalent to a 35+1). They kick out hard rebounds and are pretty good at sliding. I also have a pair of Ultrasonics for US$550 plus shipping in the same size. I haven't listed the Ultrasonics yet, but I intend to do so soon. Sliding on the Ultrasonics is seriously otherworldly. Slides that took some effort to perform with the 2S Pros are very smooth. With the Ultrasonics, I have to focus on stopping.

Let me know which one you are interested in, and I can send out pics to you. 

9 hours ago, Scythe said:

Do you guys that changed over from soft to hard like the hard ones better now? Is it one of those "how did I ever play using the old stuff" deals? 

I tried some Reebok P4's back in the day when those where the cool new thing and I felt like I was going to die (perhaps a slight exaggeration on my part). Couldn't move to save my life, but I was coming from Velocity 4's that were about as hard as an old pillow.

On 9/17/2022 at 5:25 PM, pkbucks said:

Hey all,

Thanks!

Hi, you will probably have the best luck measuring yourself and then referring to the manufacturer's sizing charts. If the softest rebounds are what you're after, the Vaughn Velocity line would likely be your best bet. I keep having new pairs of Velocity 4's made that can drop a slapshot within 12 inches from the leg pad and also kick pucks out of the zone. No first hand experience with the newer models.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Scythe said:

Do you guys that changed over from soft to hard like the hard ones better now? Is it one of those "how did I ever play using the old stuff" deals? 

Hated "stiff" pads growing up, now I very much prefer a pad with a very stiff thigh and knee, with a soft boot, but I still like the flex in the knee block.

Edited by keeperton
  • Like 1

I'm mostly in the same boat as you @pkbucks - kind of an old school guy that had to reacclimate at some point. I went from Bauer Reactor 3s to Velocity 3s to a myriad of different brands/styles (TPS R10, Reebok XLT come to mind and assorted "others" (including a custom set of V5s that were just too heavy as I spec'd them)) trying to become what I wasn't and could just never get comfortable before I landed on Simmons ULs. The biggest "problem" I had when trying the newer core-based offerings coming from stuffed pads was the stiffness of the boot break. I found that I need to feel the pad against my leg and have it flex with me as opposed to hanging off my leg. If you're like me I might suggest trying Simmons again (either their UL line or their 586 (?) line). The biggest difference you might have to adjust to would be wearing knee protection. That was part of my problem with the V5s as I spec'd them since I asked for the knee from the 7700s (that was therefore too narrow for knee pads - my bad). Of the big names - Vaughn would probably be the softest of the bunch. Each brand claims to have a more "hybrid" offering (like Eflex as you mentioned) but I've found even those were just a bridge too far for me. To hit on your questions...

SIZING: As most have mentioned above - either your ankle to knee or floor to knee measurement is going to govern based on manufacturer's sizing recommendations/charts. A ballpark estimate for most brands is to take your ankle to knee and double it. For instance - I'm like 16.5" ATK and wear 33" pads.

BUTTERFLY: Any pad you buy today is going to be a "butterfly" pad. Basically all you need to do is strap things loose enough that the pad will rotate on your leg and have a knee lift/landing (which every offering these days have). Differences are going to be: construction of that knee landing, materials of that knee landing, size of landing, etc. but all will have it.

REBOUNDS: Echoing from above - most of the core based pads are designed to be stiffer/shoot out rebounds compared to what you're coming from. If I were you I'd stick to Vaughn's Velocity line and/or Simmons.

Good luck - half the fun of getting new gear is checking things out (either online or in person) and sniffing around (like by asking questions on this board).

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 5:25 PM, pkbucks said:

Hey all,

Thanks!

Kenesky makes several vintages of pads from 70's to modern styles.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2022 at 1:43 PM, Scythe said:

For me, very much yes!   Going from Heaton Pro90z-->Battram's OG Velocity clone was a huge step in the right direction.   Going from those Battram pads to Brian's SubZero 2 or 3's (with a couple stops along the way) was another leap forward.  But I didn't really feel like I had it right until I had the chance to use Warrior GT/2 and G5, CCM Eflex4 (bad) and 5 (great) as well as Axis (good) and finally a custom Hyperlite/Ultrasonic mashup from Bauer.   If you held a gun to my head and told me the only way I could play goal was to go back to my Heatons or Battrams, I'd quit on the spot!    The easy rotation  and predictable rebounds from modern pads are tools that help anyone's game.   Elastic toe ties and tall knee stacks help with our health.  

