Adding wrist strap to Warrior glove

indykrap

Hey all,

Wanted to show a pic of a mod I just did. I didn’t feel like my trusty G4 glove felt as “connected” to my hand as I wanted it to be, so I added a wrist strap!

I cut off the strap from a lizard skins glove I had around that didn’t really do it for me, and velcroed it to the bottom of the removable palm. I’ll have a pickup game tomorrow to try it out but even just tossing around a lacrosse ball at home felt very good. 

I know KOVA makes a product for this, but this was a cheap ($0, basically) way of trying it out. 

Will report back!

7FC35A2B-95CD-4E65-913F-89E05479829A.jpeg

5A3B9028-1AA2-4B16-B3BE-0AB5FB9CBFC8.jpeg

Edited by indykrap

No wrist strap is precisely the reason I like Warrior gloves. The strapping across the back of my hand is phenomenal, and I've got a very slim hand. I have yet to find a glove that gives me the same range of motion with my wrist, and also feels as locked in as a Warrior.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Simple mod. 

I have a lizard skin glove myself and the wrist strap is pretty malleable/stretchy. 

I'm curious to see if this will have enough resistance to keep in secure like you're after. 

Yeah, might not work long term - I’ll have to see how it holds up but can definitely think of other ways to accomplish the same result. I’ve got a few leftover straps from old pads that might do it too. 

• Like 1

At first I thought you were simply trying to revert the Warrior strapping ingenuity back to the traditional setup most every other glove uses which is counter productive. But alas, I now see what you are doing. Isn't this available on the G6? Guessing here.

Your idea makes sense as myself I don't like to strap down my glove like crazy but would love to feel secure that my GT2 won't fly off my hand on a solid sniper. The mobility would still be full on as intended. Cool.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2022 at 6:17 PM, CJ Boiss said:

No wrist strap is precisely the reason I like Warrior gloves. The strapping across the back of my hand is phenomenal, and I've got a very slim hand. I have yet to find a glove that gives me the same range of motion with my wrist, and also feels as locked in as a Warrior.

7 hours ago, RichMan said:

At first I thought you were simply trying to revert the Warrior strapping ingenuity back to the traditional setup most every other glove uses which is counter productive. But alas, I now see what you are doing. Isn't this available on the G6? Guessing here.

Your idea makes sense as myself I don't like to strap down my glove like crazy but would love to feel secure that my GT2 won't fly off my hand on a solid sniper. The mobility would still be full on as intended. Cool.

I own and use the Kova strap (first on my G5 and now G6). This is the beauty of the design - you maintain full wrist flex but have a more secure feeling that the glove is anchored to the wrist. I found that I had to crank the backhand padding uncomfortably tight to get that 100% confident feeling that the glove could not come off accidentally during play. It’s a pretty ingenious solution IMO. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RichMan said:

Honestly? Kind of, haha. I like the Warrior glove for just about every reason and appreciate the flexibility around the back of the hand, but have noted it doesn't feel super secure for me without that last connection point around the wrist. I've found it moves around a bit too much on my hand for my liking so it doesn't sit in a consistent spot and I fidget with it a bit too much during games for my liking. This is usually remedied for a short while after washing the palm insert (sweat/grime buildup making it more slippery) but after playing for a bit it seems to go right back to the problem.

As an update, I had a game yesterday morning with it. Since the strap is pretty elastic I didn't notice much issue in wrist flexibility. Catching was easier and I found I palmed the puck a lot less and caught it in the pocket more consistently, which was nice. Playing the puck was also improved with how it sat on my hand. It's pretty easy to take on and off with the velcro I used, so I'll have to give it a bit more testing. Long term, something a little nicer like the Kova strap would be good. You're right - it does look like they've added it for the G6 as a custom option too.

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

If you like this, but this version does not hold up, contact Dennis at Factory Mad. I had a Bauer 1S pro return without a wrist strap. He made a more permanent version of what you have for me. No sewing required to install.

Kova has a off the shelf one ready to go for Warrior gloves. 

https://kovagoalie.fi/shop/accessories/warrior-catcher-wrist-strap/

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/7/2022 at 1:30 PM, johncho said:

The Kova one looks super clean and nice, but I wonder how much it will end up being once customs and shippings accounted for.

EDIT: 13$ bucks... huh not that bad

I've used it a few times now and it's not for me, but I'm happy to let go of it for reasonably cheap if you wanted to try it out!

• Like 1