NHL Knee pad database

RedX

I know that similar databases were done with chest protectors and their has been gear tracking stuff but the knee pad is still a mystery. Knee pads rarely show up on Pro Stock or pro return sites. I decided to start a new thread dedicated to knee pads being used in the NHL, maybe as a way to confirm what at retail is deemed “NHL worthy.” I don’t think any company has really nailed down that design. Honestly the closet would be that the old Koho 590, similar to chest protector you can kind see the evolution of that design and that it still exists under the CCM 1.9 design. 

One thing of note doing initial dives into this was the amount of seemingly “stock” retail knee pads. Do we truly know if they’re beefed up or not? No we don’t. But we seem to have moved away from EQ modified or custom made knee pads. Older members of the board will remember the Swiss modified Grey Koho/RbK/Reebok knee pads.

I do have a theory that most guys are in models closer to retail because that’s all they’ve ever known. A majority of the NHL goalies never played through thigh boards or knee pads attached to pants and maybe didn’t have the search for something they were comfortable in.  

Edited by RedX
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Ooh fun

Vasi circa 2020: Bauer 1X

image.thumb.png.f7b08c27443443d3bfe98d490b38d178.png

Colin Delia circa 2019: PAW?

image.png.3167fe58befd82b886ac74dcdf931b50.png

IIRC Fleury has some mangled, super basic nylon and foam OG Bauer Reactors kinda like this.  Couldn't find any high quality images on Getty though

image.png.f554d6e40775598d9cffe49dfe9dbd4d.png

Fleury certainly was (is?) using this Reactor style which i screen grabbed a from a catalog from 1997. I’m not sure if he ever had them rebuilt, but I have seen plastic added to the thighs of them. 

IMG_8509.jpeg

1 hour ago, Chenner29 said:

McElhinney wore Passau

image.png.5163de9eb577bafb1db99aebbe1002c6.png

He also made two vids about this absolute unit of a franken-knee

https://www.instagram.com/p/CeghopyD_HA/

I’ve seen that video too. The flatness of the landing is such an interesting concept that makes sense for stability. 

His logic was a basis of my theory on the rise of seemingly “retail” knee pads. A lot of the under 30 goalies never had that experience of thigh boards or when the NHL removed the attached Giggy knees (which is still a sore spot to me). 

A lot of current crop of goalies would have used stock knee pads their whole career and just stuck with them. 

29 minutes ago, RedX said:

His logic was a basis of my theory on the rise of seemingly “retail” knee pads. A lot of the under 30 goalies never had that experience of thigh boards or when the NHL removed the attached Giggy knees (which is still a sore spot to me). 

Thigh boards were always awful. 

I enjoyed the attached thigh wraps that came with some pads (V4/V5), but transitioning from those to separate knee pads was generally a jump up in protection. 

• Like 1

I've had the privilege of wearing the following over the years (all models used at one time by a pro during their career as well):

- Cooper GK1 (they were a cream coloured vynil) 
- D&R GK (they were white plastic with a brownish leather hinge between the thigh and the knee, they kind of looked like the prehistoric Koho)
- John Brown
- Luongo custom knee setup (I think Sara at PAW had her hands involved in those. They could be attached to your pants)
- Bauer Vapor 1X
- Brian's Optik
- Warrior (currently wearing the senior version only. The pros are CONSIDERABLY too much beefier)