The one piece of advice I have directly for you @pkbucks is be wary of Bauer pads if you have any knee/hip issues.   I had knee surgery a year ago and am still dealing with some lingering soreness and swelling after activity.  The landing stack is much firmer on my Bauer set than on either set of my CCM gear, and I feel it for much longer.   If you don't have anything like that going on, I'd go Bauer all the way.   Stock Hyperlite is a great pad and despite being much softer up top, you still get great rebounds.   Otherwise the VE9 stuff is top notch as well and has one of the best sliding surfaces in the game right now.    If you do go CCM I'd recommend custom or buying from a retailer who has a SMU line that replaces the SpeedSkin sliding surface with regular Clarino or better yet, weave.   I went from SpeedSkin on my EF4's to weave on my Axis and it totally changed my mind regarding CCM gear.  SpeedSkin is godawful on anything other than clean ice. 

Hey all, new to this forum , lots of great info here. I am like the OP as I played for a lot of years  ( late 70's up until 2004)  but had to stop due to " life" reasons. Always wanted to get back into playing but as the years went buy I thought I would be too old to play again ( I am 57 now). Last year my Wife convinced my to get back into playing....let my tell you , first game I played I though WTF have I gotten myself into but a season and a summer later I am so glad she talked me back into it, loving it.

So got some used equipment of course and the pads I started back with were the vaughn V4's in a senior 32+1 ...I thought they were a touch small but they felt great. looked into getting maybe a CCM's 33+1 to go slightly bigger so I bought set of CCM's that were advertised on sideline as a 33+1 ( custom ordered from seller so no size markings on them ) price was great and they are in great shape but they are bigger than he thought I guess.....tried them once but they feel quite huge on me...so i got another set of CCM's in a 32+1 and they feel comfortable ....I am  a hybrid goalie for sure and like mobility but would you guys suggest maybe trying the pads again?.....in the pic I would have preferred a size more in between these pads.....without knowing actual pad measurements I feel like these are more of a 33+2.5 (maybe 3 ). ....would you guys suggest more adjustment time?......

IMG_1557.JPG

1 hour ago, Rowdymoon said:

Hey all, new to this forum , lots of great info here. I am like the OP as I played for a lot of years  ( late 70's up until 2004)  but had to stop due to " life" reasons. Always wanted to get back into playing but as the years went buy I thought I would be too old to play again ( I am 57 now). Last year my Wife convinced my to get back into playing....let my tell you , first game I played I though WTF have I gotten myself into but a season and a summer later I am so glad she talked me back into it, loving it.

So got some used equipment of course and the pads I started back with were the vaughn V4's in a senior 32+1 ...I thought they were a touch small but they felt great. looked into getting maybe a CCM's 33+1 to go slightly bigger so I bought set of CCM's that were advertised on sideline as a 33+1 ( custom ordered from seller so no size markings on them ) price was great and they are in great shape but they are bigger than he thought I guess.....tried them once but they feel quite huge on me...so i got another set of CCM's in a 32+1 and they feel comfortable ....I am  a hybrid goalie for sure and like mobility but would you guys suggest maybe trying the pads again?.....in the pic I would have preferred a size more in between these pads.....without knowing actual pad measurements I feel like these are more of a 33+2.5 (maybe 3 ). ....would you guys suggest more adjustment time?......

IMG_1557.JPG

So just to clear this up for you a bit. A CCM 32 is the same as a Vaughn (velocity) 33. General rule that I use is that to size CCM, I go a size down from other pads. I'm a 33 in Vaughn, Warrior, Bauer, etc. But I'd be a 32 in CCM. 

That aside, the first place we'd need to start is to find out which size you're supposed to be using and go from there. All manufactures have a sizing chart for their pads, so that's the first pit stop. 

Here's CCM's size chart. Take a look through, do some measuring, and let us know where you land so we can help you figure out this new age leg pad technology: 

Note: Determining measurement 'A' is far more important than 'B'. Thigh rise size can be adjusted to and changed through technique. Landing on the knee stack is the most important part of pad sizing, 

ccmglp2018a.thumb.jpg.8e64df69b35a72ff31c1751b51a1ad0f.jpg

Edited by coopaloop1234
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

So just to clear this up for you a bit. A CCM 32 is the same as a Vaughn (velocity) 33. General rule that I use is that to size CCM, I go a size down from other pads. I'm a 33 in Vaughn, Warrior, Bauer, etc. But I'd be a 32 in CCM. 

That aside, the first place we'd need to start is to find out which size you're supposed to be using and go from there. All manufactures have a sizing chart for their pads, so that's the first pit stop. 

