Why so many concussions from shots lately?

1C5

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, ghscott said:

I want to support him, but at the same time have to protect him in anyway that I can, either by giving him better equipment or not letting him play.  It is interesting in speaking with coaches and players in the area, no one seems to think there is a concern for goalies related to pucks to the mask and concussions.

Hockey is a huge part of my family, but if my 11 year-old suffered multiple concussions already at that age, I would seriously consider stopping hockey for him and looking into another sport. I think once you already suffer one or two, it usually just goes down-hill from there. The best masks in the world can only help so much.

1 hour ago, estogoalie said:

Hockey is a huge part of my family, but if my 11 year-old suffered multiple concussions already at that age, I would seriously consider stopping hockey for him and looking into another sport. I think once you already suffer one or two, it usually just goes down-hill from there. The best masks in the world can only help so much.

Agreed. Fully developed brain? Sure, there is a bit of leeway. At 12? My kid is playing chess.

• 1 month later...

Btw ive been thinking about the different foams that people/companies put in masks, and really i don't know the difference, as far as i know there isnt a study done on how effective the different foams are compared to each other, so having endless amounts of time on my hands at the moment ive been coming up with a way to test the different foams. if there is interest, i could make it a project on here and maybe with some help come up with some useful results

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

Oh god, not the VT link... lol. 

Listen, I am the champion that something Jason Kelce for a lineman does not apply to Marc-Andre Fleury. However, the idea of something that absorbs the pucks impact that is soft makes empirical sense. I would love to see this tried in hockey. 

8 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Listen, I am the champion that something Jason Kelce for a lineman does not apply to Marc-Andre Fleury. However, the idea of something that absorbs the pucks impact that is soft makes empirical sense. I would love to see this tried in hockey. 

That's fine. I just cringe any time I see anything related to VT and hockey. Their helmet ratings are a joke based on a flawed study. 

I think this was the initial thinking behind the Wall Pro Active (or W4 as it is now) - that a softer, rubberised shell would diffuse, rather than pass on, impact.  having held one, the outer shell has a slight give to it similar to if you pressed your thumbnail into a puck.

• 1 year later...

How about some sort of Hans device that the race car drivers are wearing that goalies could wear or neck rolls. I wore neck rolls [80's] on my high school football shoulder pads and remember a couple NHL'ers in the 80's or early 90's that wore neck rolls. Would probably be too radical of an addition with mobility concerns in mind but could and probably would help with the whiplash effect. 

5187341946_cb783e9465_o.png

On 4/16/2018 at 1:19 PM, Znowleopard said:

Btw ive been thinking about the different foams that people/companies put in masks, and really i don't know the difference, as far as i know there isnt a study done on how effective the different foams are compared to each other, so having endless amounts of time on my hands at the moment ive been coming up with a way to test the different foams. if there is interest, i could make it a project on here and maybe with some help come up with some useful results

Ever do any thing with this?

Archived