Here's CCM's size chart. Take a look through, do some measuring, and let us know where you land so we can help you figure out this new age leg pad technology: 

Note: Determining measurement 'A' is far more important than 'B'. Thigh rise size can be adjusted to and changed through technique. Landing on the knee stack is the most important part of pad sizing, 

ccmglp2018a.thumb.jpg.8e64df69b35a72ff31c1751b51a1ad0f.jpg

Did not know that about Vaughn to CCM sizing but ya....I am  19.75 FTK at 5'10"

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

So the "33" CCM should be your go to. The 32's will be a tad short. 

When wearing the 33's, where does your knee land when going down? 

The CCM 32's I land a touch above the center mark...the other pads ( blue white yellow ones) I land a touch below the center mark but the thigh rise is very high on those pads...thats why I am suspecting they are a plus 2 or more

12 minutes ago, Rowdymoon said:

The CCM 32's I land a touch above the center mark...the other pads ( blue white yellow ones) I land a touch below the center mark but the thigh rise is very high on those pads...thats why I am suspecting they are a plus 2 or more

By the chart you should be best in the 33's, but I can see how both essentially can work. 

Though, I have a feeling that the 33's aren't a true 33 is they're pro returns. They may be a custom size that doesn't match up to retail. 

Either way, since you're mostly landing center mass, I'd say it comes down to whichever pad feels more comfortable. Though I'd suggest giving the 33's more time and see if you can work around the increased thighrise. 

26 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

By the chart you should be best in the 33's, but I can see how both essentially can work. 

Though, I have a feeling that the 33's aren't a true 33 is they're pro returns. They may be a custom size that doesn't match up to retail. 

Either way, since you're mostly landing center mass, I'd say it comes down to whichever pad feels more comfortable. Though I'd suggest giving the 33's more time and see if you can work around the increased thighrise. 

I might try them again for sure....I also may try to find some retail 33+1's and compare them to the custom order ones.........gonna post some quick measurements of them in the off chance someone here has a set of factory 33's

• Like 1

Thanks all for your help! And not to worry about the mini-hijack. I’m glad you’re getting back into the game rowdymoon!

For those interested, I ended up ordering a used set of velocity v8’s to learn how modern pads work and what specs I like. May eventually purchase a brand new set at some point, but this should be a good start. 

On 9/26/2022 at 1:31 PM, Rowdymoon said:

Sorry for the rough Microsoft paint pic lol...but it works ...numbers are not 100% of course but close....

and my apologies to the OP didn't mean to hijack this thread

Hi

Based on those measurements (I'm assuming you took them off the face), pad on the right is not a 33+1 - it may be closer to a 35" or 36" base pad

The shin length should increase about 1/4" to 1/2" per size.  It's a little tricky on an older pad like this as manufacturers added to the boot as well

Assuming it's 1/4", 33 should hit at 11.5, 34 at 12, 35 at 12.25, 36 at 12.5, 36 at 12.75

Assuming 1/2", a 33 should be 11.75. a 34 at 12.25, and a 35 at 12.75

If you add up all the measurements, the pad on the left gets you to 32.5 - not quite 32+1 but close enough to say it's correct. 

The one on the right adds up to 36.25, 2.25 inches over what the seller advertised

19 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Hi

Based on those measurements (I'm assuming you took them off the face), pad on the right is not a 33+1 - it may be closer to a 35" or 36" base pad

The shin length should increase about 1/4" to 1/2" per size.  It's a little tricky on an older pad like this as manufacturers added to the boot as well

Assuming it's 1/4", 33 should hit at 11.5, 34 at 12, 35 at 12.25, 36 at 12.5, 36 at 12.75

Assuming 1/2", a 33 should be 11.75. a 34 at 12.25, and a 35 at 12.75

If you add up all the measurements, the pad on the left gets you to 32.5 - not quite 32+1 but close enough to say it's correct. 

The one on the right adds up to 36.25, 2.25 inches over what the seller advertised

Some good info thanks........I was thinking 34 ish myself ..the thigh rise being bigger I was thinking maybe a 2..2.5.......thses pads are a touch big for my comfort zone...I'm thinking a true 33+1 should be where I want to go.....to bad cause the pads are in great shape .........thanks again for the input.

Edited by Rowdymoon

2 hours ago, Rowdymoon said:

Some good info thanks........I was thinking 34 ish myself ..the thigh rise being bigger I was thinking maybe a 2..2.5.......thses pads are a touch big for my comfort zone...I'm thinking a true 33+1 should be where I want to go.....to bad cause the pads are in great shape .........thanks again for the input.

I dug through some old chats and found my 33" CCM Eflex 1 measurements when we were matching them up to a Kenesky set I custom ordered
Measurements were taken with a cloth tape measure and I went stitch line to stitch line

7.5" boot
11" shin
7" knee rolls
Thigh rise TBD